Weight distribution hitch - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2012, 03:21 PM   #1

Trailer: Casita
Registry
Weight distribution hitch

I want to get a weight distribution hitch for my 16' Casita. I am looking at a Fastway brand. Does anyone have any opinion on them or others? What model do you recommend? There are about four sizes. The biggest is more than I need but I also want to think about the future if I upsize to the 17 foot unit. I can't read the hitch info on my current trailer. Painted over. I am wondering what the tongue weight is on most Casitas also?

thanks
Gene Masse
ND
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:19 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Gene, I can't help with the weight distribution hitch question, but for tongue weights and trailer weights in general, see this topic: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rld-43010.html

I know folks are going to ask... what's your tow vehicle?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 05:07 PM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Thumbs up I Like the Fastway Brand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Masse View Post
I want to get a weight distribution hitch for my 16' Casita. I am looking at a Fastway brand. Does anyone have any opinion on them or others? What model do you recommend? There are about four sizes. The biggest is more than I need but I also want to think about the future if I upsize to the 17 foot unit.
I use a Weight Distribution Hitch to tow my 16' Fiber Stream with my Honda Odyssey minivan. As Donna suggested, the most important thing is what kind of Tow Vehicle do you have? My Odyssey's owner's manual states that it requires a Weight Distribution Hitch for trailers over 2000 pounds total weight up to an absolute maximum of 3500 pounds total weight. My Lightweight Weight Distribution Hitch is rated for up to 350 pounds of tongue weight. I was taught to match the Weight Distributing Hitch Capacity to the actual Tongue Weight of my trailer. In essence, my Weight Distribution Hitch enables the full towing capacity of my Odyssey. Using a heavier rated Weight Distribution Hitch cannot increase that capacity above the 3500 pound maximum.

My recommendation is that the smallest Fastway Weight Distributing Hitch is more than adequate for either a 16' or a 17' Casita. The average 16' Casita's tongue weight is below 300 pounds, and the average 17' Casita runs in the 420 pound vicinity. A bigger Weight Distributing Hitch will have the risk of bending or breaking your trailer's tongue, your Tow Vehicle's Hitch Receiver, and/or your Tow Vehicle's "frame."

If I didn't already have the Weight Distributing Hitch that came with my Fiber Stream trailer, I would definitely consider the Fastway Brand on my short list of contenders. I own a Fastway Flip tongue-jack foot that has made my life much easier.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:08 PM   #4

Registry
I will either use a Chevy 1/2 ton or the real reason for the WDH is I intend to also use my Chrysler Town & Country mini van also. I was told that if it drops the back end 2" or more I should use one. I also want the advantage of the stabilizer either way.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:13 PM   #5

Name: John
Trailer: gave up!!
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
I own a Fastway Flip tongue-jack foot that has made my life much easier.
That thing is awesome Frederick! Another toy added to the list...
John_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 05:14 PM   #6

Registry
Fred you pretty much said what I was thinking. I wanted to take advantage of others experience. Thanks. I watched a short ad video on that Tongue-jack. Interesting but not interested. I want the wheel. I find it better to use to push the camper around some when I need or want to.
Thanks for the help also Donna. That list didn't have my Casita on it but the Scamp Standard is about the same thing or at least close enough.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:22 PM   #7

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Masse View Post
I was told that if it drops the back end 2" or more I should use one. I also want the advantage of the stabilizer either way.
Since the Chevy is Rear-Wheel Drive, a Weight Distribution hitch is less important with it, especially with a Casita 16'. The Chrysler Minivan is definite candidate for Weight Distribution with either size trailer.

My Fiber Stream is too heavy for a tongue-jack wheel to be of much use, I would have better luck with a trailer dolly, but at the moment I don't need either.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:35 PM   #8

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_M View Post
That thing is awesome Frederick! Another toy added to the list...
Ditto!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:59 PM   #9

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
The Fastway is made by the same company as the Equal-i-zer, which has been around for decades. Should be a very good product.

I've been eyeing the new Anderson No-Sway hitch, which uses a totally new idea of tensioned chains instead of bars. So far I'm seeing good comments from users, except for one person who couldn't get it set well enough with his Ford Expedition to suit him.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:05 PM   #10

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
For the 13' to 17' size trailers I strongly recommend that you get the weight at the trailer axle when loaded and WHD hitch engaged. It's really easy to over stress the axle and tires on these small trailers. Make sure you have a bit of head room for that bump in the road too.

Tags
weight