Trillium 13' - Brakes and Bearings - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2016, 08:11 AM   #1

Name: Chris
Trailer: '77 Trillium 1300
Oklahoma
Trillium 13' - Brakes and Bearings

Hey, all! Wasn't sure if there was a resource here for this type of thing... I'd like to put electric brakes on my '77 Trillium 13' but I'm not sure what size would work. Also, I need to replace the bearings and don't know that size either... are these items I'd need to measure somehow or is there "a standard size" for all these eggs?

Thanks for the assist!
Old 12-28-2016, 09:59 AM   #2

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trillium 4500
Colorado
I suspect the bearing sizes are stamped on the outer ring of the bearing so you could get that when changing them or when greasing them. Of course that would mean waiting for the new set...

I suspect others will know the sizes...
ckayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 10:01 AM   #3

Oklahoma
Yep, thanks for the word. Good idea, though. I could just pull a wheel off, get the size, and put the wheel back on until I get the bearings in. Thanks a bunch!
Old 12-28-2016, 10:06 AM   #4

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Electric brakes can be added. If you have an axle with brake mounting flanges you can add brakes to your current axle. If you do not have flanges on your axle you would have to also replace the axle.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 10:13 AM   #5

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
Electric brakes can be added. If you have an axle with brake mounting flanges you can add brakes to your current axle. If you do not have flanges on your axle you would have to also replace the axle.
Thank you for the input, sir. I'll check that also. Is the size of the brakes the same on all these, or does it vary by model?
Old 12-28-2016, 12:39 PM   #6

Name: Randy J.
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
I plan to put electric brakes on our '76 Trillium and had the RV place look at it last year. Ours and I suspect yours has the right axle mounts for adding brakes. A couple of points to consider:

a. Check your torsion axle by jacking up each side in turn and making sure it is extending and compressing properly before spending money on brakes. Changing the whole axle is also an option. My axle turns out fine but these are old machines.

b. My RV guy in any case first recommended changing the whole axle for a new one with brakes already installed as there isn't a huge difference in price. The axle on our '76 however is welded to the frame which would make it quite a lot more difficult to change. I don't know how your '77 might be mounted.

If you have a reliable RV maintenance place, they should be able to advise you on bearings/brakes/axles, and probably will order them for you, even if you decide to do the work yourself.
Randy J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 12:57 PM   #7

Oklahoma
Randy, wow... you went over and above, buddy. Thanks for the info. I had no idea about the axle replacement option (with brakes already attached). Very cool. I'll check into that and see what makes more sense. I really appreciate you.
Old 12-28-2016, 01:54 PM   #8

Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 Boler - tow/2017 Colorado Crew-Cab
Ontario
Registry
Axle/brake/and bearing renewal ?

We had the same dilemma as you, but with our 1973 Boler. I had the expert, (Paul Nuemeister of Sebringville, for those of us in Ontario and several northern states) examine the 43 year old axle. He then ordered the new axle and associated brakes. I returned a couple of days later for the installation, knowing that a new axle, also includes new bearings. I'm very relieved to know that, with new tires, I now have a totally 'new' running gear for my 'senior-aged' FGRV
Old 12-28-2016, 03:16 PM   #9

Name: Randy J.
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Yeah. I'd say if the axle is bolted to the frame, changing the whole thing would be my first option. If it is welded, as mine is, changing it would require I think removing the body first, then some tricky cutting and welding. Some of the members have done this sort of thing. But, since my suspension seems okay, I'll probably go the "easy" route.
Randy J. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes, trillium