Upsizing tow vehicle..what if?? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2019, 10:36 PM   #1

Name: Fredrick
Trailer: Escape 21C
Tennessee
Question Upsizing tow vehicle..what if??

Picking up our new Escape 21 this Spring.
Had many fine, easy miles towing our Casita 17 with our Frontier dbl cab, long bed, V6 truck and I really like having the midsize truck.
But..if we find the Frontier is not gonna hack it w the bigger trailer and we should know by the time we drive/tow/camp ouir way from Chilliwack to central 10aC in mid-may... we will upgrade.

Are there any full size trucks around that have V8s and a real [functioning] back-up assist mode and decent tow mode? ? I really hate to give up that long bed truck for load capacity, and ease of driving it around town, but the wife really wants a back-up assist mode.
Fred762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 12:00 AM   #2

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Backup assist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred762 View Post
Are there any full size trucks around that have V8s and a real [functioning] back-up assist mode and decent tow mode? ? I really hate to give up that long bed truck for load capacity, and ease of driving it around town, but the wife really wants a back-up assist mode.
My f150 has backup assist but I have never used it. It requires a couple of stickers on the hitch for the sensor to “see”. Also, I think you can pull that RV with a V6 eco boost and get OK MPG. I pull a 3000 lb. Scamp with a V6 ECO Boost and just ran the “Dragons Tail” with power in reserve. And if you call 8’ long bed, those days are gone. I went to 5.5’ from an 8’ and really miss the space.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 03:22 AM   #3

Name: Tom
Trailer: BigFoot 25B25RT
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post
My f150 has backup assist but I have never used it. It requires a couple of stickers on the hitch for the sensor to “see”. Also, I think you can pull that RV with a V6 eco boost and get OK MPG. I pull a 3000 lb. Scamp with a V6 ECO Boost and just ran the “Dragons Tail” with power in reserve. And if you call 8’ long bed, those days are gone. I went to 5.5’ from an 8’ and really miss the space.
Those days are not gone! I just got a 2019 F-150 Regular cab with an 8 foot bed. The dealership had in stock an extended cab 8 foot bed with a V8. I would have gone with that truck except I didn't like the extra long wheelbase and I don't need an extended cab.

I visited a friend in Ohio and extended cab long beds were all over the place.
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 06:50 AM   #4

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
long bed tv

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasC View Post
Those days are not gone! I just got a 2019 F-150 Regular cab with an 8 foot bed. The dealership had in stock an extended cab 8 foot bed with a V8. I would have gone with that truck except I didn't like the extra long wheelbase and I don't need an extended cab.

I visited a friend in Ohio and extended cab long beds were all over the place.
I understood the OP to want a crew cab. My F350 was crew and 8’ When I downsized to the F150 I could only get 5.5’ or 6.5’. Because the 5.5’ unit was on special. The 6.5’ would have cost me $10,000 more. Pulling the Scamp, I am now 36’ long overall and the old Jayco and F350 was 54’.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 07:42 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Crew cabs with 8’ beds are the bane of parking lots everywhere. It bothers me when there are plenty of double spaces further from the entrance, but they insist on parking close and blocking traffic. Of course they invariably have a stinger on the back, too! I’ve been sorely tempted to carry a roll of painter’s tape and mark the end of the parking space on their vehicle.

Rant over...
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 08:10 AM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
How does a crew cab pickup with an 8 ft bed get classified as MIDSIZED?
We’ve owned both a 2013 17ft Casita SD and a 21ft FG trailer . Towed both with a 1/2 ton V8 pickup and we made it from Point A to Point B without any issues
Our 2019 Ram 1500 doesn’t have backup assist , one more piece of electronics that I have no desire to own !

I’m with Jon , If you drive a full size truck then have the common courtesy to park toward the back of the parking lot instead of parking next to the front door and blocking traffic
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 10:46 AM   #7

Name: Fredrick
Trailer: Escape 21C
Tennessee
midsized

Our 2017 Frontier dbl cab truck has the long bed option..6'1" as opposed to the std 4 foot bed. We really like & use the extra bed space for camping. They still call it a mid-size truck..it is only a pinch longer than a Suburban...plus the 12" 'knee knocker' trailer hitch.

I fondly recall the haaaaauling capacity of my first truck..1983 GMC 1 ton, 4x4 dbl cab w 8' bed truck w 454 V8 and dual 20 gal tanks. The thing was a special order 'work truck" which seated 6 bks it had a full front bench seat. The only drawback to the thing was terrible gas mileage(11 on the road) bks it only had a 3 spd AT w no OD!! Back then the 4x4s were "get out and lock the hubs", but it would haul any boat I had for years.
Fred762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 09:45 AM   #8

Name: Cliff
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Connecticut
My 2.7 Ecoboost F150 has no trouble towing my 5.0TA. In fact I couldn’t be happier with it. Towing 15.5 mpg best, 13 worst. Not towing I’ve gotten as good as 22 highway. The F150 is available with it, but I don’t have the backup assist , it wouldn’t work with a 5th wheel anyway. I have 6.5’ bed and extended cab which I think it is an excellent compromise between maneuverability and practical carrying capacity. Just make sure you check your payload capacity although I think if you get a truck with the backup assist it’ll probably have a decent tow and payload package.
Cliff Hotchkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 09:55 AM   #9

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred762 View Post

Think 5.0L V8 F150, that would be my choice. Lots of back up assist, etc. Be careful with tow packages, Ford has several from damn near a joke to really great. Even then, tow mirrors are not included.....

The 53C option package (their top one), adds an upgraded rear axle and bumper, trailer brake controller, pro trailer backup assist, and a larger fuel tank to the second tier tow package. So I would be sure to get the top version!

Ford has gone all in on trucks, they only have one car model left in production. So they have to stay competitive or their business will be in deep trouble.

Just don't settle for what the dealer happens to have on their lot. Start here (a 2020 guide would be even better):

https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/content...F150_Oct25.pdf
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 11:14 AM   #10

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Think 5.0L V8 F150, that would be my choice. Lots of back up assist, etc. Be careful with tow packages, Ford has several from damn near a joke to really great. Even then, tow mirrors are not included.....

The 53C option package (their top one), includes a upgraded rear axle and bumper, trailer brake controller, pro trailer backup assist, and a larger fuel tank.

Ford has gone all in on trucks, they only have one car model left in production. So they have to stay competitive or their business will be in deep trouble.

Just don't settle for what the dealer happens to have on their lot. Start here (a 2020 guide would be even better):

https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/content...F150_Oct25.pdf
I found a lot depends on the size of the dealership and who they cater to
I found several dealers that order for dealers stock, trucks set up for towing
The dealer I dealt with had numerous trucks with a factory class 4 hitch , integrated brake controller , transmission /oil cooler , trailering anti slip rearend
4/7 pin wiring connection , tow haul mode ,V8 engine , sufficient payload / towing capacity etc etc.
You may get some other options you don’t need or the exact color you desire but I’ve bought 3 new trucks in the past 10 years and never had to order one ito get one that was tow ready from day one .
Buying a 2019 model in 2020 can lead to substantial cost savings
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 12:24 PM   #11

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
I just bought a new 2019 Ram 1500 with a 5.7 hemi....3.92 rear....4x4...crew cab....with a tow package that has all the stuff mentioned above....my truck is rated to tow 11,700lbs which is overkill for our Casita. I also tow around a car trailer with some good weight on it. Bottomline….this new truck is the smoothest riding vehicle I have ever owned and...remarkably....gets 21mpg highway when not towing. 395 hp with 400+ lbs of torque @ 21mpg....who'd have thunk it. The 8 speed tranny and MDS is excellent. Towing my car trailer with a 4000lb tractor on it....I got 14.7mpg on a two lane road through some small hills. I have not towed the Casita yet. I use to tow with a 2003 Chevy 2500 HD.....it was a good truck but a serious gas hog.
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 01:11 PM   #12

Name: John
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II
Hawaii
You would love the Ford F-150 with either the 5.0 or the 3.5 EcoBoost!

I tow out west and in the mountains a lot. SO having the twin turbos, FX4, max tow package with the factory locker and center differential is perfect for towing my 5800 pound Oliver tandem axle out west.

I call my Ford "The Beast". It is rated for well over 11,000 pounds towing. With less than 6,000 pounds attached, The Beast hardly knows it is a tow vehicle.

Two thoughts: The Ford 5.0 coyote engine is just about bullet proof. If towing only in flat lands, it would work well. But the 3.5 Ecoboost engine with its twin turbo's is much better for mountains and gets better fuel economy as well when not towing.

Hope this helps.
Geronimo John is offline   Reply With Quote