Truck Tires On Trailer? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2010, 09:28 AM   #1

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
Okay, I don't remember which magazine, but the article said that truck tires were a great alternative to trailer tires. Have any of you heard this and what would be the pros and cons?
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:52 AM   #2

Trailer: Bigfoot 21.5 ft (25B21RB)
Trailer tires are designed with stiffer sidewalls to minimize flex, which could translate to sway. Passenger tires have weight ratings that work for car and truck suspension systems but are not accurate for most trailer suspensions. Passenger tires also have tread designed to be used with drive wheels. I have heard that some truck tires with high weight rating may be OK for lightweight single-axle trailers, but should never be used on a double axle trailer. Tire discussions can get very lively, so it will be interesting to hear other experienced opinions on this subject.
David and Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:14 AM   #3

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Many owners, myself included, are using Maxxis UE-168 or Kumho 857 Radial tires. Both are made for small commercial delivery trucks in foreign markets. They are not ST tires but are being sold in the USA as trailer tires. There is much talk on the Casita forums about these due to problems with original equipment Goodyear Marathons. LT tires may work but are not made in sizes smaller than 15". Both the Maxxis and Kumho are sold in 14" sizes. I can not add personal input because I have zero miles on my Kumho 195/R14s.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:26 PM   #4

Trailer: Casita
I am happy with the Maxxis UEs on my Casita. I am guessing we have nearly 20,000 miles in about two years with them and they still look like new. As Tom said, they are sold as commercial vehicle tires in Europe and trailer tires here. They are marked "Light Truck" but they are not marked LT in the size. They are big, beefy tires (8 PR). Each (new) weighed 30 lb in my bathroom vs the Goodyear Marathon (used) that weighed 20 lb.

There is a lot of tire discussion over on the Casita Forum. It seems the Kumhos were the favorites for a long time and then folks started having problems with them. As far as I know, no one has reported trouble with the Maxxis (knocking on the wood-like surface of the table).

Commercial or truck tires may be the best choice for some trailers because no ST tires are available in the required sizes. Some, if not all Airstreams use LTs for this reason.

Marv
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires