TV Wiring question for new Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2021, 03:19 PM   #1

Name: Allegra
Trailer: in the market
California
TV Wiring question for new Scamp

Hi folks, I'm picking up a new 13' Scamp in August and I'm getting my 2002 Highlander prepped. I'm pretty much in the dark with this wiring stuff, which is why I'm here

I had a hitch and 7 way connector installed at U-Haul. They were pretty unprofessional and really unhelpful. Scamp provided me with a wiring diagram which shows the wire colors and what they should be connected to. I forgot to show this to the folks at U-Haul (and wasn't asked any questions).

So, is my trailer wired correctly? I can go back to U-Haul and show them the diagram and see what they say, but I don't trust them. I'm on a tight schedule when I pick up the Scamp and I'm worried about getting there and not having the correct wiring.

I did contact Nick at Scamp with this question but all he just said all they could do is hook it up when I get there and see if everything works.

Please help!
Thanks!
Allegra
allegracount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 03:58 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by allegracount View Post
I did contact Nick at Scamp with this question but all he just said all they could do is hook it up when I get there and see if everything works.

Please help!
Thanks!
Allegra
Since nobody knows what U-Haul did, that sounds reasonable, if Scamp follows wiring standards, it should work.

You can get a 7-pin tester for about $10. LEDs light up. If one doesn't, you'll know where to look for the problem. I am not recommending this specific one. It's just an example.
https://www.kysonteop.com/index.php?...ucts_id=543427
Old 07-22-2021, 05:27 PM   #3

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
...So, is my trailer wired correctly? ....
How the heck can someone on the internet tell you if it's wired correctly?
A tester such as Glen suggested is a good option. Another is to go to another local shop and ask them to check it.. expect to pay a little. AND you need to tell them which of the 7 pins do you need wired (not every rig needs them all).

Chances are GOOD that U-Haul got the lights wiring right. Chances are also GOOD that they they got the brakes wiring right IF THEY INSTALLLED A BRAKE CONTROLLER. Otherwise the chances are FAIR TO MIDDLING.. Chances are QUESTIONABLE that they even wired up the charge line (since its optional). Chances are POOR that they wired up the trailer's back-up lights since they are not often used and really not needed (IMHO).

As for the brake controller.. maybe your Scamp will not have brakes. But if it does, I am pretty sure that the Highlander is not prewired for a controller so if they don't install a brake controller, they might not wire the 7-pin for trailer brake power.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 05:32 PM   #4

Name: You can't call me Al
Trailer: SOLD: 1977 Scamp 13'
Massachusetts
Quote:
I had a hitch and 7 way connector installed at U-Haul.
Scamp must use the industry-standard 7-pin wiring sequence or the trailer would not work with a factory-wired vehicle.

So, drive back to U-Haul, ask them to plug your car into one of their trailers and see if the turn signal lights, brake lights and running lights work.

If not, then U-Haul can correct their wiring errors until all the lights work with one of their trailers.

If those work, then your Scamp's lights will also work.

Brakes are another thing altogether.
AlanKilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 06:24 PM   #5

Name: Allegra
Trailer: in the market
California
Thanks for the responses.

Regarding the brakes, I'm getting the wireless brake control system from Scamp so if I understand things correctly all that's needed from the wiring is the power, the brakes will be controlled via the unit Scamp installs in the trailer and the wireless unit for the TV.

I didn't expect Scamp to be able to tell me from a distance if the wiring was done correctly my question was whether U-Haul *could* get it right without the diagram from Scamp - i.e. is this wiring standardized or specific to the trailer I'm getting. It was confusing to me why Scamp would provide the information if it was not needed, and why U-Haul wouldn't ask.

In any case, these answers were helpful. I will go back to U-Haul and confirm that they connected everything that needs to be connected.
allegracount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 07:14 PM   #6

North Carolina
U-haul could indeed get it right. I have seen many people who were happy with the tow vehicle wiring for a trailer done at U-Haul.. But I have also seen a fair number of people who are not happy with U-Haul. The reason that U-Haul could get it right is that tow vehicle and trailer wiring does indeed have standards. But its not quite that simple. First, like many franchise shops, there is much variability in their skill and professionalism. But perhaps more important is matching the customer’s expectations with the shops understanding of what is needed.

See below diagram.

You ALWAYS need #1 – ground.

I assume you are getting the AuTowBrake controller, installed at Scamp. There are a few ways to wire it but IMHO you need the Trailer’s Brake power at the 7 pin connector, which is #2 in this diagram and usually blue wire. For any other brake controller that I am aware of you will need it also (with auto-resetting circuit breaker)

For the DOT required lights you also need 3, 5 and 6. Note that the more basic 4-pin trailer wiring includes only 1, 3, 5 and 6 for basic trailer lights.

Number 4 is the charge line.. it supplies charging current to the trailer battery when you are towing. It is very nice to have but it is not required and some shops wont add it unless you specifically ask for it.

Last is #7… the trailer’s back up lights. I would guess that most installations don't include it. Not all trailers even have back up lights, and when they do.. they are not always very helpful.

Old 07-23-2021, 09:25 AM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Hi folks, I'm picking up a new 13' Scamp in August and I'm getting my 2002 Highlander prepped. I'm pretty much in the dark with this wiring stuff, which is why I'm here

I had a hitch and 7 way connector installed at U-Haul. They were pretty unprofessional and really unhelpful. Scamp provided me with a wiring diagram which shows the wire colors and what they should be connected to. I forgot to show this to the folks at U-Haul (and wasn't asked any questions).

So, is my trailer wired correctly? I can go back to U-Haul and show them the diagram and see what they say, but I don't trust them. I'm on a tight schedule when I pick up the Scamp and I'm worried about getting there and not having the correct wiring.

Please help!
Thanks!
Allegra
There is an industry standard for which color wires go to which functions
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 03:29 PM   #8

Name: Lynn
Trailer: '06 Scamp 16
Rochester, New York
I believe Scamp powers the Autowbrake from the trailer battery. You should be good to go with an adequate 12volt supply - pin 4 - between Highlander and trailer. If you connect constant power to pin 2, you will be unable to connect to a trailer with conventionally controlled brakes. They would be locked on.

NB: I fixed the brake controller spelling.
Lynn Eberhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 03:54 PM   #9

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Eberhardt View Post
I believe Scamp powers the Autobrake from the trailer battery. You should be good to go with an adequate 12volt supply - pin 4 - between Highlander and trailer. If you connect constant power to pin 2, you will be unable to connect to a trailer with conventionally controlled brakes. They would be locked on.
I second this information. (I have a Tekonsha Prodigy RF controller I installed myself)

Both the Autowbrake and the Tekonsha trailer-mounted brake controllers use pin #4 (Aux +12 Volt/Charging) as power to the controller and to the brake magnets and use pin #2 (Trailer brakes) as the signal of when to apply the brakes.
Old 07-23-2021, 04:32 PM   #10

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Eberhardt View Post
I believe Scamp powers the Autobrake from the trailer battery. You should be good to go with an adequate 12volt supply - pin 4 - between Highlander and trailer. ....
Let me suggest a rephrase.. the Autowbrake controller (not Autobrake) should be supplied with power from the tow vehicle, which can be via the pin 4 charge line (which also charges the trailer battery). However the trailer battery should not be the sole source of power for the trailer brakes.

Further, instead of the usual fuse, a resetting 12 volt circuit breaker on the power line is the recommended circuit protection when its used for brake power.

And while they say you can use the running lights to supply brake magnet power.. I would never do that and I suggest no one else do it either.
Old 07-23-2021, 04:41 PM   #11

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanKilian View Post
...and use pin #2 (Trailer brakes) as the signal of when to apply the brakes.
Normally pin 2 only has power when a brake controller in the tow vehicle activates the trailer's brakes. It is not a source for brake power going through the Autowbrake controller to the trailer's brake magnets because normally will not provide power at all unless there is a brake controller installed in the tow vehicle. A brake controller in the tow vehicle usually gets the BRAKE ON signal from the brake pedal switch while the Autowbrake gets the BRAKES ON signal from the lights. Either then apply power to the trailer's brakes, with the voltage according to the degree of deacceleration (for proportional controllers which most of us use).
Old 07-24-2021, 09:48 AM   #12

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Autowbrake gets the BRAKES ON signal from the lights.
RIGHT!

I knew that when I wired up my Volvo trailer connection, but I'm an idiot and forgot immediately afterwards.

Also, the Tekonsha Prodigy RF detects when you have the emergency flashers on and does NOT cause the brakes to go on/off/on/off/on/off. I don't know what Autowbrake does.
Old 07-28-2021, 11:02 AM   #13

Trailer: 2010 13 ft Scamp
Boy did you touch a raw nerve.
I had U-Haul install a brake controller, 7-pin connector, and associated wiring in my tow vehicle for a brand new 2010 Scamp.
This was one of the most miserable and unpleasant experiences I've ever had in my life. I wound up taking pictures and documenting everything wrong with this "installation", and sent this to U-Haul corporate.
Here's a summary:
The brake controller was installed vertically on the side of the front dash. (It can't possibly work in this position. It has to be horizontal for the pendulum to work).
The wiring was incorrect, plus the gage of wiring was redicullusly too light. Some of the wiring was incomplete.
To make a very long story short, U-haul completely refunded all my money, and got a qualified technician to redo the entire project for no charge.
I fault U-Haul for having unqualified technicians perform work way beyond their ability. I praise U-haul for taking action and responsibility. I'm just glad I didn't kill myself and my family by depending upon trailer brakes that didn't exist.
Whew !
I really didn't want to relive this experience.
Larry Singer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 12:58 PM   #14

Name: Tina
Trailer: Casita
Maryland
I wrote you on another thread because we have similar setups, but you're where I want to be. I am lacking a brake controller in my XC-40 so I can't take my 16' Casita on a trip. When I ordered the Teckonsha Prodigy you have, I sent it back because I didn't see a spot big enough on my trailer tongue to put it. I ordered the Curt Echo instead. When I tried using it, it blew a hard-to-find 40 fuse in my car. Volvo said don't use it again because it will do the same. Do you have any advise?
TLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 08:26 PM   #15

Trailer: 2010 13 ft Scamp
Scamp TV wiring

To TLEX

There were many replies to this post.
You wrote:
"I wrote YOU on another thread because we have similar setups,...."

Who was the "you" you're referring to ?
I don't think it was me.
Larry Singer
Larry Singer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 06:32 AM   #16

Name: Tina
Trailer: Casita
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Singer View Post
To TLEX

There were many replies to this post.
You wrote:
"I wrote YOU on another thread because we have similar setups,...."

Who was the "you" you're referring to ?
I don't think it was me.
Larry Singer
Sorry about that. It was meant for AlanKilian. I was learning to use the forum. My question is being addressed in the 2021 Volvo XC40 towing package is AWESOME! thread.

Thanks for taking the time to write. I'm learning. I now understand "quick reply" and am trying out the "quote message in reply" option in this to see how it works.
TLEX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp