Transmission Oil Cooler - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2009, 09:50 PM   #1

Trailer: 1977 Trillium 13 ft
I own a 2009 Dodge Grand Caravan ... no Tow Pkg and no Tranny cooler. Some say I do not need one including one well-known transmission shop chain. My trailer weighs about 1000+ pounds dry. But after much reading, I've decided to play it safe and have one installed.

My question ... who do I have install it? I live in Burlington, near Hamilton, Oakville, Toronto ... all in SW Ontario. Some companies: UHaul, Aamco, Mr. Transmission, Ace. Does anyone have a recommendation?

Thanks, Clark
Clark Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 10:00 PM   #2

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Clark Martin... I have a really good local shop ( A&E Radiator) that specializes in radiator repairs. Since a tranny cooler is essentially a radiator for the transmission I'd look for a rad shop. Just my humble opinion.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 03:33 PM   #3

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
Clark I would not rely to much on the advice of the well known transmission chain that you really don't need a transmission cooler. Guess who might benefit if you need to replace your transmission because it failed due to overheating ? I think you are wise to go with the transmission cooler. Lee
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 03:54 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
If you are going to tow something---Get a Trany cooler. It will pay in the end. I know from experiance, I did blow a Trany once in 1968---Cost was $450 back then, lots of money for me.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:04 PM   #5

Trailer: Boler 1300 1977 (#2033 L EGGO)
Quote:
My question ... who do I have install it? I live in Burlington, near Hamilton, Oakville, Toronto ... all in SW Ontario. Some companies: UHaul, Aamco, Mr. Transmission, Ace. Does anyone have a recommendation?

Thanks, Clark
Hi Clark,

General recommendation to me was "get one", so I did. Most reasonable was U-Haul, a vast network with years of experience. Didn't have any noticeable problem before or after but I feel more comfortable with their product installed.

Des
Des Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:49 PM   #6

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I had one installed on my car at a transmission shop.

There was something I turned up in my research that I can't remember the details on now (you know how sometimes you research to find the "right" product but then don't remember why later on), but it had to do with getting one that had some kind of non-return valve for colder weather. That may have gone the way of the dodo bird, but it might be worth asking about.
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:58 PM   #7

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I used UHaul for my Element cooler and had no problems. Price was good and it must have worked well.. I had no tranny issues.

Having the tranny rebuilt in my Jeep was near 3k $$$$$$. Warranty covered it, but still, it was not cheap in time and hassle.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 01:51 PM   #8

Trailer: 2008 17 ft Escape B / 2005 Tacoma 4x4 D Cab
I had the Toyota dealer install one because my truck, like your van, is still under warranty. At least price it out. The cheapest may not be the best!!! The "transmission guy" at the dealer who plumbed in the cooler did a very neat and tidy install.
I have used my local Uhaul once to install a hitch and a 4 pin plug because they were cheap but after looking at the hack job they did I would never go back.
BC Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 03:06 PM   #9

Trailer: 1977 Trillium 13 ft
Quote:
I had the Toyota dealer install one because my truck, like your van, is still under warranty. At least price it out. The cheapest may not be the best!!! The "transmission guy" at the dealer who plumbed in the cooler did a very neat and tidy install.
I have used my local Uhaul once to install a hitch and a 4 pin plug because they were cheap but after looking at the hack job they did I would never go back.
Thanks to all of you for your input.

Paul, I was at my Chrysler dealer this afternoon and strange as it may seem, the service guy there, recommended a local transmission repair shop (not a chain) to do the work. I'm waiting for a call back from this shop since he wanted to do some research before giving me a firm price ... he did give me a ball-park number ($200). I called the dealer again after reading your message and they will do it for about $270, not a surprise that it's higher. Will decide in a couple of days. I'm leaning toward the dealer for same reason as yours.

Clark
Clark Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:05 PM   #10

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19 (was 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up)
Registry
Quote:
Thanks to all of you for your input.

Paul, I was at my Chrysler dealer this afternoon and strange as it may seem, the service guy there, recommended a local transmission repair shop (not a chain) to do the work. I'm waiting for a call back from this shop since he wanted to do some research before giving me a firm price ... he did give me a ball-park number ($200). I called the dealer again after reading your message and they will do it for about $270, not a surprise that it's higher. Will decide in a couple of days. I'm leaning toward the dealer for same reason as yours.

Clark
Clark,
I don't know if you had a cooler installed yet, but they are fairly easy to do yourself as long as you can get access to the radiator area. I installed mine on my Subaru Outback after doing some research on Subaru forums since several people had added photos and descriptions to help anyone doing the job themselves. I purchased mine through etrailer.com and they have several sizes available depending on how much you expect to haul.

John
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 05:55 AM   #11

Name: Parker
Trailer: Escape 19
Ohio
Quote:
I installed mine on my Subaru Outback after doing some research on Subaru forums since several people had added photos and descriptions to help anyone doing the job themselves.
John,

Any photos of your installation or links to the Subaru forum available? I'm about to do the same (well, when it's warm enough to work on) and just assumed I'd take our Outback to a garage.

Parker
Parker Buckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 05:58 PM   #12

Trailer: 2000 24 ft Shasta Ultra Flite
One note on a tranny cooler if you live in a very cold climate, cover it up in the winter or it could freeze, the tranny will overheat and fail, I know from expirence, halfway between Saskatoon and Regina the tranny went on my 78 lebaron $1500 in Davidson about 1982, temp was about -30
Rick kl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 06:36 PM   #13

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19 (was 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up)
Registry
Quote:
John,

Any photos of your installation or links to the Subaru forum available? I'm about to do the same (well, when it's warm enough to work on) and just assumed I'd take our Outback to a garage.

Parker
Hi Parker,
Here's a link to the forum I used in my search. It has several responses to frequently asked questions, and several photos. I even added some photos on how to get the front grill off my 2008 model Subaru which is a little more complex than the earlier models.
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/showth...smission+cooler
Old 01-06-2010, 06:32 AM   #14

Name: Parker
Trailer: Escape 19
Ohio
Quote:
Hi Parker,
Here's a link to the forum I used in my search. It has several responses to frequently asked questions, and several photos. I even added some photos on how to get the front grill off my 2008 model Subaru which is a little more complex than the earlier models.
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/showth...smission+cooler
John,

Thanks! I noticed some unkind words about installing on the 3.0, which is what we happen to have. I know a really good local garage, so I may let them have the honor. Either way, it looks like a very practical mod.

Parker
Parker Buckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:51 PM   #15

Trailer: Eggcamper
Registry
Quote:
John,

Thanks! I noticed some unkind words about installing on the 3.0, which is what we happen to have. I know a really good local garage, so I may let them have the honor. Either way, it looks like a very practical mod.

Parker
Regarding the comment on cold weather use and tranny cooler - I put on a new style Long by Dana. It has a low temp bypass designed into it - when fluid is cold and thinker it goes through the bypass - as it warms up it travels through the smaller cooler fins.

Also, for those without much 'cooler' experience - Honda strongly recommends both a tranny AND power steering cooler. I have lots of mechanical experience and laughed when they suggested a larger PS cooler for towing - then I read some engineering data - boy was I surprised. It seems the heat buildup from PS is faster than the tranny - I didn't hesitate to put two coolers on my 2007 Honda Ody!

Bill
Old 01-09-2010, 12:19 AM   #16

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
When I put one on my car in 2002 I paid attention to the low temp bypass, as I was in Minnesota at the time. It seemed then that it was a pretty common feature. I wonder if it's "standard" now, or if you (still) have to seek it out? I suspect the former but I don't know as I haven't checked into it at all since 2002 (and even then was only looking for my specific vehicle).

In other words, I wonder if it is still a new/optional feature, or if they all have it now?

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:04 AM   #17

Registry
Quote:
When I put one on my car in 2002 I paid attention to the low temp bypass, as I was in Minnesota at the time. It seemed then that it was a pretty common feature. I wonder if it's "standard" now, or if you (still) have to seek it out? I suspect the former but I don't know as I haven't checked into it at all since 2002 (and even then was only looking for my specific vehicle).

In other words, I wonder if it is still a new/optional feature, or if they all have it now?

Raya
I checked mine before ordering it, and the B&M Supercooler I purchased does have that bypass feature. I don't know if they all have that feature but I feel that it's an important feature even in FL, where they are having freezing temperatures this week. I heard on the news today that every state had freezing temperatures today in some part of the state, except Hawaii.
Old 01-16-2010, 12:35 PM   #18

Trailer: U-Haul
Hello, I'm new to this forum and new to towing a fiberglass travel trailer. As a newbie I've been spending alot of time in the archives and gleaning lots of good information. You seem like a great group of people who are enjoying your trailers and willing to share your expertise.

I recently purchased a UHaul 13 ft trailer and am planning on a trip to Yellowstone N.P. this coming May. My tow vehicle is a 1992 Toyota Previa and I'm in the process of getting it tow ready.

I have lots of questions, however, right now I'm trying to decide on a transmission cooler for my Previa. Does anyone have an opinion on this cooler:

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/details/...widteT52zf#desc

Thanks,
David A. L.
located on the Olympic Peninsula, Washington State
David A. L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 11:13 PM   #19

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Check out the coolers at JC Whitney. Great prices.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/jcwhitney/textsea...equestid=977928

They also have a catalog just for campers.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:51 AM   #20

Trailer: U-Haul
Thank You Darwin,
This gets me to: Is a plate type radiator better than the tube and fin type?

The difference in price between that first unit I was looking at and the heavy duty model JCW sells isn't huge. One unit is smaller, however, access to the front of the radiator on the previa isn't difficult, so size isn't a deciding factor if the efficiency are equal. Is one better than the other? Toyota (like alot of "modern" vehicles) seem to hide alot of the effective radiator behind plastic fairings, grill and bumper. So larger area will mean more area hidden/blocked from good air flow behind some sort of fairing etc. Smaller area could be placed better but then it is taking away from the "choice" area of the actual radiator.

Is this a simple matter of "You pay your money and take your chance?

Am I over thinking this?

Bests,
David
David A. L. is offline   Reply With Quote