Weight allocation in Casita for towing. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2018, 07:47 PM   #21

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete_britt View Post
Quote:
[A lot of today's trucks just have no payload. you put two cheeseburger eaten grown men in there and 1/2 you payload is gone.
I seen several post where $30,000 to $40,000 trucks suspension can not handle 350lbs on the hitch.]

Oh well, just get a 3/4 ton or better yet a 1 ton pickup (or van) then you don't have to worry much about what you are carrying.
My neighbor got rid of her 1/2 ton pickup truck and traded it in for a Ford F350 dually with the diesel engine.
Her reasoning was she likes to travel and didn't want to have to spend all day packing and worrying about weight.
Now she just loads up and goes where and when she wants.
Hard to argue with her logic.

A couple years ago she took her horses and went on a 30 day camping trip to Yellowstone . She said the Ford was flawless
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 08:06 AM   #22

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Hmmm... I find a certain irony as I read post after post touting pickups as the safest and best way to tow a trailer... and another set of posts bemoaning low payload limits of many new trucks.

Sounds like many light trucks have become softly sprung, super-sized sedans with powerful engines and a large trunk you daren't fill... your grandfather's Buick Electra masquerading as a truck...

Name:   Electra.jpeg
Views: 51
Size:  9.0 KB

A 1T dually? Diesel? Seriously? The day towing a trailer requires a heavy-duty truck is the day I retire from towing a trailer.

Three-row minivans and crossovers have payload ratings in the 1500# range, more than some pickups, it seems. Tow ratings are less, of course, so big trailers are out, but within their capabilities, there is actually a better correspondence between towing and payload. Cargo vans are another alternative with decent towing and payload capacity. Neither requires payload-robbing add-ons like toppers to secure your cargo.

I offer these observations mostly tongue-in-cheek. I know that trucks have their legitimate place in the towing world. I also know that there are those who would rather walk than drive anything else. For myself I'm glad a smaller trailer carrying less stuff remains an alternative to a bigger truck.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 05:03 PM   #23

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Jon with up to a 3270 pound payload, the new F150 rocks!

The no options Scamp 13 can be towed by many vehicles, even some small ones. It’s when people add all kinds of options, another 3 feet of length, that the challenge begins.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 09:05 PM   #24

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Read your owners manual very carefully. How the measure capasity can very greatly. Then do the math. Different models, vary and how they count passengers and driver weight can be different too. There are ways to deal with rear squat. Anywhere from rear tire pressures to air bags, or timbren support or weight distribution hitches. Allot can be done to level the truck when you load the truck. Don't short or over extend yourself. Know what you working with. Read the owners manual and do the math. Don't assume anything.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita, weight