WARNING: loss of hitch pin - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2015, 07:43 PM   #21

Name: K
Trailer: C
Iowa
I lived in Michigan for a year, they call their potholes "Michigan Landmines", caused by the 80-ton ore trucks stretching the pavement when they brake. Also caused by the weather's frequent rain/freeze/thaw cycles. I was in a Honda, and accelerated over a deep pothole, the guy behind me nailed his brakes and it burst his tire when the weight went to the front wheels. They had TV cameras filming all the cars hitting the pothole, lol. The weirdest thing about Michigan was, it seemed like everyone had a boat or a snowmobile.
whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 07:53 PM   #22

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I have a device that goes over the pin and using a padlock locks the hairpin clip so it can't be removed. Bought it a long time ago, don't recall where, and haven't seen another.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 08:27 PM   #23

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Guess I should pack an extra clip just in case....
I had a friend that used a locking pin instead of the pin/clip combo, and one day he discovered that some joker had put super glue into the key slot. It took a couple of large motorized tools to get the thing off again (and of course it was destroyed by the time he got it off).

Welcome back, Dave. I hope that you had a wonderful winter in the warmer climates.

For those of us in the North, it was not so good this winter.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 09:58 PM   #24

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Utah
Registry
I had a clip pop off once. I checked it at the prior stop and it was all the way on. When I stopped, clip gone and pin 1/2 way out. Now, always use a locking pin.
Old 04-04-2015, 05:03 AM   #25

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
No pin for me. How strong is it? Most I see have no listing. I use a 3" grade 8 hex head bolt with 2 flat washers and a lock washer. Never had it loose at the end of towing. I also use Hitch Rider HT-3 Hitch Vice. It's the best anti rattle device I've used. Much better than several U bolt designs I've tried.

HT-3 Hitch-Vise Anti-Rattle Clamp by Hitch Rider Racks
Old 04-04-2015, 05:13 AM   #26

Name: Anne
Trailer: 2014 Parkliner 2016 Honda Pilot
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
I have a device that goes over the pin and using a padlock locks the hairpin clip so it can't be removed. Bought it a long time ago, don't recall where, and haven't seen another.

West Marine sells a locking receiver pin. http://www.westmarine.com/buy/master...-lock--5357850. And also sells a package with a coupler lock and receiver lock that use the same key. http://www.westmarine.com/buy/master...ecs-_-MB-_-PDP

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
neparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 10:33 PM   #27

Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13'.
Oklahoma
Registry
For several years I have used a receiver pin that has a key lock on one end.

Otherwise, all a thief has to do to steal your trailer/boat is pull a clip and remove the receiver pin, and place your trailer's shaft in his auto's receiver!

Of course, if a thief really wants the trailer, he will bring along a portable cut-off metal saw and just cut off the receiver pin lock!

A lock does slow down lazy thiefs!

Bill
Bill Nolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 10:22 AM   #28

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nolen View Post
For several years I have used a receiver pin that has a key lock on one end.

Otherwise, all a thief has to do to steal your trailer/boat is pull a clip and remove the receiver pin, and place your trailer's shaft in his auto's receiver!

Of course, if a thief really wants the trailer, he will bring along a portable cut-off metal saw and just cut off the receiver pin lock!

A lock does slow down lazy thiefs!

Bill
Those 4 inch battery powered grinders will make short work of most locks or chain. On the other hand the rooster tail of sparks and grinder noise does tend to draw attention. At least for the brief period it takes to cut.

Heck folks have reported having trailers simply winched up on a flat bed without even dealing with the hitch.

However most thieves are lazy and would rather hit a quick, easy target or victim than a tougher one that will take more time.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 10:46 AM   #29

Name: Rich
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13D
Minnesota
I put a receiver hole plate in for the winter and a brand new dogbone receiver lock. When I went to put the receiver/ball in this week my lock would unlock but refused to come off the pin.

I had to saw the lock off the pin. It took less than ten minutes with my Dremel tool with a circular metal blade.
Rich G. and Val F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 01:46 PM   #30

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Claire View Post
We were towing a tent trailer from Williams Lake into Barkerville one summer. When we got to the campground we discovered the only thing keeping us together was the safety chain. We were pretty sure someone had pulled the pin on us. Problem was there are no stores there, so we took the hitch to the blacksmith and he made us a new pin and hairpin. Cost us $15 but it was well worth it. When we got back to the city we bought a locking pin and have used it ever since. We keep the blacksmith one to remind us to check it often.
This is a good reason to properly set up your trailer chains so at least if you loose the hitch pin your stinger cant pull all the way out dropping your trailer.
You did good.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 02:51 PM   #31

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
I ride my bike (pedals) 1,000's of klm's a year and over the past 10 years I have found 3 of these on the side of the road. Bet there is a good story behind everyone of them.
Suspect the story to be that the party took the pin off when they unhitched the trailer or pulled their stringer off - placed the pin on the bumper and forgot about it. Pin eventually falls off bumper as they drive down the road Have heard that story a few times - usually about the time someone goes to put the stringer back on the hitch and starts questioning where the pin for it went.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 03:29 PM   #32

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I have never seen a hitch pin or retaining clip on the road but I have personally picked up 3 stingers with ball attached off the highway and several I have drove by and left as too dangerous to retrieve. This all in city streets and highways in southern California. How people loose this stuff I don't know.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 03:57 PM   #33

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
We use a padlock.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 04:00 PM   #34

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Suspect the story to be that the party took the pin off when they unhitched the trailer or pulled their stringer off - placed the pin on the bumper and forgot about it. Pin eventually falls off bumper as they drive down the road Have heard that story a few times - usually about the time someone goes to put the stringer back on the hitch and starts questioning where the pin for it went.
Sounds like someone is speaking from experience.

Speaking experience, has anyone ever not latched their hitch to the ball before. I know someone who has.....twice. And once was with a dump trailer, which I never realized until the 8,000 lb load was way up in the air. Thank god for chains.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 09:11 AM   #35

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul E Henning View Post
I[snip]

What I have seen and heard about on multiple occasions is that there are those folks out there that think it is funny to swipe a hitch pin off of a parked vehicle. "Hey, watch this! Har, har". I always carry a spare pin, for that very reason. It has happened to me. [snip]
Once after leaving a rest stop my water heater's door came open. Anyone who has a water heater knows it's just not going to come open by it's self and yes I have the metal style latch.
Since most rest stops have trucks and cars towing trailers park in the same area it's just possible there are some really bored jokers.

I always use a locking pin, lock on the hitch and stainless steel screws helping to secure the refrigerator vents. Why make it easy for them?

I also use a "Hitch-vice" to remove the slop between the hitch and receiver from these people.
Hitch tightener: no wobble, anti rattle stabilizer device for hitch accessories

Joe
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 09:23 AM   #36

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
I have never seen a hitch pin or retaining clip on the road but I have personally picked up 3 stingers with ball attached off the highway and several I have drove by and left as too dangerous to retrieve. This all in city streets and highways in southern California. How people loose this stuff I don't know.
NO BRAINS!!
We were headed north through LA on our way home on Apr. 6th on the 5.
Just north of the 5 - 405 interchange a truck loaded with outhouses and 2 big white plastic containers about 2ft x 4ft x 8ft strapped across the back,,barely got up to speed when one of the plastic containers slid off into traffic. we were out of the direction of the container travel so I excaped no problem but a quick look in the mirror I noticed cars diving around,,,,,,,,,,
can't imagine the trouble that caused!! The truck got off at the next exit with the other container about ready to fall off.

People are plain lazy when it comes to securing stuff in or behind their truck.
Fred
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 10:07 AM   #37

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Sounds like someone is speaking from experience.

Speaking experience, has anyone ever not latched their hitch to the ball before. I know someone who has.....twice. And once was with a dump trailer, which I never realized until the 8,000 lb load was way up in the air. Thank god for chains.

Yes I have seen a number of occurrences of the hitch latch not being secured or if it was it wasn't locked down correctly resulting in a trailer disconnect. Mostly on a Sunday as people are leaving a fiberglass trailer or vintage trailer meet - perhaps their heads are a little foggy & they did not take the time to double check the ball was completely locked in - often the disconnect occurs before they get completely out of the camping area to the amusement of other meet participants.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 10:53 AM   #38

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Once many years ago I saw a trailer disconnect from a pick up truck that was moving along at about 60 mph. The divided 4 lane highway was very bumpy and the trailer disconnected and started to head across traffic directly into the path of my vehicle. If it had continued across the median I would have had a real problem, but one wheel of the trailer hit one of the many potholes in the pavement causing the out of control trailer to make a sharp right turn away from my path. For a few seconds I thought I was going to be involved in a serious accident. I watched in my rear view mirror and the trailer continued traveling thru some barrier bushes and went into a lake. It was completely submerged under water. I waited to see if the driver of the pick up would return. the pick up never returned in the time I waited and without my help I doubt he ever found the trailer. I'm not sure why the trailer disconnected but I am sure excessive speed and pavement full of potholes were part of the problem. The trailer was a double axle stake side. I suspect it was a rental but don't know for sure. If there were safety chains they didn't work.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 09:09 AM   #39

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
Those "hair pins" that secure the draw bar pin seem a little sketchy. Mine is the type that goes through a hole drilled in the pin. Some snap around a groove in the pin. They work well, but the potential for disaster is there if the pin gets deformed by use and simply falls off. I try to remember to check everything before hitting the road, but it would be easy to miss one thing without using a check list.
Maybe a second hole drilled through the pin as a backup would be simple and good. It wouldn't solve theft or tampering though. I detest having to use locks on everything. I lose keys or the damn things rust up. arrgh..
I elected to use set screws in lieu of a anti-rattle U bolt on the receiver. There are two 3/8" bolts, one on the top and one on the side. When clamped down the draw bar could most likely tow the trailer without a pin. The set screws keep the pin from rattling, so no wear happens to the holes or pin. Quietness is good. The set screws could also deter theft of the draw bar.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote