What do you tow & with and fuel mileage - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2019, 07:33 PM   #1

Name: Sammy Joe
Trailer: Planning stage
Florida
What do you tow & with and fuel mileage

I think it would help answer a lot of options we might have. Posting the different size trailers and vehicles and the fuel mileage will be more accurate numbers as we just post the numbers you have.It will help people looking for a economical rig they have a lot of good facts and figures to compare. I know we are planing to start RVing in 12-18 months after she retires and are looking for a RV- Truck combo to fit our wants and needs.
Thanks
Sammy Joe
Sammy Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 07:47 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
What do you tow & with and fuel mileage

Welcome, Sammy Joe!

You'll be happy to know we already have a thread that has been collecting that information for several years (along with some other helpful data). The first post has a link to a spreadsheet you may find more convenient than reading through all the posts.

Tow Vehicle & Trailer Combos

You didn't ask, but another helpful database collects actual loaded weights and tongue weights of various makes and models. This one has a spreadsheet linked, somewhat less conveniently, in post #297.

Trailer Weights in the Real World

Happy researching!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 07:54 PM   #3

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Great minds think alike.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 02:47 PM   #4

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Those are great sites to look at. Not all trailers are in the original trailer weights in the real world--we have an Amerigo SG-16, empty weight right at 1997, packed for nearly a month, 2800. Tongue weight under 300 at full pack. Closer to 200 empty...having the door wide open ups that by #20, believe it or not.

We have no propane, but two deep cell marine batteries on the metal tongue next to the trailer. We try to pack front-heavy.

We tow with a 2013 Dodge Grand Caravan, 3600 max tow weight, 360 max tongue weight. No weight distribution. Nothing hanging off the back end. No awning on the trailer, but we usually have a pop-up rain canopy, either one of the 8' or the 10'; sometimes (rarely) all 3 in the car.

As we've added cutesies (mostly metal souvenier pictures) the weight has crept up a little so we have to watch it. We have an electric ice box 12v/110V we carry in the car when driving and move to Peanut when camped. (Insulin etc.). Inside Peanut is a small ceramic heater (110/120) and a small microwave (also 110/120).

We use a port-a-potty and have two "twin" permanent beds, 7" thick IKEA foam cut down and held up by a metal futon frame, half for each bed.

We try to keep it light.

Paul says the car handles better with Peanut in tow, less bouncy, more stable, and we don't feel those usual trailer jerks we used to get with our old Aloha trailer.

Mileage with van normally: about 29mpg. With Peanut in tow, about 26mpg. Peanut rolls really well, is well-balanced as we can make it with our packing, and just seems to glide, even uphills.

Knock wood and all that!

Kathleen/Kai in Seattle/"K"
Old 05-08-2019, 03:04 PM   #5

Arizona
Registry
Kai, have you posted your info on those two threads so it can be added to the databases?
Old 05-08-2019, 03:24 PM   #6

Registry
Jon in AZ: yes, but. Orignally we weren't at the gatherings, and the gatherer didn't weigh us personally and as far as I know we aren't in the databases yet. The Trailer Weights official area has a definite ending (without amerigos) and then there are many pages of new trailers and info people have added but that are not "official." I was sorry we missed the chance to be weighed (and maybe found wanting!).

Old 05-08-2019, 04:09 PM   #7

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
Jon in AZ: yes, but. Orignally we weren't at the gatherings, and the gatherer didn't weigh us personally and as far as I know we aren't in the databases yet. The Trailer Weights official area has a definite ending (without amerigos) and then there are many pages of new trailers and info people have added but that are not "official." I was sorry we missed the chance to be weighed (and maybe found wanting!).

Yes, the "official" weighings ended with the retirement of Frederick Simpson. But as far as I know Jon Vermilye is still updating the spreadsheet with user reported data. I believe you can add the information to the public thread or e-mail Jon directly at the address in the spreadsheet.

There is less consistency in self-reported data, of course, but it's better than no data. Let's get your Amerigo in there!

I think Mike Magee is also still maintaining the "Combos" database as users post in the thread.
Old 05-08-2019, 04:16 PM   #8

Registry
Hi, Jon, I'm so glad someone is carrying on with this! I did send it to "the new guy" a while back, and got a reply it would be incorporated when it got there, but hadn't seen it and I'm not sure why my data would be particularly reliable except the empty weight we were certified for with the State of Washington official scale weight for a permanent license. Had to be under 2,000 lbs and squeaked by with 3 pounds to go. We did leave the curtains in. I think we also left the mattresses in, too. Absolutely stripped for bare camping.

Thanks!

"K"
Old 05-08-2019, 04:50 PM   #9

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
Hi, Jon, I'm so glad someone is carrying on with this! I did send it to "the new guy" a while back, and got a reply it would be incorporated when it got there, but hadn't seen it and I'm not sure why my data would be particularly reliable except the empty weight we were certified for with the State of Washington official scale weight for a permanent license. Had to be under 2,000 lbs and squeaked by with 3 pounds to go. We did leave the curtains in. I think we also left the mattresses in, too. Absolutely stripped for bare camping.

Thanks!

"K"
I would report the full loaded weights you mentioned, since that's the purpose of the spreadsheet: 2800# and 300#.
Old 05-08-2019, 05:01 PM   #10

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We tow our 17 ft and 21 ft trailers with a pickup truck
Mileage varies and is unknown
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 09:01 PM   #11

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy Joe View Post
I think it would help answer a lot of options we might have. Posting the different size trailers and vehicles and the fuel mileage will be more accurate numbers as we just post the numbers you have.It will help people looking for a economical rig they have a lot of good facts and figures to compare. I know we are planing to start RVing in 12-18 months after she retires and are looking for a RV- Truck combo to fit our wants and needs.
Thanks
Sammy Joe
We tow a 17' Casita fully loaded with water and hot water tank along with all our clothes, dishes, etc. It has the front bath, A/C on roof, microwave, etc. We tow it with a 2013 GMC Yukon XL with a 6.0 liter engine and usually with a lot of stuff in it including a full ice chest on long trips. It has the 3rd row seating adding to the weight. We get 15-16 mpg on the average. We do a lot of mountain travel in Colorado. Going over mountain passes we get about 12-13 mpg so on the flats we get much more.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 06:29 PM   #12

Registry
The 2800/under 300 weights were for last year's trip of 28 days, and we don't usually go that loaded. Each of those weights are not for different rigs, some of them are from different events, so they don't come out exactly the same loaded weight each time. I do figure a few hundred under 3000 for the Amerigo, never anything like the 1400 advertised in the original brochures. That's absurd. The thing has an inner hull of ply!

"K"
Old 05-09-2019, 08:07 PM   #13

Name: Sammy Joe
Trailer: Planning stage
Florida
Thank you all

The information is really great and it shows. Everyone willing to help. I was surprised at some of the results and it will help make better decisions on different tow vehicles.
Sammy Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 10:15 AM   #14

Name: Chris
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Wisconsin
2019 Subaru (small engine) with 13’ Scamp that’s nearly bare bones at 1600lbs.
I get about 19mpg around 70mph. I go slower up hills, basically drive like a small semi.
Kikketer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 12:26 PM   #15

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
Here is the reality of a fuel mileage comparison when driving/trailering 10,000 miles/year getting 10 MPG versus 20 MPG with a fuel cost of $3.00/gallon.

10 MPG uses 1,000 gallons of fuel to go 10,000 miles @ $3.00/gallon gives an annual fuel cost of $3,000/year OR $250.00/month.

20 MPG uses 500 gallons for fuel to go 10,000 miles @ $3.00 gallon gives an annual fuel cost of $1500/year or $125.00/month.

That's a DIFFERENCE of only $1,500/year OR $125.00/month when going from 10 MPG to 20 MPG for 10,000 miles of driving/towing in 1 year. DOUBLING THE FUEL MILEAGE only saved you $1,500/year. I know of NOTHING tow vehicle wise that will get 20 MPG towing any kind of fiberglass RV trailer therefore your fuel savings per year will in reality be LESS!

Guys and Gals the above math is based upon driving/towing 10,000 miles a year with very few if ANY OF YOU towing a trailer that many miles per year. I suggest that IF that less than $1,500/year difference in fuel cost between 10 MPG and 20 MPG is that BIG A DEAL in your life you have far bigger issues that need your immediate attention more so than HOW MUCH FUEL MONEY CAN I SAVE with a different tow vehicle.

I know it's going to cost you a HELL OF A LOT MORE than $1,500 or LESS to trade tow vehicles just to get better fuel economy and lessen that pain at the pump!!!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 12:30 PM   #16

Name: Chris
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Wisconsin
Indeed it doesn’t make a massive difference. For me it was more around the non-towing times. I don’t need to drive a 12mpg vehicle when I’m towing nothing and just hauling myself. A good “properly sized” vehicle to camper ratio is always good.
Kikketer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 12:37 PM   #17

Name: David
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 13 S1 BB
IL
I tow a 13' scamp with all the options except for bathroom and awning. We load it up pretty well and usually have the water tank full and carry 30 lb clam shelter in the scamp. Car is a Lexus nx200t, 2 liter 4 cylinder turbo engine, we averaged 19mpg on a 5,000 mile trip from the Midwest to the Four Corners area and back. The car gets about 30mpg without the camper on the highway, win win for us since most of the time is spent not towing.
Gompka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 01:07 PM   #18

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2019 Casita SD, former HiLo and Sunline
Florida
Honda Odyssey towing a Casita Spirit Deluxe

My wife and I tow a 17’ Casita SD w/ awning, A/C and microwave. Our tow vehicle is a 2015 Honda Odyssey w/ Anderson hitch and rear air bags. We remove the second row of seats to lighten up. Level highway driving, without the Casita, and at a steady 65 mph, we get up to 28 miles per gallon (regular, 10 percent ethanol). Towing our Casita, loaded for a week’s camping, and with 6 gals of water and one full 20 gal propane tank, we get a righteous 14 miles per gallon, again at a steady highway speed of 65 mph on level roadways. Wish we could get more!
Dave40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 01:49 PM   #19

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
2003 Celica tows 2008 Scamp 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
I know of NOTHING tow vehicle wise that will get 20 MPG towing any kind of fiberglass RV trailer therefore your fuel savings per year will in reality be LESS!
My 2003 Toyota Celica GT + Scamp 13 has been an excellent combination for the past 10 years, averaging 25 mpg even with mountain driving.
For details, see my post at: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...nfo-68330.html
Bill Finch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 02:02 PM   #20

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
It is interesting to see those $ differences. For me it also comes down more to being stuck with the tow vehicle when I'm not towing. Personally I don't want a full size truck, even though it would suffer less wear & tear than my small truck and get the same or better gas mileage. But I can only be so stubborn...We'll see what happens when it's time for a new truck.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote