Traveling to Alaska - Fiberglass RV
Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2021, 10:13 PM   #1

Name: Frances
Trailer: Casita 17 Freedom Deluxe
Arizona
Traveling to Alaska

I plan to make a 3 month trip to Alaska, I have a Casita, 2011 (very few miles, mostly sat) freedom deluxe. My question, do I need to beef up the shocks and the axel of the Casita and if so whether what.
FabulousFrankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 06:53 AM   #2

Trailer: 17' Casita
You'll find the roads through Canada, as well as Alaska, much like the ones in the continental US. Some great, some not as good, but no special equipment needed unless you plan to take the haul road to Prudhoe Bay. We had a great four month journey there back in 2018 with nary a problem.
Jimmy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 07:30 AM   #3

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
While the road up to AK used to be quite an adventure as far as road conditions, anymore, the roads are as good or better than what you see in the lower 48.

As far as the Haul Road, do yourself a favor and rent a vehicle to flog up that road. Do not try to haul your camper on it.

I've traveled up to AK five times. The 2001 trip was quite different than the 2018 trip! Roads have gotten infinitely better! Be sure to camp at Liard Hot Springs on the way up (reservations a must). Travel the Cassiar Highway one direction to see even more scenery.

Discovery Yukon campground outside Beaver Creek, Yukon is another I recommend. Homer Spit at the end of the pavement is another must stop. One stop I wish I would have added last trip is Haynes, AK. I'll do it next trip!
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 08:46 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Oswego, NY
Registry
We made the trip in 2015, me with a RAV4 pulling an Escape 17B, and friends pulling a Scamp 16 with a Toyota Sienna. While we found some rough spots that were under repair, the roads were fine. Here is a link to my journal of the trip.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 09:39 AM   #5

Name: Wayne & Barbara
Trailer: Parkliner
Iowa
We drove up in 2004, with a 2000 Scamp, and Honda Odyssey, Mainly to drive the ALCAN highway. Some stretches were still gravel with washboard, but most was good roads. Since then all the "old" road has been rebuilt, as others said.
We had joined an Adventure Caravans tour, 50 days, starting and ending at Prince George BC. it was a great way to go, as they made all the campground reservations, included some tours and shows, and group meals.
Our total trip from Iowa, to Seattle, to PG - the tour - and the long way back home - was 11,000 miles and 2 1/2 months. And we are still friends.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 11:23 AM   #6

Name: Stu
Trailer: 2003 21RB Bigfoot
Coos Bay, Oregon
Exclamation

I'm planning on making the trip in early May (weather permitting). As others have said, road is good but expect them to be working on a few short sections here and there. Make sure you have good tires, spares and ability to do minor repairs along the way.

I'm transferring jobs and going to work out of Anchorage for the next 2+ years before retiring. My understanding is that you can't "transit through Canada by land for an optional reason, such as a vacation or leisure." https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...nsit-alaska-us
I'll have my proof of employment letter which should get me in. My understanding is that no leisure activities (such as stopping at Liard Hot Springs) are permitted. You have to drive straight through with no unnecessary contact. They are tracking people and giving out hefty fines

I've made the trip in 2013 and 2018. Yes, Liard is a great stop
South Coast Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 11:38 AM   #7

Name: Claire
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
British Columbia
Registry
Make sure you know the rules for traveling in Canada. You may not be able to see much as you have to take a direct route through.

https://www.canada.ca/en/border-serv...to-alaska.html
Old 04-01-2021, 01:39 PM   #8

Arizona
Jon, I looked at a far amount of you photos, I’m impressed. I have and am scouring the MilePost2020. My cousin owns the Chen’s hot springs, so I’ll be there as well. Your input has been helpful.
Old 04-01-2021, 01:54 PM   #9

Registry
One problem with Milepost and even the guide they give out at the Welcome Center, it won’t tell you if the gas station is open or has fuel.

I learned this the hard way!

Don’t pass an open gas station on the northern end of the Alcan without topping off first. It could be the last station you see for a while!!

Travelled the Alcan on a motorcycle once pulling a small cargo trailer. Then my range was even more limited. Stopped at every open station. I passed one station with my F150. Decided to turn around 25 miles later. Good thing as the next station was out of gas. Ended up putting 27 3/4 gallons of fuel in my 26 gallon tank. Dash showed empty for the last 25 miles. I was sweating it!!
Old 04-01-2021, 02:04 PM   #10

Arizona
Claire, so as of today, there is no tourism allowed in Canada by Americans.
Even if we have had both vaccines more than two week ago and we test negative to the Corona19 virus?
Old 04-01-2021, 04:08 PM   #11

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
Went up to the artic circle on the truck oil road, in the Canadian North West Territories it is graded dirt very nice. Look at your tires, I had new tires, one was going to blow out. Don't say "Oh I think we have enough gas honey. "
We camped on the road going out to the turn around at Denali Nat. Park. At the camp ground you could catch the bus in or out of the park.

Later Kenny
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 04:09 PM   #12

Name: Anne
Trailer: 2014 Parkliner 2016 Honda Pilot
North Carolina
Here's a more recent post from Canada. Travel doesn't look likely:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...xemptions.html
neparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 09:03 PM   #13

Name: Stu
Trailer: 2003 21RB Bigfoot
Coos Bay, Oregon
Lightbulb

One new piece of equipment I got for this trip is a TPMS for the trailer tires. Last trip we pulled a flat for probably 20+ miles It was not salvageable...

You need a negative molecular (non-antigen) Covid test less than 72 hours old. You also need a test to get into AK but they said they will accept the test used to get into Canada.

I keep checking the weather in Tok, AK. -2F tonight with snow and a high tomorrow of 20F

I've have 5 videos of our 2018 trip on my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxU...9S3FYPxSQfOesg
South Coast Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 07:21 PM   #14

Arizona
I won’t go under these restrictions, (quarantine), I am three weeks into my second vaccine, I think Canada will open to fully vaccinated Visitors soon. I’ll play it by ear for now. I’ll likely fly to Fairbanks, and visit my cousin at Chena hot springs, later in the year
Thx to all for the great info ��
Old 04-07-2021, 10:14 AM   #15

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2004 trillium outback 13ft
Alaska
Registry
As Thrifty Bill said above, Definitely make the trip to Haines (spelled like the underwear) if you can. It is a special place surrounded by mountains and on the water. The drive over is spectacular also. I live there and I am a bit biased! I traveled all over alaska back in 1994 and nothing resonated with me like this town. So I moved here!
Ak Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 10:30 AM   #16

Name: Stephen
Trailer: Casita
Tennessee
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabulousFrankie View Post
I plan to make a 3 month trip to Alaska, I have a Casita, 2011 (very few miles, mostly sat) freedom deluxe. My question, do I need to beef up the shocks and the axel of the Casita and if so whether what.
Not only do you need shocks for a Casita, you need a stronger frame to travel anywhere other than paved roads.

https://youtu.be/zkfaMf4JCUg
Stephen_Albers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 04:33 PM   #17

Name: Bill
Trailer: Scamp
Arizona
Alaska

Ditto to what others have said. Casual travel through Canada is not permitted. To date there have been no Covid deaths in either the NW territories nor Yukon and they do not want any. Even if vaccinated they want a negative Covid test within 72 hours of entering. As mentioned above above, sightseeing, even if on a valid entry, is a no-no. We scotched our planned trip this summer for these reasons.
William Deak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 07:07 PM   #18

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ak Ron View Post
As Thrifty Bill said above, Definitely make the trip to Haines (spelled like the underwear) if you can. It is a special place surrounded by mountains and on the water. The drive over is spectacular also. I live there and I am a bit biased! I traveled all over alaska back in 1994 and nothing resonated with me like this town. So I moved here!
Maybe this is why I missed the turnoff last time!
Old 04-07-2021, 07:48 PM   #19

Name: Tom
Trailer: 4500 Trillium
British Columbia
traveling through Canada

First , if your planning on traveling through Canada on your way to ALASKA i HOPE YOUR DOING YOUR HOMEWORK . The boarders are closed to tourist are not able to enter Canada . If you own property in Alaska and can prove it then you can travel through BC OR ALBERTA . You can not camp , it in restaurants ,only take out. You can not go to the Yukon .

So until CANADA REOPENS ITS BOARDERS , and that may not be until fall if then , Please do you homework and look into everything about traveling through Canada to Alaska .

When Canada does reopen please come and enjoy your trip . Or just look into the Alaska marine ferry from BELLINGHAM WA.

Now about your trailer , biggest thing I can say is make sure you repack ( or have some one repack ) your wheel bearings , You may want to replace your shocks after sitting for a long time , axel should be fine . As others have said , BC & ALBERTA roads are just like most US roads .

[QUOTE=FabulousFrankie;809700]I plan to make a 3 month trip to Alaska, I have a Casita, 2011 (very few miles, mostly sat) freedom deluxe. My question, do I need to beef up the shocks and the axel of the Casita and if so whether what.[/QUOTE
caderider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 08:05 PM   #20

Name: Tom
Trailer: 4500 Trillium
British Columbia
big fines yes , Texans where caught in BANFF ALERTA LAST YEAR , and received a $ 1200 fine , and had to leave Canada .

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Coast Stu View Post
I'm planning on making the trip in early May (weather permitting). As others have said, road is good but expect them to be working on a few short sections here and there. Make sure you have good tires, spares and ability to do minor repairs along the way.

I'm transferring jobs and going to work out of Anchorage for the next 2+ years before retiring. My understanding is that you can't "transit through Canada by land for an optional reason, such as a vacation or leisure." https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...nsit-alaska-us
I'll have my proof of employment letter which should get me in. My understanding is that no leisure activities (such as stopping at Liard Hot Springs) are permitted. You have to drive straight through with no unnecessary contact. They are tracking people and giving out hefty fines

I've made the trip in 2013 and 2018. Yes, Liard is a great stop
caderider1 is offline   Reply With Quote