Trailer tires - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2017, 09:54 PM   #1

Name: J
Trailer: Casita 16
Saskatchewan
Trailer tires

Does any company make trailer tires rated M+S ? This rating is required to tow through the rocky mountains in British Colombia After October 01
Stoonies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 07:45 PM   #2

Name: Elliott
Trailer: Bigfoot
Everywhere
Are you sure they require that trailers need M+S tires, not just the tow vehicle? I've never really heard of seasonal ratings on trailer tires. I guess you could go with LT (light truck) tires instead, though they may be a bit less stable on dry highways at high speeds.
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 08:03 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Trailer tires

Agree. I've never heard of M/S rated ST tires. LT tires are not made in smaller sizes used by many molded trailers.

Perhaps you could contact the agency that posted the rule and ask for clarification.

During an actual weather event I've heard of putting chains on trailers. For myself I'd find another route or wait it out before I'd subject a molded trailer to that kind of abuse.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 08:59 AM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
I agree with you jon too risky in those mountains find another route if you must go!
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 10:14 AM   #5

Saskatchewan
Thanks all. The tire manufacturer indicated they don't make m+s rated trailer tires, and gave me a link to the BC government site to see why. I had already checked there, and I may be missing something in the 'translation', so to speak. The government site describes vehicles as including trailers, and their info on winter tire requirements refers to 'vehicles', with some specifics but nothing to exclude trailers. We may pursue it further with them down the line, but for now it turns out to be a non-issue for us as we ended up over-committed with work and have to put off our plans until next summer.
Old 10-06-2017, 06:36 AM   #6

Name: Gary and Myrl
Trailer: Bigfoot 2024 21RB
Arizona
Registry
M&S trailer tires

Our tires are 5+ years old, purchased by previous owner. They are stamped M&S. 215/75r14 is the size. "Golden Fury" is the brand name so suspect cheap Chinese.
upfisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 08:33 AM   #7

Saskatchewan
Good to know, thanks.
Old 10-06-2017, 08:52 AM   #8

Missouri
wow 5 years out of chineese tires on a heavy trailer. Many miles on them?

thanks

bob
Old 10-06-2017, 10:18 AM   #9

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
wow 5 years out of chineese tires on a heavy trailer. Many miles on them?

thanks

bob
I think all the tire manufacturers these days use materials of different quality or with different thickness to sidewall or tread in order to sell at different price points. Chinese or American.

You can tell picking some up they are just lighter or heavier than another brand in the same size. A closer look will show weight difference is probably in the amount of material. Throw in that some of the raw materials cost more it isn't surprising that most brands have a lighter weight, more plastic than rubber, but less expensive tire model available.

Small tires even more than car or truck. 25 years ago we used to charge more to mount some brand motorcycle tires, we worked by hand with tire spoons and some where stiff and plastic and a total PITA to get on, others were good quality rubber but they had a premium cost.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 10:26 AM   #10

Missouri
rogerdat I even changed my own motorcycle tires one time! Was it fun no but I ordered them off the net and got started. I got better because I did some research and ordered them.

tire changing is a lot of grunt and swearing!

bob
Old 10-06-2017, 10:41 AM   #11

Missouri
rogerdat I see we are running the same rigs!

bob
Old 10-06-2017, 11:14 AM   #12

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by upfisk View Post
Our tires are 5+ years old, purchased by previous owner. They are stamped M&S. 215/75r14 is the size. "Golden Fury" is the brand name so suspect cheap Chinese.
Is this an ST tire?

Last I heard the only ST tire manufactured in North America was the Goodyear Endurance. Even other reputable brands, such as Carlisle and Maxxis, import their ST tires from overseas. A lot depends on the extent to which they maintain quality control over the design, materials, and manufacturing process, regardless of the nationality of the workers.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 11:16 AM   #13

Missouri
tires

don't know but I like the 5 year part. trying to find out their milage on the tires!

personally I would not run tires that long on a trailer!

best regards

bob

Tags
tires