WDH/Sway Bar Bigfoot 25RQ Twin with front storage box - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2024, 10:52 AM   #21

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Charles is spot on, as usual. I use the Blue Ox and the single, long bolt referenced above was always a concern, specifically that it might pierce the propane tanks if in an accident and also because they intruded so far into the area and always seem to needed tightening. I replaced this part of the Blue Ox system with the (Amazon) Lippert Straptek Weight Distribution Tensioner system 335852. This uses 2 bolts instead of one bolt to hold the device to the frame on each side, and reduces chain rattling, also easier to use than the OEM Blue Ox.
Old 02-08-2024, 03:12 PM   #22

Name: Cliff
Trailer: In market
Texas
We went and looked at a 25RQ last weekend and I just called the dealership where we went and asked if they have a preferred sway control hitch . He said with the 25’ models nor sway control is needed. Said he pulled one from North Dakota to Marble Falls , Texas at about 75-80 with no problems. He added he would install any hitch I wanted if I thought I needed it . He asked what vehicle I would pull it with I said my current 2020 F450 , he said no problem there . He said Bigfoot trailers especially the longest one really didn’t need sway control because they are wider and low profile.
So I don’t know if this is salesman BS or what . You guys have shared advice in this thread so I’ll have some thinking to do when we pull the trigger. I’m not a expert on travel trailers but I would think there would be some sway on certain occasions.
cwall59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 08:36 PM   #23

Name: Charles
Trailer: Bigfoot
Georgia
The 25ft's advantage is the location of the fresh water and waste tanks, down low and more toward the middle, especially the fresh water.

Yes, most of them tow just fine without any sway control, WHEN THEY ARE EMPTY (except for some older model 21FB models). Its when you start jamming a few hundred pounds of stuff in them that the situation changes. I don't think any RV dealer goes camping. Skip to about the one minute mark where the RV becomes visible way ahead. Read the description the Youtuber wrote also.

This video is a (presumed) empty 25RQ https://youtu.be/RJL7bDYxx04?si=FQq7HrVUogGoTf60

Its I-5 in Washington state so a good chance wind played a factor in it.

You have the advantage of having the front cargo pod, which adds substantial weight to the tongue.

Charles
Old 02-08-2024, 08:37 PM   #24

Tennessee
cwall59, Don't overthink it. Pull it home without a WDH or sway control. If you feel it tows ok, then maybe load it up and take it for a nice drive and go camping for a few days, sort of as a shake down cruise. If still ok, don't worry about it. If you feel it might be of some benefit, install a WDH or sway control. (the Blue Ox does both, and you can back up without first dismounting the WDH). I do have a WDH, but would not hesitate to tow my trailer loaded without it. I have the WDH installed just in case. The BF 25RQ with cargo box frankly tows very nicely.
Old 02-08-2024, 08:52 PM   #25

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwall59 View Post
Thanks for the information, I have never pulled a travel trailer, we currently have a triple axle 40’ 5thwheel that I pull with a GenY gooseneck style hitch. Different animals I know so just trying to figure out what I may need ahead of time. My truck has a weight distribution receiver hitch from the factory. See so many types of equalization/ sway bar type hitches my head is spinning.
You might watch this video (and any other one that Robert has produced, lots of good trailer videos) https://youtu.be/ie_szIujKYI?si=0o0BATN0YvmWNL49 as it demonstrates a Bosch combination anti -lock brake and electronic sway control system in action.

Charles
Old 02-09-2024, 09:54 PM   #26

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Olive View Post
I will add that the Equalizer hitch does allow me to fully open the tailgate when hitched. Assume the same with Blue Ox but worth asking.
That is all relative to the vehicle, the length of the shank used, and the tongue jack used. Some people don't like 18 inch shanks but if it means getting the tailgate open...... My Blue Ox came with the standard length, seven hole shank and the tailgate just clears the Lippert tongue jack.

The Lippert Straptek system that Rzrbrn mentioned is HERE on Amazon and HERE on the Lippert site You just have to be sure and bring the bars to the right height every time. The straps are a wear item and will eventually need replacing. Worth keeping a spare set of the straps on board.

Charles
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20200717_211756843.jpg  
Old 02-10-2024, 06:14 AM   #27

Tennessee
Unfortunately replacement straps for the Lippert Straptek system are not available. This from the Lippert website:

https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...cd-0003569.pdf

Note: The strap is not a replaceable part, as it is permanently affixed to the tie down winch. If the strap is damaged, a new tie down winch will need to be ordered.
Old 02-10-2024, 08:56 AM   #28

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Lots of good advice here. I had to chuckle, though, about the advice from the dealership about the fact that longer, lower profile trailers like the Bigfoot donít sway. Any ball-pull trailer can sway if the conditions are right. Your decision is whether or not to bet on when or why these conditions occur. With us, we learned right away that our 28í Bigfoot Silver Cloud swayed badly with winds and passing trucks. So much for longer and lower not swaying! So we went with the Pro Pride hitch to take care of weight distribution and sway in one package. Expensive yes, but it meant we got to keep the trailer we loved. Best of luck in your decision-making!
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 10:38 AM   #29

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin A View Post
Lots of good advice here. I had to chuckle, though, about the advice from the dealership about the fact that longer, lower profile trailers like the Bigfoot donít sway. Any ball-pull trailer can sway if the conditions are right. Your decision is whether or not to bet on when or why these conditions occur. With us, we learned right away that our 28í Bigfoot Silver Cloud swayed badly with winds and passing trucks. So much for longer and lower not swaying! So we went with the Pro Pride hitch to take care of weight distribution and sway in one package. Expensive yes, but it meant we got to keep the trailer we loved. Best of luck in your decision-making!
Yep always take salesman advise with caution. When we were shopping 5thwheelís most of the sales people said a 3/4 to single wheel truck is all you will need . Most of the trailers were over capacity for a single wheel truck. So I take their advice with a grain of salt . I will probably go your route seems like a simpler system even though more expensive.
Old 02-10-2024, 09:07 PM   #30

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
Unfortunately replacement straps for the Lippert Straptek system are not available. This from the Lippert website:

https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...cd-0003569.pdf

Note: The strap is not a replaceable part, as it is permanently affixed to the tie down winch. If the strap is damaged, a new tie down winch will need to be ordered.
Which is a bunch of BS as this is a pic from the Lipper web site.

Charles
Old 02-12-2024, 11:15 AM   #31

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesinGA View Post
Which is a bunch of BS as this is a pic from the Lipper web site.

Charles
Thank you, CharlesinGA,
After a "can't be bought" from Lippert, I kept pressing due to Charles comment, and Violŗ! The following email came:

The strap, only, is part number 760108.

Your cost is $44.95 a piece, plus shipping. This part has a 5-7 business day lead time before shipping.

If you would like to order, please call 574.537.8900 and listen to the prompts for the axle/chassis parts team and any agent can assist you. Please refer to case 4694401 when calling.

Thank you.

Beth B.
Lippert Customer Care Center Representative
P: 432.LIPPERT | f: 537.534.7161
E: customerservice@lci1.com
Lippert
Old 02-13-2024, 12:00 AM   #32

Georgia
You should have spare straps on hand. If one broke on a trip, it would really kill the trip. They are small and light weight, easy to keep with other small spare parts.

Charles
Old 02-13-2024, 07:54 AM   #33

Tennessee
Yes indeed Charles, done and done. Thanks again. I would have dropped looking for replacement straps had you not suggested otherwise.
Old 02-22-2024, 06:23 PM   #34

Texas
I talked to a guy at ProPride and he mentioned not using the jacks but using the Lippert StapTek system on the Bigfoot. Says their standard jack system would interfere with the storage box .
Old 02-22-2024, 08:07 PM   #35

Name: Dan
Trailer: In the market
California
Iím getting a Silverado EV probably this year and a Bigfoot probably next. GM recommends not using a WD hitch - not necessary with the suspension on this truck. Just a simple ball is good enough, so thatís my plan. Good thing too as there are few drive through charging stations!

FWIW.
BigDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 08:26 PM   #36

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
^^^That would be an interesting rig! Please check back when/if it materializes.
Old 02-23-2024, 06:50 PM   #37

Name: Dan
Trailer: In the market
California
Sure will. Reservation for the EV but GM is taking its time, probably Summer. Anyhow I need to wrap this all up before I retire in a couple years.
BigDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 07:26 PM   #38

Name: Tom
Trailer: BigFoot 25B25RT
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesinGA View Post
You should have spare straps on hand. If one broke on a trip, it would really kill the trip. They are small and light weight, easy to keep with other small spare parts.

Charles
Thanks Charles I am ordering a set next Monday. Every time I hook up I eyeball the straps but having a spare set will be great.
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 10:54 PM   #39

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasC View Post
Thanks Charles I am ordering a set next Monday. Every time I hook up I eyeball the straps but having a spare set will be great.
You are quite welcome. The straptek installation on yours made the very clunky looking ProPride installation much better. I always thought that using trailer tongue jacks for raising and lowering the bars to be..... well, ugly. Workable but lots of weight and clunky.

Someone could invent a ratcheting chain mechanism.

Charles

Tags
bigfoot