Weighing on the road - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2012, 08:43 PM   #1

Name: Richard & Carolyn
Trailer: 2000 Casita SD 17'
Gabriola Island, BC
Registry
Weighing on the road

We are on our second trip with our 17' 2000 Casita and had an opportunity to weigh our units on the road.
We drove onto a highway station and I weighed each axle while my wife wrote down the numbers. We were in a line so tried to do this quickly so as not delay the line behind us.
Now I am looking to find if I did this correctly. The front and rear axels were close to the same (1140kg) and the trailer axle was 1340kg.
Converting to pounds that's about 2500 pounds for each vehicle axel and almost 3000 for the trailer.
The TV is a Ford Ranger and the total combined weight is around 5000 pounds.
Does this seem reasonable?
Thanks
Richard
Greybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:02 PM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Cant comment on the tow vehicle but the trailer weight of 3000lbs for the trailer axles sounds about right but you will need to add the tongue weight to that to get the actual weight of the trailer. Tongue weights for the 17' Casita on the Real World Weight list run from 300lbs to 560lbs with most in the 360 to 460lb range which would land your trailers actual weight in the 3400/3500lb range which also sounds about right.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:58 PM   #3

Name: Richard & Carolyn
Trailer: 2000 Casita SD 17'
Gabriola Island, BC
Registry
What I was also wondering was if both axle weights of the TV should be so close to equal under usual conditions with a WDH. Maybe I was too hurried and read the same one twice. :-). Or, is the WDH doing such a job that it equals out the weight between front and rear TV axles?
Well I will continue to explore and when we get back and the Casita is home sleeping, I will weigh just the TV and take a bit more time.
Stay tuned, more will be revealed. Gotta get there and back first.
Richard
Greybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:01 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Next time you go to the dump, check the weight of you empty truck on exit. Subtracting that from the total previous axle weight will give you a pretty good idea of the trailer weght. Of course, you probably carry some gear in the truck when towing that would be a factor.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:54 PM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Richard it sounds like the WDH is doing what its suppose to do if they were close to equal. You havent said where on the road you are but if you are in Oregon or going to be passing through Oregon you could weigh the whole truck again on the many free scales they have and see if the total is the same.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 06:17 AM   #6

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
Richard,
If you can, get three separate trips across a scale. One trip with just the truck. A second with the trailer connected but the WD bars off, and a final trip with with the trailer connected and the weight bars connected.
From those numbers you can get all the info you need.

Typically you want to have your WD set up to get the steer axle back to pretty close to what is with no trailer attached. Under no circumstance should you have "so much" WD that you make the drive axle lighter than it is without the trailer.
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:36 AM   #7

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
Hi Richard

Nice to meet you and your wife this week in Osoyoos
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote