What kind of tires? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2003, 04:33 PM   #21

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
tire story

While on a trip to Alaska, I blew out a tire somewhere in the Yukon territory. Arriving in Anchorage, I went looking for a replacement and found a good used tire at a garage sale for $5. I was unemployed, very little money. Mounted it myself with make shift tire irons, aired it up, and away we went.

So while STs are the 'proper' tire design for a trailer, sometimes whatever ya got is OK, so long as it works?! :)

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 11:26 AM   #22

I believe ST stands for Special Trailer, P stands for Passenger and LT stands for Light Truck. ST and LT have stiffer sidewalls than P (which you can see if you look at some tire profiles under load at a boat ramp or campground).

Pete and Rats

Old 05-27-2003, 05:39 PM   #23

Tires Etc.

:red
I was just thinking (that could be dangerous) but, what do you folks use for a jack in case of a flat or blow out in the middle of nowhere?
For obvious reasons, we carry towing insurance for instances like changing tires, running out of gas and other things but what if you are far away from a town. I surely do not want to sit on the side of the road for 3-4 hrs waiting for someone to help.
Weird question asking for a simple answer.:shg Thanks

Old 05-27-2003, 07:14 PM   #24

trailer jack

Use the tow vehicles jack.......make sure it'll work before ya leave home!

I can't imagine needing roadside service with a little egg trailer. But whatever makes ya comfortable. I figure if ya run out of gas or lock yurself out, well DUH, mabe it's time to stay home?!

But be aware, if you have car trouble, it'll take TWO wreckers to get your rig to a garage (and if you've got AAA coverage, you'll quite probably still pay, depending on the state and the respective 'RV plus policy').....or tell em what the circumstances are, and they'll hopefully have a wrecker that carries the tow vehicle piggyback while towing the Casita.

Old 05-28-2003, 09:18 AM   #25

Tires etc.

Pine Cone:
Don't plan on running out of gas, nor locking my keys in the car, but now a woman changing a tire out in the middle of nowhere, well that's another story!
I felt that we should use the tow vehicle jack but wanted to check for sure. Thanks for the info.
Have a good day!:wave Ruth

Old 05-28-2003, 09:52 AM   #26

AAA loves me!

Pineconedon: "I figure if ya run out of gas or lock yurself out, well DUH, mabe it's time to stay home?! "

Some years I have roadside service through AAA, others I don't. I have noticed a disturbing trend. I am not the kind of person who loses things or misplaces things much. I am usually keenly aware of what I am doing. In 10 years of driving I have locked myself out of the car 5 times.

Twice it happened two times in a week.

However, it ONLY happens when I have AAA. This leads me to believe that having AAA causes keys to stay in the car when the doors lock. Not once have I locked myself out of the car on the years when I don't have roadside service.

Also, ya just never know when your transmission is going to die on the New Jersey turnpike on a hot July day. Free towing is nice! The free maps are nice, too!

One of the funniest things I have ever seen was the look on my 16 year old not-yet-driving sister's face when I locked my keys in the car on the way to the lake. She knew mouthing off would earn her a trip back home, but she WANTED to say something nasty so bad I thought she'd pass out from the effort to supress it!

Old 05-28-2003, 11:37 AM   #27

tire changing

Ruth:

If you've just got all the necessary stuff and 'look' like you're trying to change the tire.......

JR:

I'll admit, I loose keys as much as anybody. Because of this I keep the key shop in business and 'squirrel away' duplicates everywhere.

About gas........at this age I need to stop more often than the car does. :)

But yeah, we belong to AAA. Keeps the wife happy.

Old 05-28-2003, 11:48 AM   #28

Most cars these days have the little scissor-type jacks. Almost all models of these will work under the axle of your camper. It may be awkward to swing the handle, but should be do-able. I use mine that way.

For you women (or less-than-burly men, for that matter), I'd highly recommend getting a 12V impact wrench (as discussed in the 12V Appliances thread). With this, anybody can easily remove even way-overtightened lug bolts/nuts. Yes, women can change tires, too! Some women won't need the impact wrench, but I'll wager that once they try one, they'll want one!

By the way, in another of my former lives, I was a locksmith. I tried to call myself a "residential locksmith", but more people lock themselves out of cars than out of homes. Anyway, anytime you buy a car, your first stop on the way home should be someplace where you can get duplicate keys made. Never leave on a road trip without spare keys. If you travel with someone, they should carry a set. If you travel alone, hide them on the vehicle. If you have a vehicle that uses two keys, hide the door key outside the vehicle, and hide the ignition key inside the vehicle. If you are towing a trailer (as most on this forum are), hide the car keys back on the camper. Thieves are less likely to find them there. And don't miss the possibility of getting mugged -- if you are carrying a spare set on your person, or if your spouse has the spare key, and you get mugged, you will be left without keys. You still want an additional set hidden with the vehicle. Just don't make it too obvious - stay away from gas filler doors and just under the corner of the bumper. You want it to be someplace you can't see without laying flat on your back on the ground. If you find you have to use the key, re-hide it elsewhere, in case someone saw you getting it. There -- now I've given my two cents worth. One final note - don't get paranoid! :o

Old 06-03-2003, 02:44 AM   #29

Using Scissor-Type Jacks on the Axle

Before using the axle to jack up your trailer, please read your owner's manual and/or the axle manufacturer's website data. Casita, for instance, warns specifically against using the axle the jack up the trailer. Dexter axle only warns against using any part of the suspension system for jacking the trailer, but they do say to follow the trailer manufacturer's instructions for jacking the trailer up.

For some things however, I fully subscribe to the philosophy "It is better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it." Translation: I think Paul's advice for backup keys are right on the mark. Especially if you have the new keyfob that remotely locks the vehicle and activates an alarm. I have seen those fobs damaged to the point (or the battery goes bad) where they will not work anymore and, even though you can unlock the vehicle with the key, it is embarrassing to have your alarm blaring in the middle of an occupied campground.

Old 06-04-2003, 12:39 PM   #30

Extra Keys

Paul,

While I wholeheartedly agree with your extra key mantra, and for many years did just those things, there is a new twist with many newer vehicles.

Many cars now are fitted with keys that have some sort of electronic ID device that won't allow the ignition to be used without the "special" key. Unfortunately, these keys are quite expensive. For my Wife's VW Passat (the 4 cylinder version) an extra ignition key is about $90. Same for my new F150 (About $60) as well as my 97 Aurora, again about $60.

I worry less about the key fobs as the doors will open with the keys.

I would like to hide an extra key on the vehicle, but have some problems with risking such an expensive item.

Thoughts from the group?

Dave

Old 06-05-2003, 12:24 PM   #31

If the door will open without requiring the "chip" in the key, just have a standard key made that opens the door, and keep the high-dollar key for the ignition hidden inside the car. There are advantages to these new smart keys, but there are also huge disadvantages. When GM first came out with the VATS system, the initial public response was great - until people tried to get new keys made and discovered what they cost.

By the way, I yet another of my previous lives, I was a hardware store manager. This was at the time that the GM VATS system was introduced. You don't have to go to the dealer and pay $60 for these keys. Any well-equipped hardware store can make them. I bought the VATS system for about $150 at the store, which equipped me to make those keys for customers. The key blanks, by the way, cost $12 at that time, less now. I sold them for $34.95, which was, frankly, an inexcusable mark-up, even considering I had to pay off the $150 initial investment. But, $60 and up is just plain sinful.

That said, they risks to convenience and SAFETY that come from getting locked out, losing your keys, or having them stolen is too great to not have duplicate keys accessible. If they cost $60 or $100, that's just the price you pay for having a fancy-schmancy security system on your car. I don't mean that to be snide, but the reality is that initial purchase isn't the only cost of these options. There is ongoing cost as well.

Old 06-05-2003, 01:26 PM   #32

Lock out

Quote:
Orginally posted by PineConeDon

I can't imagine needing roadside service with a little egg trailer. But whatever makes ya comfortable. I figure if ya run out of gas or lock yurself out, well DUH, mabe it's time to stay home?!
Don

The 13 and 16 foot casitas use a dead bolt to lock the door from the inside. After some use the deadbolt will get very loose. A very rough road or slamming the door will sometimes cause the deadbolt to engage.

We really enjoy our Casita but I guess we will have to get rid of it now DUH. I guess its time to stay home.

Old 06-05-2003, 04:03 PM   #33

Quote:
Orginally posted by Nick

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Quote:
Orginally posted by PineConeDon
We really enjoy our Casita but I guess we will have to get rid of it now DUH. I guess its time to stay home.
[/quote]Yous guys :crazy-ii

if your with your fiberglass wonder, you ARE home. :)

Old 06-05-2003, 07:32 PM   #34

lock out

Hi Nick:

Mabe I said it wrong, didn't mean to sound nasty. What I meant was:

Why 'pay' for roadside service. Mabe I'm cheap?!

What're they gonna do for ya that ya can't do yourself with a bit of care and planning. Hide a spare key, fill the cars gas tank when I empty mine. :)

I've got a 16' Casita with a deadbolt, if it happens to rattle to a locked position, all ya do is unscrew 4 bolts on the door hinge. Is the wrecker driver gonna know to do this?

Happy Campin..:wave

Old 06-05-2003, 09:33 PM   #35

lock out

Don;

You cant be any cheaper than me. Roadside service means fixing it myself along side the highway.

I do know what you were saying.

Just make sure you have a wrench hidden too.:)

Tires Michelin XCA 205/75R 14 8 ply rating

3660 lbs capacity at 50 psi
4560 lbs capacity at 65 psi

Tags
tires