What hitch for 16' Casita or Scamp? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2019, 08:44 AM   #1

Name: Lisle
Trailer: 2018 Casita Spirit Deiuxe
Massachusetts
Registry
What hitch for 16' Casita or Scamp?

Just got a Highlander Hybrid as my tow vehicle. Need to get a hitch put on it so I can bring home my camper when I find it. Planning to buy a 16' Casita or Scamp hopefully 2010 or newer but may be as old as 2001. What do I need to know to get the right hitch at UHaul? And thanks for all your collective wisdom!
Lisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 10:57 AM   #2

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Just a standard 2" ball hitch.
But be aware you'll also need a 7 pin electrical connector and a brake controller as well.
Good luck on your trailer hunt.

Walt
Old 04-17-2019, 11:49 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
What hitch for 16' Casita or Scamp?

A Class II (3500#) hitch with a 2" receiver would be a minimum, but a Class III (5000#) is better if available. Those are just hitch ratings, of course, and they don't change the tow rating of your vehicle.

One difference among hitches is how well they fit the rear of the vehicle. Some tuck neatly behind the fascia; others hang down below. e-trailer.com is a good place to shop for a hitch, even if you end up ordering through U-Haul. They have a large collection of photos of various hitches installed on different vehicles to evaluate fit.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 12:03 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I think "hitch" should be properly described as "hitch receiver" ( the part bolted to the vehicle ).
Old 04-17-2019, 12:15 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Get a Toyota hitch if you can manage the price. It fits much better than the aftermarket hitches, puts the hitch ball closer to the rear bumper. And doesn't stick out much when the ball mount is removed.

Otherwise, a DrawTite, or other brand will work. Go to a shop that will install it, as well as the brake controller and 7 pin connector.
I think the Scamp hitch height is about 18" … but check to be sure. That will determine which ball mount you need.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 12:51 PM   #6

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Just to point out, at least for Scamps, the older trailers used a 1 7/8 inch ball. An easy thing to change out, or wait until you find the trailer and then get the proper ball. Also, on the 13 foot Scamps, not all have brakes. My 1999 with no brakes used a 6 pin connector. If you get a 7 pin (all the newer trailers use this) then you may have to get an adapter.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 01:00 PM   #7

SW Virginia
Interesting. My 1995 13' Casita was also sans brakes but still had a 7 pin connector.

Walt
Old 04-17-2019, 01:07 PM   #8

Arizona
Registry
I would certainly get the full 7-pin wiring. If you buy a trailer without brakes, it's something you'll probably want to upgrade sooner than later. Refer to your Highlander manual for brake requirements, but I'm guessing any trailer over 1000# should have them.

I'm also reminded we're talking about 16' models. I don't know about Casita, but brakes have been standard on Scamp 16's for a long time.
Old 04-17-2019, 01:14 PM   #9

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I think "hitch" should be properly described as "hitch receiver" ( the part bolted to the vehicle ).
"Hitch" refers generically to the whole system: receiver, ball mount, ball, weight distribution if applicable. But yes, in this context, we're talking about purchasing and installing the receiver.

As Lyle correctly observes, it would be better to wait to buy the ball and ball mount until you have the trailer, since the size of the ball and the amount of rise or drop on the ball mount varies from trailer to trailer.
Old 04-17-2019, 01:14 PM   #10

SW Virginia
Jon again beat me to it, but I would not buy a trailer without brakes again unless it was with the intent to get brakes on it right away. And it would almost surely be an older trailer so I would get a new axle with brakes, not try to add the brakes on an old, worn axle.

Walt
Old 04-17-2019, 03:29 PM   #11

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
Get a Toyota hitch if you can manage the price. It fits much better than the aftermarket hitches, puts the hitch ball closer to the rear bumper. And doesn't stick out much when the ball mount is removed.

Otherwise, a DrawTite, or other brand will work. Go to a shop that will install it, as well as the brake controller and 7 pin connector.
I think the Scamp hitch height is about 18" … but check to be sure. That will determine which ball mount you need.
Get the best 2" receiver for your vehicle along with the 7 pin electrical plug and a decent brake controller. Get a simple Tekonsha controller. We got a fancy one and it is hard to program. The dealer said it was the best but it is rated for up to 3 axles and a lot more weight than we'd ever tow. Then when you find your trailer get the ball mount and ball. Just remember when you hook the trailer to the vehicle it will drop about 1 1/2-2 inches. Casita's need the ball to be at a height of 19 1/2 inches to start with when it is in the receiver for 14" tires. Tire size may change the height of the ball as well. You want the trailer to sit as level as possible for best handling and for the fridge to work properly.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 07:05 PM   #12

Name: Lisle
Trailer: 2018 Casita Spirit Deiuxe
Massachusetts
Registry
Hitch height

So I just searched for manufacturer recommendations for Casita 16' ball height, which is 17". Scamp 16' ball height is 21". Quite a difference! I guess I can get the electrical wiring now, but will have to wait on the ball. Important to know.
Lisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 07:19 PM   #13

Hitch ball can be purchased anywhere for under $15.
Old 04-17-2019, 07:50 PM   #14

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisle View Post
So I just searched for manufacturer recommendations for Casita 16' ball height, which is 17". Scamp 16' ball height is 21". Quite a difference! I guess I can get the electrical wiring now, but will have to wait on the ball. Important to know.
Lisle, there is no exact/across the board height for level, too many variables come into play. Depending on your tug, you may end up having to use a drop/rise receiver, possibly a ball with a taller shoulder to get your TT at the sweet spot. Fine tune it at home after you've got it loaded for camping the first time. When I went to pick up my SD, I took 3 different stingers with me so I would be close to level for the trip.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 10:45 AM   #15

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
A 17' Casita with 14" tires uses a 19 1/2" height for the top of the ball. The 17' with 15" tires requires a 22" height. This allows for some drop of the rear of the vehicle. The 16' new Casitas use the same height. Maybe old ones were different. But 17" is very low. I just looked this up and multiple people said the same thing.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 02:11 PM   #16

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
Quote:
Just got a Highlander Hybrid as my tow vehicle. Need to get a hitch put on it so I can bring home my camper when I find it. Planning to buy a 16' Casita or Scamp hopefully 2010 or newer but may be as old as 2001. What do I need to know to get the right hitch at UHaul? And thanks for all your collective wisdom!

Start by going somewhere besides U haul. High prices for not su good stuff.
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 02:20 PM   #17

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerspook View Post
Start by going somewhere besides U haul. High prices for not su good stuff.
Try for a genuine Toyota Hitch. It fits into the rear bumper, and doesn't stick out much when the ball mount is out.
Otherwise, a Curtis, or Draw-Tite hitch is good. They will sit lower, and may need a rising ball mount.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 03:21 PM   #18

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
Try for a genuine Toyota Hitch. It fits into the rear bumper, and doesn't stick out much when the ball mount is out.
Otherwise, a Curtis, or Draw-Tite hitch is good. They will sit lower, and may need a rising ball mount.

Sounds like good choices. Just never have been happy with u-haul :-(
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 05:25 PM   #19

Arizona
Registry
U-Haul dealers are independent franchises, so it’s hard to generalize. For years I had good service at my local U-Haul. Now a new owner has taken over the franchise, and I haven’t tried them out.
Old 04-24-2019, 05:46 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
U-Haul dealers are independent franchises, so it’s hard to generalize. For years I had good service at my local U-Haul. Now a new owner has taken over the franchise, and I haven’t tried them out.

True, but U-Haul is primarily in the truck and trailer rental business. I've not used them ( I used a hitch shop ), but my buddy has had to return for U-Haul installations to be corrected ( twice ).

Tags
casita, scamp