Trillium 13 Axle/Hub Question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2011, 05:02 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Trillium 13 Axle/Hub Question

Just got back from a quick look at a Trillium 13 that's for sale - it's a '75, seems in reasonable shape. I need some advice on the axle setup - remember that I'm really new to the whole trailer thing...

I used the "clenched fist should fit in the wheel well" test - my fist, on edge, fits on the starboard side, but fails by an inch or so on the port side. The port side tire also shows more wear, especially on the outside edge - the owner says both tires were replaced at the same time, about 3 years/5,000 kms ago.

Assuming this indicates a problem, does it mean the entire axle has to be replaced, or can I replace one or both axle ends (hubs?) If the axle has to go, can anyone advise as to what would be a suitable replacement?
Richard Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:01 PM   #2

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Hi!

My understanding is that hubs can't be replaced on the "Rub-R-Ride" axle (Dexter predecessor) that came on the early Trilliums.
Axle fixes are usually replacement jobs on this trailer.
Axles might be the most-discussed topic here- there's a real long thread discussion from earlier this year- very illuminating at least for me...
Along about post #40, some excellent, easy instructions are given about how to evaluate your axles condition.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...xle-42849.html

Hope this helps!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:45 PM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Hi!

My understanding is that hubs can't be replaced on the "Rub-R-Ride" axle (Dexter predecessor) that came on the early Trilliums.
Axle fixes are usually replacement jobs on this trailer.
Axles might be the most-discussed topic here- there's a real long thread discussion from earlier this year- very illuminating at least for me...
Along about post #40, some excellent, easy instructions are given about how to evaluate your axles condition.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...xle-42849.html

Hope this helps!

Francesca
The hubs can be replaced, but the spindles can not. I don't subscribe to the "fist test" but it is a persistent myth. Wear on the outside of the tire is not a typical sign of axle wear, but it could be a sign of other troubles, like excessive tow-in on one side or a defective tire or axle impact damage.
A normally worn out torsion axle will likely show excessive tow-out or negative camber, each displaying wear to the inside edge of the tire.
Also if you can determine the axle's original no load set angle, it is starting to show "wear out" at about 15 degrees up from that.
A Dexter will take a few degrees of set in the first few miles then settle down to a long life of gradual deterioration in angle. Keep in mind that like most of us, these trailers tend to gain weight over time and that affects road height as well. Also when using the fist test , bear in mind that most of these trailers also end up with a larger than stock tire,and many went from biased tires to radials so overall diameter can be changed.
Also the wheel wells are not going to be the same on both sides when new and the weight distribution will not be even.
The "Fist Test" is less reliable than most "Rules of Thumb" but it does offer a simplistic solution to a somewhat complex problem.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium