TV capacity question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2020, 10:08 AM   #1

Name: James
Trailer: Currently shopping
Wisconsin
TV capacity question

We don't have a FB RV yet - that's 3 years in the future, but we just bought a teardrop. Unloaded trailer weight is 1,280 lbs. Tongue weight is 120 lbs. TV is a 2018 Volvo V60 Cross Country with a curb weight without fluids of 3,920 lbs. Towing capacity is 3,500 lbs. with a 350 lb maximum tongue weight. Assuming we get trailer brakes installed, does anyone think we need a bigger vehicle to cross the mountains?
Jimbo56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 10:03 AM   #2
GOB

Name: Michael
Trailer: Scamp 19
Missouri
TV capacity

I think you would be fine with a 13 foot, maybe even a 16 depending on how it is set up.
GOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 10:20 AM   #3

Name: Cliff
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Connecticut
If your specs are accurate your trailer is less than 1/2 the capabilities of your tow.
What’s your concern?
Cliff Hotchkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 10:25 AM   #4

Name: James
Trailer: Currently shopping
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Hotchkiss View Post
If your specs are accurate your trailer is less than 1/2 the capabilities of your tow.
What’s your concern?
Someone on social media said I would need a bigger TV. I know I shouldn’t believe everything online, but thought I would ask the experts here.
Jimbo56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 10:55 AM   #5

Name: Cliff
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
Someone on social media said I would need a bigger TV. I know I shouldn’t believe everything online, but thought I would ask the experts here.
😂 I’m hardly an expert but I’ve found that if you stay within the vehicles towing specs that vehicle should be an adequate tow. By adequate I mean capable to safely tow at reasonable speeds. Of course if you’re not maxed out it’s easier on the tow and you’ll have an easier time on long grades both up and down. It is important to know your specific vehicles ratings as well as the trailers as these numbers vary widely depending on options and drive trains. Your stated numbers are less than 1/2 of your tows rating so I can’t see how you would have a problem, lots of room for error.
Cliff Hotchkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 11:23 AM   #6

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
For instance...

Your vehicle is rated to tow any Scamp13 or 16 with plenty of spare rating.
In fact it is rated to tow the weight of two well equipped Scamp13s.

Another factor is frontal area of course, The Scamp shape is is far more aero than any of its square stick built counterparts.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 06:22 PM   #7

Name: Tony
Trailer: Scamp
Ohio
Interesting thing; I have a 2014 Subaru Outback with the 6 cylinder engine. It’s rated to tow 3,000 lbs and has a 900 lb cargo capacity. The same car with the 4 cylinder Is rated to tow 2,700 lbs. Not sure of it’s cargo capacity. Anyway, the big engine has all the performance I need. I’ve heard the small engine struggles on hills. I think that It makes it up, just slower than the big engine. Tow ratings are based on more than engine/ transmission torque/horsepower. Suspension and structure are a big deal as are brakes.

By the way, the Subaru owners manual requires trailer brakes if the trailer is over 1,000 lbs. The most limiting Restriction is the tongue weight at 200 lb.

My advice is to know what your manual requires. A small amount of margin is good. I think 20% is fine. Most people want more, say 50%. Then some will think you are unsafe unless there is 100% margin. I do agree the more margin the better, that is if cost is not a concern.
Tony D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 08:36 PM   #8

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
If you check this Volvo link for the 2018 V60 Cross Country,

https://www.volvocars.com/my/Support...d-towball-load

towing capacity and tow ball load are dependent on engine installed. All weights are expressed in kilograms. Looking at the table for towing a braked trailer, the towing capacity is at least 3500 lbs. However the tow ball load is either 75 or 90 kg (165 lbs. or 198 lbs.). So not clear where you got the 350 lb. tongue weight capacity. Is it indicated in your owner's manual?

Also, according to the information at the link below, your vehicle should have a sticker (doesn't say where, maybe in the door frame?) that indicates max. gross vehicle weight, max. train weight (car+trailer), max. front axle load, max. rear axle load and equipment level.

https://www.volvocars.com/my/Support...eights/weights

Your tear drop trailer is well within safe margin for the unloaded trailer weight and unloaded tongue weight. However, as has been mentioned many times on this website, it is strongly recommended that the trailer and tongue be weighed after the trailer is fully loaded. In your case, since trailer weight margin is very large, I wouldn't bother weighing the trailer, however, it would be a good idea to weigh the tongue if the tow ball load rating is actually 165 lbs. or 198 lbs.

Finally, its important to stay within the gross combined vehicle weight (Volvo calls it max. train weight) when fully loaded. If you think you might be close to the GCVW and want to check it, you need to load the Volvo and tow your loaded trailer to a vehicle scale.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 08:49 PM   #9

Michigan
Registry
Quote:
Towing capacity is 3,500 lbs. with a 350 lb maximum tongue weight.
I discovered that the 2018 V60 Cross Country factory tow hitch is rated at 3500 lbs. with a 350 lbs. max tongue weight. However the tow hitch rating is not the same as the vehicle towing capacity. Important distinction.
Old 08-16-2020, 09:53 PM   #10

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Michigan View Post
I discovered that the 2018 V60 Cross Country factory tow hitch is rated at 3500 lbs. with a 350 lbs. max tongue weight. However the tow hitch rating is not the same as the vehicle towing capacity. Important distinction.
According to Volvo the vehicle above is tow rated as stated above.
I'm sure the Volvo below would still for some folks be inadequate to the task of towing a Scamp13!

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 06:33 AM   #11

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Your own PERSONAL experience far outweighs what you are going to get on social media. There are people doing crazy stuff towing wise, either with massive tow vehicles or the other extreme, towing with a vehicle that has NO tow rating (like the Honda Fit I saw pulling a Boler).

My first RV, I knew I didn't have enough truck when I reached the top of the vantage grade on I-90 going 29MPH. Earth to Bill: you need a bigger tow vehicle! At that point, regardless of what any of the "experts" thought, I needed more.

Trailer brakes are always a good idea.

You've done the right thing, learning the limits your manufacturer puts on your vehicle. Good for you! I would predict you are going to be just fine pulling that teardrop.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 07:28 AM   #12

Michigan
Registry
NOWHERE on the Volvo website or anywhere else does it state that 2018 Volvo V60 Cross Country tow rating is 3500 lb, hitch capacity 350 lb. The Volvo website states that the tow rating for this vehicle is engine dependent (see towing capacity tables), and furthermore that there is a sticker on the vehicle that indicates weight capacities.

Volvo DOES sell a factory accessory detachable towbar with 2" ball that is rated at Max. ball pressure: 350 lbs and Max. towing capacity: Up to 3500 lbs, but Volvo also includes the disclaimers:
"Towbars can be certified for higher towing weights than the car can actually tow."
"Contact your local Volvo dealer for precise details about the maximum towing weight for your car."

EDIT: And GOOD LUCK getting a correct answer from a dealer regarding towing capacity. Seriously, check the owner's manual and the sticker on the vehicle.