Wanna tow Scamp 16' with Subaru Forester - Page 7 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2012, 03:57 PM   #121

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Run away truck exits are for those that have lost their brakes.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:02 PM   #122

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Dave,

Our 2400 pounds includes the tongue weight. The tongue weight is not in addition to the tongue weight. The Honda's hp to lb weight is nearly identical to what many larger vehicles tow. We have absolutely no trouble towing our Scamp.

Everyone has a 'war story' about the legal system. If there is no logic involved as so many claim, then it doesn't matter what one does. No logic is no logic regardless. Of course one can always be sued.

It may be probaly why we do not race around the country, we drive at 60 or below. If a crazy or working person is on our tail, we just pull over and let them pass.

Be smart and you'll be safe.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:39 PM   #123

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
If you are confident that you can keep the tongue weight to 200 or less, I say go for it.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:00 AM   #124

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I was looking for a link that would talk about some of the abbreviations and terms involved with towing and found this: Determining Vehicle Towing Capacity & Trailer Weight | Hitch Info I have noticed that the amount allowed to be towed listed in the owner's manual allows for quite a bite of cargo/people in our van which I came to realize why some sources were saying that it had a towing capacity of 7,000 lbs when the owner's manual was listing about 5500 lbs. We towed about 4500 lbs loaded with ease. We did the computations a long time ago so I don't remember all the particulars. You just have to be really careful to watch all the numbers. The trailer has a GVWR that you should not exceed despite what your tow vehicle can pull. From the experiences that we have seen, if you towing more than you should, you'll be replacing expensive parts on your tow vehicle to the point that buying something appropriate to tow your trailer with which will seem like a real savings in the end. The happiest people I saw rving were those felt safe when towing. I was not aware of the high hitch weights of the fiberglass trailers until just this last month and I have found it troubling only in the respect of what it means as far as a tow vehicle.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:55 PM   #125

Trailer: 1985 Scamp 16 ft / ft 04 Subaru Forester XS (extra slow)
Hitch dilemmas

Now you tell me, Carol H, that I'm doing it all wrong. I've been towing a Scamp 16 all over Colorado for years with a 2004 Forester XS. And today I had a Euro hitch installed on its replacement tow car, an Audi allroad.

With the Forester, I've never felt in danger. I'd estimate we've done 5,000 miles, including Berthoud Pass, Wolf Creek Pass and the Eisenhower tunnel. On the eastbound side of Rabbit Ears Pass, we dropped to second gear and 35 mph, but the others were climbed in 3rd at a respectable 40-50 mph. The emergency truck ramps never beckoned us. Engine braking and air resistance was usually enough to leave little brake use required. Sway was never experienced, and passing semis only pulled us an inch or so sideways. The Forester seems to handle sidewinds no worse with the trailer-- maybe better, since the car itself is such a tall box. I've seen no unusual wear. The head gaskets were leaking at the time of the 100K miles timing belt job, but that's a common Subaru weakness.

I'd call the Forester safe enough for a lightweight Scamp like mine (200 lbs loaded, with a scale receipt to prove it). It's just not a very comfortable one. Your 2010 may have solved my car's issues: terrible wind noise, and a sagging rear end. Older Foresters has MacPherson strut rear suspensions that don't accept air bags, air shocks or other assists. With a 180-200 lb tongue weight, our car's headlights are pointing at the treetops. It looks dangerous, even if it isn't. I'd suggest you research whether your car's suspension can be reinforced to stay level.

It takes planning and self-control to keep a 16-footer so light. Doing it over I'd have gotten a lighter 13" so I could carry more iron pots, spare water, etc. Instead, I've gotten a heftier, much more powerful tow car -- and just put a Euro-spec hitch on it. Is it legal? It does take safety chains, unlike many Euro hitches. They had to remove my bumper shocks to install the 2-inch steel box sections that mount internally to the car, but I'd dare anyone to explain to me how that could cause an accident. After an accident, I doubt it would be noticed.

My other choice for the Audiwas a Class 1 Curt hitch, recommended by local hitch specialty shops. It was legal for 2,000/200 lbs., but not nearly as robust as the Euro-style hitch. The Curt bolts to the Audi's spare tire well, which is a like a large steel drum, unreinforced sheet metal. My mechanics didn't trust it, and I didn't either (for a fuller account, see my current thread on the Audi allroad).

Good luck to the OP here. You've heard lots of advice, some of it conflicting. There will always be someone arguing for bigger safety margins. Some folks won't tow over half the rated load. (Some folks won't drive to the corner Starbucks in less than a a three-ton vehicle, and seeing the way they drive around there in the morning, maybe that's wise.) I say that if you can keep your trailer light -- empty, essentially -- give the 16" a try. If you can beef up your Forester's rear end, that's even better.
John McMillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:33 AM   #126

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
People need to ask questions and receive answers. That's one of the reasons they join FiberglassRV. And decisions are then made based on choices. What one person does (and uses successfully) doesn't necessarily mean another person will have the exact/same success. Different driving skill sets, different loads inside the trailer, even how it's packed, roads a person drives, how much pressure used on the fuel peddle (speed) and whether or not a trailer has brakes. Decisions, decisions, decisions. The one thing that's certain. You make your decision... you live with it and any liability, not someone else, not someone else's checkbook.

Stay safe everyone!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:30 AM   #127

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
Foresters at least through 2010 still have the saggy rump. We and our daughter have the same model and they had the astronomical headlights when mounting their heavy mountain bikes on the receiver hitch. That's one reason we opted for the Compact II. Well have to load carefully to get 100 lbs on the tongue. Right now. Empty it's well under 50 pounds

"Getting there is half the fun"
Kermit the Frog
Denece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:34 AM   #128

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2012 Lil Snoozy w Forester
Illinois
Trying to see some RVs in person now

John McMillin & Donna D,

I follow all these quotes closely and continue to do my homework. I'm much more confident my Forrester will work.

I really now need to see some FGRVs in person. The RV shows I've been to just don't have FGRVs. I suspect this will take some time to accomplish. I'm probably 2-4 months away from making the plunge and posting my own pictures! I'll prbably do the 15', 16' or 17' depending on cost and weight.

The brands I am most interested in are Scamp, ParkLiner and Lil Snoozy. Most of the others are just too expensve or heavy.

Thanks again.

Dave
DavArl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:40 AM   #129

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John McMillin View Post
Now you tell me, Carol H, that I'm doing it all wrong. I've been towing a Scamp 16 all over Colorado for years with a 2004 Forester XS. And today I had a Euro hitch installed on its replacement tow car, an Audi allroad./
The nice thing about sharing on this site is when someone asks for an opinion they are going to get a wide range of experiences.

Obviously my experience in towing the 2nd lightest 16' Scamp on the "Real World Weights" list here, through 8 states and thousands of miles each year, with a vehicle (an Outback) with a higher tow rating than your Forester is different from your experience.

As I have already given MHO in regards to tow over a vehicles towing cap or using equipment that does not meet the manufactures recommendations I see no value to the original poster in repeating it as you request.

I say with all sincerity that I truly hope for the sack of those who share the road with you, that luck remains on your side in regards to your choices and you continue to travel incident free.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:26 PM   #130

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I want to talk more about Rav4 vs. Subaru. I am getting close to getting a new TV and currently I have a 2000 Subaru Forester which I like, but I don't think I would want to tow anything larger than my Campster with it. So I like the idea of the Rav4 V6 but I'm iffy on going to automatic and slightly lower gas mileage. I am going to start this as a new thread to catch any Rav4 owners. Hope that is okay.

I jumped to here.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:02 PM   #131

Calm down, Carol...

I have never towed above my vehicle's USA rating. That's 2400 lbs for the 2004 Forester XS with manual transmission, as stated in my owner's manual. I wouldn't suggest anyone else exceed that limit. You wouldn't be able to maintain sufficient tongue weight for stability. As I've said, the Forester's 200 lb. tongue weight limit is probably overstated.

The point is, my Forester-Scamp combo has proven safe and reliable over a wide range of conditions. I feel the car is quite capable of towing it's full rated weight. I just don't want to anymore. After eight years of "saggy butt" and the wind noise, I sought out a more capable and luxurious alternative with the Audi. If I still wanted a Forester, I'd slightly prefer a smaller trailer so I could carry more gear & people poundage. But from my experience, a light Scamp '16 is also a pretty good choice.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:03 AM   #132

Registry
Quote:
Calm down, Carol...
Old 03-03-2012, 11:20 AM   #133

I was trying to say to stop worrying about we Subaru tow-ers. But that would only prolong an already tired argument.

Just for grins, I looked back in this forum and found 13 pages on this topic "Can a Subaru pull a 16?," scattered among four threads. It's a question that won't go away, and it eludes a final answer. Any car tows well until it breaks or goes off the road. That you have some real data.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:38 AM   #134

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
Quote:
I was trying to say to stop worrying about we Subaru tow-ers. But that would only prolong an already tired argument.
Carol IS a Subaru tow-er
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:02 PM   #135

Oh. This has been a long thread, so I probably lost track of who was warning about what. Carol's concern was about Euro-hitches. That was the best option for my new Audi, which didn't present that middleweight Draw-Tite option. It's not pertinent to the original Subaru question, so I'll let it drop.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:09 PM   #136

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2012 Lil Snoozy w Forester
Illinois
LOL I can't imagine what it would be like to have all of you sitting around a camp fire at some RV rally discussing this topic.

Hope it happens. I'll provide the wine.
DavArl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 04:57 PM   #137

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar1

Carol IS a Subaru tow-er
LOL thanks for confirming that for me!!! Was starting to wonder if perhaps one of the tornados had picked me up & dropped me into the land of OZ ;-)))
Old 03-10-2012, 11:13 AM   #138

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
Question

Quote:

Just for grins, I looked back in this forum and found 13 pages on this topic "Can a Subaru pull a 16?," scattered among four threads. It's a question that won't go away, and it eludes a final answer. Any car tows well until it breaks or goes off the road. That you have some real data.

We are very close to pulling the trigger on getting a new tow for our stripped-down '86 16 ft Scamp Deluxe: Loving the 2012 Subaru Outback --yet... The logical angel on one shoulder says get the 6 cyl engine just to be safe, and the other shoulders' logical angel says we don't need a 6, get the 4 cyl. --put your money into a more necessary option.
What to do? Opinions pleeze?
Attached Thumbnails
UTah-254.jpg  
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:44 AM   #139

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
It is hard to get a good answer to this question. Those who tow with a 4 cylinder will tell you that it works just fine. Those who tow with a 6 cylinder will tell you that they wouldn't want anything less.

I would have considered the 6 cylinder if they offered a CVT transmission with it. Towing with the 4 cylinder and the CVT is perfect for me.
Old 03-10-2012, 02:28 PM   #140

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
Thumbs up Subie-Scamp

Seeking guidance, my forum search of old Subaru-related posts was... the-glass-is-half-full encouraging.
  • Just checked actual tongue weight on my 16 ft Scamp. It is 216 pounds. Hope I did that right.
Evidently the latest, newest Subaru is a bigger fellow. 2012 Outback specs, with 2.5i 4 cyl engine, recommends max trailer weight of 2700 lbs and max tongue wt. 270 lbs!

...oooh,
Attached Thumbnails
ScmpTonge-2.jpg  
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp