Using a rockerball to add 1" of height to my ball mount? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2021, 03:00 PM   #1

Name: zack
Trailer: scamp 13
California
Using a rockerball to add 1" of height to my ball mount?

I have been towing a newish Scamp 13 with a 2012 4Runner using a 2" drop ball mount (in a 2" receiver). I do some camping where I have to move around from spot to spot, so getting the trailer level enough while connected is an issue for me and it seems like the 2" drop is putting the front of the trailer a bit too low. (Also, I have to be careful going small bridges where the jack comes close to hitting the ground.) So I was going to get a straight (zero drop) ball mount and try that even though it might be slightly too high. But then I ran across the Curt 40047 Rockball cushion ball mount. If I understand correctly, that would add a vertical inch to my current ball mount, which might be enough. And I guess there could be the added benefit of smoother towing?

Does that seem like a good idea, to use a rocker ball to add one inch making effectively a 1" drop? Do I understand correctly that that will add an inch of height? I am kind of new to this; advice is welcome. Thanks all!
zack sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 03:29 PM   #2

Name: Hugh
Trailer: Scamp
North Dakota
Registry
you have lots of options

Quote:
Originally Posted by zack sc View Post
I have been towing a newish Scamp 13 with a 2012 4Runner using a 2" drop ball mount (in a 2" receiver). I do some camping where I have to move around from spot to spot, so getting the trailer level enough while connected is an issue for me and it seems like the 2" drop is putting the front of the trailer a bit too low. (Also, I have to be careful going small bridges where the jack comes close to hitting the ground.) So I was going to get a straight (zero drop) ball mount and try that even though it might be slightly too high. But then I ran across the Curt 40047 Rockball cushion ball mount. If I understand correctly, that would add a vertical inch to my current ball mount, which might be enough. And I guess there could be the added benefit of smoother towing?

Does that seem like a good idea, to use a rocker ball to add one inch making effectively a 1" drop? Do I understand correctly that that will add an inch of height? I am kind of new to this; advice is welcome. Thanks all!
The rocker ball will raise you about one inch, and will give you lots of cushion from jerking. A different ball mount is an option. An adjustable ball mount is another option. The are 2 inch balls that are different height also.
Attached Thumbnails
shoppingWYSHE71T.jpg   71sUe0y4I7L__AC_SX679_.jpg  

hghsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 05:48 PM   #3

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Many ways to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zack sc View Post
One or 2 inch ball lift? Part numbers on picture.
Attached Thumbnails
BALL.jpg  
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 06:53 PM   #4

Name: zack
Trailer: scamp 13
California
Thanks a lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post
One or 2 inch ball lift? Part numbers on picture.
Thanks. These comments are really helpful. I did not know about these options.

PS. I spoke to a guy at e-trailer today, and he did not seem aware of these options either (surprisingly).
zack sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 06:29 PM   #5

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
I like the adjustable height configuration. Much more versatile and I have several trailers.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 07:19 PM   #6

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Check the ratings of the ball that gives a height boost as they usually have lower towing limits.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote