Two new pickups coming and more - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2017, 04:31 PM   #1
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Two new pickups coming and more

Ford is bringing back the Bronco and bringing the Ranger to North America.

Ford's Bronco SUV and Ranger pickup truck are coming back - LA Times

Jeep plans on introducing a pickup as well.

Jeep gets a pickup truck and here's how it could look
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 05:14 PM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
As a Ford guy, I've been watching all the news of bringing back the Ranger also. From the pics I've seen and just MHO, I really hope they redesign it so it stands out in the crowd. The front end looks like a Toyo to me. But then most of the cars out there now look like cookie cutter potatoes with wheels .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 05:26 PM   #3

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Floyd will be so thrilled!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 09:04 PM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Floyd will be so thrilled!
they've sent a thrill up my leg too many times now for me to believe it.When it hits the lot I'll check it out if I haven't bought something already.
Ultimately you end up, not with what you want but with whats available!
If it is as big as the Canyonero I'll probably pass.

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 09:07 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
Registry
I agree...make it unique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
As a Ford guy, I've been watching all the news of bringing back the Ranger also. From the pics I've seen and just MHO, I really hope they redesign it so it stands out in the crowd. The front end looks like a Toyo to me. But then most of the cars out there now look like cookie cutter potatoes with wheels .
I agree they outta make a stand out...when Dodge came out with the original 1990's Ram the styling was totally different...the Plymouth Prowler was very unique.

I have had Fords from Rancheros, to Rangers, Explorers, and F-150's. Bring some style and entice me into buying something new.

AND ---Floyd should be happy

(2) Big Green Eggs for cooking..(1) Egg for camping
BillE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 07:30 AM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Somehow I doubt the new Ranger will be significantly different, size-wise, from its main competition, the Colorado/Canyon. The days of true "compact" pick-up trucks are gone. We now have L, XL, and XXL.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1155.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	305.4 KB
ID:	102162
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 08:48 AM   #7

Name: Tom
Trailer: 21' Escape
Tennessee
A Ranger with the 2.7 EB could be very interesting.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:00 AM   #8

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
Xit's a shame that both Ford and GM have abandoned their small to medium frame rear wheel drive cars with true ladder frames. They made possible such multi-purpose pickups as the Ranchero and the El Camino. Those little vehicles would be ideal for TVs for 13-16' FGRVs, at least IMHO.

I would dearly love a classy old El Camino to pull my '83 Burro, but the prices of nice ones has gotten too dear since car enthusiasts have always been fond of them too.

Froggie
Green Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 11:37 AM   #9

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
I always liked the Ranger. I sold my first one with over 300,000 on the odometer. I'm still driving my '96 and closing in on 400,000. I bought a new one in 2011 when I heard they were going out of production as my "retirement" vehicle. I've had it parked but will start driving it this spring. A diesel option would be nice.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 10:41 PM   #10

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
I had a GM Canyon park next to me at Camping World last week. It made my
'67 C10 look like a mini truck. The bed sides were about a foot taller. His payload is probably way higher too.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 04:05 AM   #11

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Big Problem is they made it way to big and to high off the ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
Ford is bringing back the Bronco and bringing the Ranger to North America.

Ford's Bronco SUV and Ranger pickup truck are coming back - LA Times

Jeep plans on introducing a pickup as well.

Jeep gets a pickup truck and here's how it could look
: these oversized trucks no longer fit into parking stalls! plus just getting in and out of them is almost impossible. So why bother, is there not enough big pieces of crap out there for you all now? Roads in the back country are not built for them either nor are the highways we have now.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:08 AM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by stude View Post
: these oversized trucks no longer fit into parking stalls! plus just getting in and out of them is almost impossible. So why bother, is there not enough big pieces of crap out there for you all now? Roads in the back country are not built for them either nor are the highways we have now.
Stude
They don't fit in stalls because the areas marked for parking have gotten smaller over the years. I don't consider my truck to be a piece of crap either. Fortunately my health and ability still allows me easy entry and exit out of my 4x4 pickup. We each buy what we want and our budget allows. That goes for build-type, size and weight of a travel trailer. Lighten up Stude, it's all good.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:55 AM   #13

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
It's great to have choices. Just fit the tool to the job. For a daily driver truck we've got the Ridgeline, and when towing large horse trailers, toy haulers, or travel trailers we can buy the heavy duty stuff. They sure do cost a lot of money nowadays! I think they could sell mini-trucks if they made them again.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:20 AM   #14

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
They don't fit in stalls because the areas marked for parking have gotten smaller over the years. I don't consider my truck to be a piece of crap either. Fortunately my health and ability still allows me easy entry and exit out of my 4x4 pickup. We each buy what we want and our budget allows. That goes for build-type, size and weight of a travel trailer. Lighten up Stude, it's all good.
Donna hit the nail on the head. Many municipalities now require stores , restaurants ,shopping centers , etc to provide off street parking based on occupancy capacity. IE ; If a restaurant has a seating capacity for X amount of people then they must provide off street parking for X number of cars. Since land , paving and taxes cost money and as a parking lot does not generate revenue they make them as small as possible . In some areas there are limits on how much area can be paved due to rain runoff The easy solution is to shrink the size of the parking spots in order to comply with the ordinance.
I have arthritis in both knees and one hip. I find my truck far easier to enter and exit than most cars / SUV's
Also being 6'2 and over 200 lbs , I find most cars to be cramped and highly uncomfortable. It's a free market and if you don't like trucks , then by all means don't buy / drive one . If you feel uncomfortable sharing the road with larger vehicles then use mass transit. Insulating others that drive a vehicle which doesn't fit your agenda does little except to get your views ignored.
We have a small car for running around and a truck for towing / travel. It works for us
We looked at a Ranger in 2011 but we found it too small , cramped and insufficient for our wants and needs.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:59 AM   #15

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
It just seems like there is an awfully large gap between the little pickups and the big ones. Like Goldilocks, I want something "just right!" In 1993 I bought a four door S-10 Blazer with the Vortec V-6 and the tow package. It was the perfect size for towing my Burro as would the S-10 pickup of that vintage have been. Unfortunately, neither GM nor Ford seems to recognize that exact niche as being needful to fill. It seems that they think we "need" bigger trucks with more (and of course more expensive) options. ��

Froggie
Green Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:46 AM   #16
Raz

Years ago I had a 1985 F150 standard cab 4x4 . Size L=208", W=69", H=74".

My 2012 Frontier crew cab 4x4 is L=205' W=73", H=70".

A 2016 F150 XL 4x4 standard cab L=209,W=80" (97" with mirrors ! ), H=77".

I'm not sure if the '85 width included the mirrors but the Frontier does. Longer, no to much. But certainly wider. At over 8'on the current F150, I wonder how many mirrors collisions occur?

Edit- I also had a 1991 Ranger STX SB 4x4 L=194, W=67, and H=64
Old 01-11-2017, 12:04 PM   #17

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
The auto industry is a monkey see monkey do industry, subject to extreme conformity. There have been few times in my life when any one of them has actually hit the target for what I wanted. So I see it as very rare for a buyer to actually be able to buy what he wants. Of course it is most common for consumer's to want what they are told to want, which in some perverted way I suppose, is to "buy what you want".
Even when I get what I want, it is a compromise that requires modification.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 04:18 PM   #18

Name: Robert
Trailer: Surf-Side
Manitoba
Ford Rangers are great I am on my second one a 2010 , great for towing my Surf-Side . But they are really a Mazda , Ford only stuck on the emblems. My first one was a 1991 and left me with 237,000 km and strong as ever- it was written off due to hail damage with the next owner . Do not what I will do when this one gets too old. Maybe keep it as a vintage.
Bob in Mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 04:24 PM   #19

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob in Mb View Post
Ford Rangers are great I am on my second one a 2010 , great for towing my Surf-Side . But they are really a Mazda , Ford only stuck on the emblems...
I'm pretty sure it's the other way round. Mazda stuck their logo on a Ford design. Mazda sold Rangers rebadged as B2300 and B3000 pickups. Ditto the Mazda Navajo (rebadged 2-door Explorer) and Tribute (rebadged Escape). The earlier Ford Courier was a Mazda rebadged as a Ford to compete with Datsun and Toyota mini-pickups. That ended because of the chicken tax.

http://forums.mazdaworld.org/102-626...onnection.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda#..._Motor_Company
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 04:31 PM   #20
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I'm pretty sure it's the other way round. Mazda stuck their logo on a Ford design. Mazda sold Rangers rebadged as B2300 and B3000 pickups. Ditto the Mazda Navajo (rebadged 2-door Explorer) and Tribute (rebadged Escape). The earlier Ford Courier was a Mazda rebadged as a Ford to compete with Datsun and Toyota mini-pickups.
Correct. Mine was made at the Ford plant in Edison, N.J.