What are your thoughts on a new tow vehicle? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2012, 11:49 AM   #1

Name: Doug
Trailer: Escape 19
Ontario
What are your thoughts on a new tow vehicle?

Right now I'm towing a light-weight tent trailer with a 4 cylinder Rav4. The plan, over the next year, is to acquire a new tow vehicle and a new trailer.

I'm probably going to buy an Escape 19'. That puts me in the 4500lb tow range. But I'm having troubles with the "what tow vehicle?" decision...

Speaking purely economically, it's hard to beat a Ford F-150 as a tow vehicle. Quite cheap to purchase if you can take advantage of the various incentives that come along through the year. And pretty decent fuel economy, too. But, of course, there are other considerations. I don't really *like* large trucks...

My commute isn't too bad -- 60km a week total, and not a lot of it on city roads. So while the tow vehicle will be used for other things, driving a truck for the other things won't be too onerous.

And, while I don't like big trucks, I'm pretty confident I'll get used to whatever I buy. I grew up driving my Dad's trucks, though they were generally smaller (like the F-100 class). Nobody seems to manufacture this sized truck any more. The smaller trucks like the Ranger, the Canyon or the Tacoma either can't pull 5000lb, or when equipped to do so are both more expensive and have worse fuel economy than the base model F-150. Kind of hard to justify spending more money on a less capable vehicle, even if the less capable vehicle has a bit more appeal.

On a completely different tack, there's the mid-sized SUVs. The Toyota Highlander is a contender. More expensive up front than the F-150, but better fuel economy. And more comfortable, I expect. But the F-150 is unquestionably a more capable tow vehicle.

Again, buying a Highlander would be spending more money for a less capable vehicle. And when it comes right down to it, I'm a bit of a cheap bastard... I can't see spending stupid amounts of money on a vehicle that will start rusting the day I drive it off the lot.

So I'm torn...

Those of you who have recently purchased a new tow vehicle: why did you buy what you did? Any regrets?

For those who have experience with recent F-150s: has it been a good experience?

Thanks for the information...

Doug
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:50 AM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I just got a Toyota FJ cruiser to pull my Escape 19', works like a charm!! I also believe the Escape 19' is rated 4000 lbs.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...cle-54803.html
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:01 PM   #3

Ontario
Jim,

I had seen your FJ post, thanks. If I can paraphrase it: you like the engine that comes with the FJ, and it has better suspension for towing. In general, it's a more capable tow vehicle than your older Jeep.

But it leaves me with the question: *why* did you go with an FJ over other alternatives? No doubt it's a capable vehicle. But it's about $12K more than an F-150. What makes it worth $12K more to you?
Old 10-06-2012, 12:38 PM   #4

Pennsylvania
Registry
I already have a Dodge Ram 1500 with a Hemi engine, I get 12-14 mpg towing or not. The 2011 Jeep had the old style v-6 not the newer Pentastar motor model which are being installed in the Wrangler, which I would have kept if it was in the Liberty. But it only had 210 hp and was a lead sled. The Toyota motor is the same used in Tacoma and Forerunner but like I said, I already have a truck. But the FJ has the "Cool" factor going, like the Jeep Wrangler.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:35 PM   #5

Ontario
So you're saying it's not *all* about economy? 'course I know that, or I wouldn't have to ask the question. What it's about is different for different people. I'm curious what it's about for others...
Old 10-06-2012, 02:29 PM   #6

Pennsylvania
Registry
It is also about comfort level. Will there be other passengers, I travel with a significant other, our 2 children ( Franklin and Hershey) and sometimes a third person. Which vehicle will handle the trailer best, regardless of cost and which will bring you the most enjoyment, towing or not.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:20 PM   #7

Name: Robert
Trailer: 1985 scamp 13ft
Oregon
I would take a hard look at the f-150 with the eco boost 6 cyl. It will get great gas milage and pull about anything you want
Robert Detrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:38 PM   #8

Ontario
Pulling-wise the eco-boost engine is overkill for a 4500lb trailer. It doesn't improve fuel economy over the regular v6 and costs extra. So if I'm set on an escape 19', I'm not sure the eco-boost is the right choice for me. It makes sense if I want to be able to pull a larger trailer, though.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:59 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
I had many of the same thoughts last year when I purchased a new tow vehicle. The full sized truck wasn't my first choice, but the deals at the time made it no more expensive than a smaller truck. Add to this the smaller truck, (Tacoma, in my case), only came with a five speed automatic, a much lower tow rating, and I would need a full crew-cab for somewhat comfortable rear seats to equal the rear seats in the Tundra extended cab. Also, the small V-8 in the full-sized truck gets just about the same MPG as the V-6 in the smaller unit - possibly a function of the five-speed and older, less efficient engine design in the Tacoma.

I know that the newer smaller trucks are, no doubt, more comfortable than the 2003 Chevy S-10 that I was moving up from, but once I sat in the full-sized truck I never looked back. The same 14 hour trip that used to beat me up in the little S-10 I now take with a great deal more comfort. I will admit that I still don't enjoy driving down narrow streets or into cramped parking lots with the big truck, and, a year later, I still feel like I'm getting used to it.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:40 PM   #10

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I bought a 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Quad Cab with the 5.7 Liter Hemi as my tow vehicle . I had no preference between Chevy Ford or Dodge and the reviews of all three were pretty good . I chose Dodge because after 2 months of shopping and bargaining with dealers in my area , the Ram was about
$ 2500 less expensive with basically the same equipment package as the other two. The truck was to be my vehicle and for towing our trailer. My wife has a 2010 Pontiac G6 which gets very good mileage compared to the truck but after she rode in and drove the truck her G6 sits in the driveway a lot. She finds the truck rides better, has lots of front seat room, plenty of room for groceries and grandkids and she feels safer when driving . We are retired so we do not have to commute to work so both vehicles are for pleasure. My last company "work" truck was a Chevy one ton with the 350 V8 and got 10 MPG on a good day and 6 MPG on a bad so the MPG with the Dodge Ram seems great
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:42 PM   #11

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
My wife has a 2010 Pontiac G6 which gets very good mileage compared to the truck but after she rode in and drove the truck her G6 sits in the driveway a lot. She finds the truck rides better, has lots of front seat room, plenty of room for groceries and grandkids and she feels safer when driving . We are retired so we do not have to commute to work so both vehicles are for pleasure.
We are in almost the exact same situation, retired and the truck was going to be mainly for towing and hauling. Our 2010 Chevy Malibu, (which shares the same platform with your Pontiac G6), was going to be our day-in, day-out vehicle. But like your wife, mine prefers riding in the truck. I almost have to insist on taking the Malibu places, even though it's top of the line and has many more convenience features and the truck is a basic model.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:19 AM   #12

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Multiple Vehicles??

When we retired we went from three vehicles to a single vehicle, our tow vehicle. Even when we're home for 5 months some summers, a single vehicle has been more than adequate. Actually it's mostly sits in the driveway when home.

We have been on the road for 11 years, averaging 7 months a year and costs are important, particularly with rising fuel and food prices. Having only a single vehicle is a substantial savings to our budget. A single vehicle over this period versus two pays for a year or two of RVing.

As well our tow vehicle is now 8 years old, keeping vehicles for longer terms is another way to save.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:50 AM   #13

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Former Escape 19 owner
Virginia
Registry
My TV is a 2011 Ford F150 Supercrew 4X4 (5.7 V8). I use it both to tow my Snoozy and as a commuter vehicle. My commute is only 3 miles each way so I'm not totally insane. I fill up about every 6 weeks or so.

It tows beautifully (probably an overkill) gets about 15.5 mph when towing (highway and 2 lane roads) and is perfect for all those weekend trips to Lowes, etc. I went with the supercab so I can transport my parents, their dog, and my 2 cats as well as all my Mom's luggage on trips to my brother's house, etc. I absolutely adore this truck!

Parking can be a challenge at times but I've learned to be patient. I also park at the far end of the parking lots and walk.

The truck is really comfortable and rides beautifully. The only changes I would make is to add a factory install rear view camera system and captain's chairs for the driver/front passenger. I'm short and my arms don't rest comfortably on the armrest or console as the seat is wide.
ColoRockiesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:18 AM   #14

Name: Robert
Trailer: 1985 scamp 13ft
Oregon
I have been a ford tech. for 30 years and have seen lots of changes. The manual trans. is gone because the new automatics are more efficient. Ford has dropped the ranger because the F-150 can get better milage and from what I have seen is very dependable.Made in USA
Robert Detrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:36 AM   #15

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoRockiesFan View Post
My TV is a 2011 Ford F150 Supercrew 4X4 (5.7 V8). I use it both to tow my Snoozy and as a commuter vehicle. My commute is only 3 miles each way so I'm not totally insane. I fill up about every 6 weeks or so.

It tows beautifully (probably an overkill) gets about 15.5 mph when towing (highway and 2 lane roads) and is perfect for all those weekend trips to Lowes, etc. I went with the supercab so I can transport my parents, their dog, and my 2 cats as well as all my Mom's luggage on trips to my brother's house, etc. I absolutely adore this truck!

Parking can be a challenge at times but I've learned to be patient. I also park at the far end of the parking lots and walk.

The truck is really comfortable and rides beautifully. The only changes I would make is to add a factory install rear view camera system and captain's chairs for the driver/front passenger. I'm short and my arms don't rest comfortably on the armrest or console as the seat is wide.
From what I've read on the E-mails I got from Chrysler, their 2014 model trucks will have the rear view camera as standard equipment as part of their backup safety equipment . I wish I also would have purchased the camera on my 2011. I know some will argue that this is another government intrusion in our lives but I have 9 grandchildren and I can see the value of having the camera
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:38 AM   #16

Pennsylvania
Registry
The new 2012 FJ cruiser has the backup camera, great for solo hookups.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:28 AM   #17

Ontario
I'm not a gadget guy, so I won't tend to buy things like rear view cameras just to make my life easier. Which is odd given that I work in high tech, but that's the way it is. I'd rather crank my windows down by hand than deal with power windows that are one more thing to break when the vehicle is 10 years old.

I don't think I need to worry about my wife stealing my truck for her daily use -- unlike my 60km/week commute, she commutes 80km/day -- I think the fuel cost would kill her.

I think what I need to do is get a little more experience with a big truck. Try to see what it is all you "truck guys" like about your vehicles.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:20 AM   #18

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'm not a guy... but I own a Ford F-150 and love it! It's my daily commuter and the fuel mileage for that stinks. Which is really different than towing. I don't understand how homeowners can get along without a truck. I haul everything from manure (in bags) to gravel, rocks, lumber, etc. that would totally mess up a van, sedan or SUV. I like hosing out the bed of the truck! I don't want a utility trailer or need to rent a truck either. Tow vehicles are like the molded trailer. It's what YOU want or need.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:23 AM   #19

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
We tow our Egg Camper with a Chevy 1500 with the small V8. Does a good job as I'd expect an F150 to do. It's very comfortable, can tow the Egg C. in overdrive and towing mpg varies from 13 point something to 17 point something depending on wind, traffic, hills, speed, etc. Non-towing highway mileage runs from 18 point something to 21 point something depending on the above variables. Have no idea what city mpg might be. Besides, we really like the bed space (covered) for hauling our camping "stuff".
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:48 AM   #20

Ontario
I always have problems converting litres per 100km to miles per US gallon... For reference, the ford.ca website quotes the F-150 with ecoboost engine as 12.9l/100km city, or 9.0l/100km highway. That converts to 18mpg city, 26mpg highway.

Is anybody here driving a recent F150? ("Recent" meaning 2011 or 2012). I realize the fuel economy numbers on the website are rather fictional. I'd be curious to know what sort of real life fuel economy anybody with a recent F-150 gets, for comparison to the published ratings.