WDH Springbar Chain Position - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2012, 08:47 PM   #1

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
WDH Springbar Chain Position

Do I need to call the welder?

There are bracket for a wdh on the frame of the Leocraft. (There were also dualcam sway control Kachingases that could not be matched to any bars..too old school.. they went to the recycler)

The position of the brackets are usually standard in spacing..so I thought (As did everyone else here)

If I use the brackets in the position they are in now, the chains will angle back exactly as illustrated by the red line in the pic below.

The Green line is how they normally are, at a right angle to the bar mounting holes.

Can I do this? Or do I need to call the welder to remove the FooKockta brackets the PO put on for the propane tanks?

What is the danger of using them angled back? If there is no danger, will it make it more difficult to install when hitching up?

I have not a clue to these answers..and google is not being my friend on this.
Attached Thumbnails
spring chain position.jpg  
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:25 PM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
It is too bad that you can't just LENGTHEN the springbars! (I think I lost my bar stretcher! )

My concern would be when going around a corner as the "angle of the dangle" changes a bit with cornering. Could wind up being even MORE severe of an angle and catching on the tank bracket.

Wonder if a whole 'nother concept could be used?

Move the chain hook forward (under the tank bracket) and redesign the latch so that it would not require being levered to an "overcenter position" (It WOULD require jacking the tongue VERY high to do 'em up but..... )

As it is, I would not technically use the term "more difficult to hook up" - "impossible" comes more to mind!

Not sure if I am communicating this very well, but ......
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:39 PM   #3

Registry
ya need a bar squisher! In this case, the bars are too long and the chains angle downwards toward the rear of the trailer.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:12 PM   #4

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
I don't suppose they'd shrink if U washed them in hot water?

OTH - I guess they COULD be shortened - which would definitely change the spring rates, which would mean that you don't do them up so tight

It'd be the equivalent of using bars that are WAY too heavy for the job - but technically doable.

I am not 100% sure I wanna recommend this approach as the net effect may be to move TOO MUCH weight around and transfer enough to your tug's front wheels as to lift the back ones off the ground in the humpy-bumpy stuff. If U R trying to make a turn at that point as well, your life will suddenly get very "interesting".

If you can find some lighter bars and then shorten them up, you could potentially end up with the same net effect you have now... (or not)
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:21 PM   #5

Registry
I have a welder coming out tomorrow to get rid of the propane arrangement, remount the brackets and do a new propane holder. I am going do a single tank. Tongue weight is a concern, might as well go on a diet while I have the chance.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:24 PM   #6

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina D. View Post
Do I need to call the welder?

If I use the brackets in the position they are in now, the chains will angle back exactly as illustrated by the red line in the pic below.

The Green line is how they normally are, at a right angle to the bar mounting holes.
Call the welder.
WDH spring bars work using leverage; not unlike mechanical scales.
The 3 rules of a connection like Spring Bar chains are:
  1. Straight
  2. Level
  3. Plumb
With the chains angled like your RED line, the leverage will be more than what you think it is, and you'll wind up snapping the end off a bar from over tension. Don't ask how I know this.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:29 PM   #7

Registry
I called the welder

Okey Dokey... let the chopping begin!

Here is the tongue with all the creative junk Bubba did, followed by the removal of all the creative junk Bubba did () and the cut bits to create a new battery holder and a PROPER propane tank mount.

The old mount weighed as much as a full tank of propane! It had no way to secure the tanks down at the bottom either. I towed it up here with ratchet straps and bungees. They did nothing but slide at the bottom, no matter how tight the top bracket was tightened down. Bubba apparently thought they would be OK with no lip. He actaully cut up a proper holder to make this masterpeice.

Job is not done yet, but the battery will sit in the center. 2 more cross bars (Front to back) will be installed to keep the box centered, the new prefabbed dual tank holder will go forward and the regulater mounted to it (Instead of lagged into the coach as it is now) and after the WDH brackets are mounted, we will see if there is enough room to put a carrier in for my generator to sit in and be locked to.

Have to move the trailer tomorrow to get it over to a 50 amp circuit for the welding machine. Oh what fun this is.
Attached Thumbnails
tongueprecut.jpg   tankholderpre.jpg  

tonguepostcut.jpg   tonguepostcutbatterybrackets.jpg  

Old 03-24-2012, 07:55 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Looks better already Gina!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 05:53 AM   #9

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina D. View Post
I have a welder coming out tomorrow to get rid of the propane arrangement, remount the brackets and do a new propane holder. I am going do a single tank. Tongue weight is a concern, might as well go on a diet while I have the chance.
Why did you change your plans re: weight and go back to dual tanks and adding a generator?
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:52 AM   #10

Registry
Getting rid of the old holder made up for the extra tank weight and shifting the battery back lessened the load a tad, tho its probably insignificant.

There really wasn't an elegant way to do the tank and still put the bracket where it needs to be. Would have had to do some special fab and that added significantly to the cost.

The generator is a test, it may not ride there if it's a problem. He had scrap material to do it with and after the rest gets on, it is a "5 min job" according to him.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:39 PM   #11

Registry
well, it's all welded in and the wdh is adjusted and functional, along with a sway bar. (I couldn't afford 2 LOL!)

I towed my own trailer for the first time today and it actually felt better than the Burro did.

I will post pics of the finished product later. I have to put an extension on the propane line before I remount the tanks and regulator, and rewire the battery permanently. Unfortunately, I lost my grounding point and have to extend the wires to reach an already drilled hole to mount it to.

THEN I get to check the brakes. I tapped the wire to the + side of the battery today. No click of pucks... yikes.