Trillium Axle Replacement - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2007, 08:21 PM   #1

Trailer: 1989 17 ft Bigfoot Deluxe / 2004 Ford Ranger
After putting up with a leaning '73 Trillium 1300, and a very rough bouncy ride which rearranged every thing inside by the time we got to a campsite, I finally bit the bullet, and went ahead with an axle replacement,getting the trailer back just last Monday.
Planning for the inevitable, in late May, I emailed out to Calgary to service@trilliumtrailers.com with several questions regarding the pending trailer surgery; after two weeks went by, with no response, I sent a second email...sort of a "Hi, remember me? theme...never heard back, so went ahead with my plans to get it into the shop on the 14th of May; however, a mixup in shipping the axle from Dexter to their Distributor here in Ontario, caused a 1 week delay. Then, with the axle installed, the shop owner called to say he was concerned about there still being a lean to the streetside, causing less clearance in the wheelwell on that side.Having checked the frame integrity, no reason could be found for the difference in height between the 2 sides. The solution agreed on was to install a 1"riser on that side to even out the lean; it seemed to work, and the trailer was picked up on Mon. May 28th.
The ride coming home was smoother than any trip before; no bounce, despite the high axle rating..the stove grates were actually still on the stove when I got home!!
Adjusting the electric brakes for deployment was accomplished on the drive home, to give just noticeable drag when applying them with the manual lever.

Ready for many more seasons of camping ahead .
Joseph Olajos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 09:51 AM   #2

Trailer: 73 Trillium
I too have a 73' trillium 1300 with a slight difference from one side to the other, the lower being the drivers side. I believe it is from the added weight of the fridge, stove, furnace, tank and counter area. Along with you I know that my torsion suspension is done. Part of my usual tasks before leaving with the trailer was to take off the stove grates. Presently have a new axle on order with a 2000# rating. Plan to get at it when it arrives; along with the frame reinforcement in the usual spot at the A frame as it goes under the egg (noticed hair line crack). The axle that I have ordered is a Flex ride with adjustable starting angles for the arms. If I find that the trailer leans when done I can adjust the starting angle to balance it out. Happy to hear that you found a workable solution to the lean.
Sure am looking forward to everything being in place in the trailer when I get somewhere.
Dave N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 10:24 AM   #3

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
If either of you don't mind sharing, I was curious of what the cost (ball park is fine) would be to replace your axle, parts and labour.

Thanks.
brendadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 10:47 AM   #4

Trailer: 73 Trillium
Quote:
If either of you don't mind sharing, I was curious of what the cost (ball park is fine) would be to replace your axle, parts and labour.

Thanks.
As the axle has not arrived yet, i've only paid a deposite. The price for the axle I was given (before taxes) is $265.00
Plan on doing the work myself, so can't comment on the labour cost.
Dave N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 12:31 PM   #5

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
I agree that a side-to-side load imbalance could be the cause of one side sitting low (although a full inch sounds like a lot), and the adjustability of the Flexi-Ride design provides a suitable way to compensate. Careful placement of cargo can help, too, and more directly addresses the fundamental cause. Maybe something like the battery could be mounted offset to the curbside for a permanent fix?

The B1700 is prone to rolling oscillations (it doesn't sway, it rocks a bit side-to-side) under some crosswind conditions when left-heavy, and moving just one hefty object (the microwave or barbecue, in my case), fixes that. In this case, the refrigerator and closet content, furnace, electrical panel and converter, and blackwater tank are all on the street side - the range and water heater on the curb side don't seem to be enough to balance that.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 12:59 PM   #6

Trailer: 1989 17 ft Bigfoot Deluxe / 2004 Ford Ranger
Quote:

Thanks.
hi Brendadave
The cost of the #10 3000# Dexter axle with 10" electric brakes was invoiced at $395 plus misc parts for wiring up to existing 7-wire harness.
Labour to remove original axle/replace with new Torflex axle, then remove left side welds to add spacer/re-weld and run brake wiring came to around $350
Applicable PST and GST came on top of those figures.
There is no indication of shipping/freight charges being added anywhere...this after the axle came to Milton, Ontario from the US, then was picked up there by the installer, who then brought it to his shop in Lindsay, Ontario...imagine !!!
Joseph Olajos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, trillium