Weight distribution hitch - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2015, 04:39 PM   #1

Trailer: Boler
Weight distribution hitch

We just bought a Bigfoot 17 trailer and were towing it home and lost a spring bar for the weight distribution hitch. The remaining bar has a stamp of 550 on it. I know I should have matching bars, but I'm not sure what that marking means. I'm looking at used bars but I don't know if some of them that are heavier duty would work. Are the bars different diameters were they insert into the hitch?

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Michael Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 04:48 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I'd suggest going to a trailer shop and find out what you need. Substituting different or non-matching bars may put an unbalanced load on your trailer and cause it to drift one way or the other. Putting heavier bars in place may lead to a cracked or bent frame. Even the spring bars that came with the hitch may be the wrong ones for the trailer and TV.

Gotta say though, I have never heard of someone losing a spring bar, was it attached at the time?

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 05:28 PM   #3

Yeah it was, but I'm new to these hitches and may have not had it tightened enough. Seemed tight when I went to wiggle it. The spring wire that prevents it from coming un sprung is broken. We pulled out of a gas station that had a decent curb and it fell out. We went 3 blocks and stopped at a light where somebody told us it fell out.

Old 08-12-2015, 06:30 PM   #4
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Hi Mike. what brand of Hitch is it? thnxs.

Also can you tell us more about your set up? What tow vehicle?
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 08:29 PM   #5

The hitch has DSP 550 stamped on it. It also has a CP products sway control model 34715. My truck is a 2008 Toyota Tacoma 4wd with tow package. The equalizer spring bar has EL 550 stamped on it. Thanks for the help.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1439432927.265946.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	87709Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1439432946.982852.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	87710

Old 08-12-2015, 08:47 PM   #6

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
DSP Hitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Collins View Post
The hitch has DSP 550 stamped on it. It also has a CP products sway control model 34715. My truck is a 2008 Toyota Tacoma 4wd with tow package. The equalizer spring bar has EL 550 stamped on it. Thanks for the help.

Attachment 87709Attachment 87710

WOW Talk about timing.... You need to look at this link and make a phone call to DSP tomorrow. It appears that they in the process of shutting down. and spares may soon be hard to get, if they aren't already..... I didn't take the time to read through the site.
DSP Hitches — Makers of fine trailer and fifth wheel accessories

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 08:59 PM   #7

Thanks. I'll phone tomorrow. Much appreciated.

Old 08-13-2015, 10:06 AM   #8

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
Another cost effective option: If you are anywhere near a Harbor Freight Store they sell a complete weight distribution system ( everything included except the hitch ball...and it looks like you might need one of those anyway) for $199.
It is the same system I have been using for years. It may be available for shipment, however the heavy weight might make that costly for shipment.

Good Luck.
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 11:04 AM   #9

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
With an 08 Tacoma 4x4 with tow package you might not need a WDH at all. I tow my Bigfoot with an 07 Tacoma 4x4 and do not see any need for one.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 01:37 PM   #10

DSP quoted me $57 for a new bar. After shipping and tax I'll be around $100. I just realized I installed the bar wrong when I lost it. If I would have inserted it at 90 degrees it would have been locked in there. My mistake. I've got the hitch so I'll use it. Won't hurt. We towed it home 250km without it and the truck did fine, but like I said, why not use it if I've got it.

Old 08-13-2015, 02:01 PM   #11

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
When towing a travel trailer I have a minimum standard amount of equipment.
This minimum is the net result of having been towing travel trailers since 1985.

My must have list: trailer brakes and quality brake controler, sway controllers, weight distribution system, safety chains with working break-away switch.

Memo for Jack L.....the type and size of your truck does not dictate the minimum equipment that you should have to provide safe stabil towing. An interesting video was posted on this site about a week ago showing what was a Ford F-150 being swayed all over a highway by a travel trailer. If the above equipment was in place and the driver knew how to use it the total destruction of the travel trailer might have been avoided....truck spun-out and did a "180" coming to rest in the median.

Better safe than sorry.
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 04:12 PM   #12
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post

My must have list: trailer brakes and quality brake controler, sway controllers, weight distribution system, safety chains with working break-away switch.
I'm in that group of thinking too. Better to have more safety items than you need than less.

I do have one additional item I found valuable. Our trailer is equipped with fiber optic driven indicator lights that are on the road side of the trailer, which I can see in my rear view mirror. When the trailer lights are working normally the FO lights indicate that. If for any reason the trailer lights fail the FO lights are not lit. A nice feature.
Old 08-13-2015, 05:16 PM   #13

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
How about a pic of that FO setup Wayne?
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 05:55 PM   #14
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
How about a pic of that FO setup Wayne?
Dave, it is not that clear in the pic but it was a factory installed option on the early 70's models. From the drivers seat it is quite visible. Looks like an LED but not as bright.
There are two lights visible. One shows that the tail lights are on and the other glows when the brake lights are on. One will also glow when a directional signal is operating.
Attached Thumbnails
airstream 444  05 IMG_3504.JPG  
Old 08-18-2015, 05:37 PM   #15

Well I ordered a replacement spring bar for my hitch. I installed it and found it sits 4" higher than the original. I compared both and found the angle of the bar where it mounts into the hitch, is different. I'm going to notify DSP, but they told me it was there last one. Probably a return years ago that was an oddball. I think I'll have to heat it up and bend it. Not sure how easy this will be with spring type steel.

Name:   ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1439941011.898883.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  12.6 KB

Old 08-18-2015, 07:47 PM   #16
MC1

Ontario
If you try to heat and bend suggest contacting the company again to see if they recommend that process. If they do then maybe a good spring shop would understand how to best do it.
I know when they re arc leaf springs they don't use heat. Just a powerful press to reform them.
Old 08-19-2015, 05:56 PM   #17

I talked to DSP and they said they can't be bent without weakening the spring bars. There is a difference of 3" between the 2. The owner is recommending I return the oddball bar and buy a whole new hitch for $250. I'm wondering if I can use the different height bar. I'd just have to guesstimate tension to get them equal. Probably not ideal.

Old 08-19-2015, 06:23 PM   #18

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Sorry to hear of your problem, but on the bright side, you're that much wiser now.

While you're replacing the lost bar you might want to spray some Ospho on that hitch to stop the rust, followed by some black spray paint. The whole unit will look brand spanking new. Also when ordering from DSP you may be able to get replacement decals to put on after the paint.
Old 08-19-2015, 07:04 PM   #19
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Collins View Post
I talked to DSP and they said they can't be bent without weakening the spring bars. There is a difference of 3" between the 2. The owner is recommending I return the oddball bar and buy a whole new hitch for $250. I'm wondering if I can use the different height bar. I'd just have to guesstimate tension to get them equal. Probably not ideal.
I would start from scratch and go with a brand new one...... without question.
Old 08-20-2015, 11:52 PM   #20

I'm waiting for a shipping quote for a whole new hitch from DSP. I need to pay shipping back to them for the oddball spring bar, and then the whole hitch to me. I'm afraid it's going to be really high. If that's the case I see Costco has a whole hitch for $367. I'll update with what direction I go. Thanks for your insight.

Tags
weight