WDH or not - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2016, 12:25 PM   #1

Name: michael
Trailer: 2008 Escape 17B
British Columbia
WDH or not

I recently purchased a new to us 2008 Escape 17B in Seattle and drove it home into Canada - Surrey. The drive was uneventful and the trailer towed without any issue but I had to wonder after going over many posts whether or not I needed a WDH. I performed a simple test. I measured the distance from the ground to the bottom of my front license plate holder with the trailer unhitched. I then hitched the trailer up and measured again and found that my front end had risen by 1". That means I was losing front wheel traction. I purchased a trunion bar WDH made by Curt over the web. I installed the hitch and then redid my tests. My front measurement stayed the same unhitched and hitched. Such a simple test to decide whether or not a WDH is warranted or not.

Before assembling the hitch, I went through the parts list and found a couple of mistakes. Instead of 5 clips (the type to secure the hitch pin, there were only 2. There were 2 U bolt which meant there should have been 4 nuts with them, but there were only 3 - and those were not the right thread. I checked the box and found the hitch was made in India. Not in love with their quality control over there.
mweichel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 12:40 PM   #2

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Just my opinion, but the tow vehicle has more to do with whether or not you need a weight distribution hitch.

So, what's your TV? Have you checked the owners manual on towing requirements?
Old 07-10-2016, 12:47 PM   #3

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
I do use a weight distribution hitch on my van it is rear wheel drive so I'm not losing traction but it makes a big difference leveling.

The other thing is if for any reason the trailer became unhitched the weight distribution hitch is going to hold it together, I also think it helps braking to keep the trailer traveling straight.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 02:22 PM   #4

Name: michael
Trailer: 2008 Escape 17B
British Columbia
Tow is a 2012 Santa Fe V6. I would think that any Front Wheel Drive Tow that has the front end lifted when hitched could use a WDH. Mine is rated for 3500 lbs and my trailer is well within that.
mweichel is offline   Reply With Quote