What makes a good tow vehicle? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2022, 12:25 PM   #41

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
Know you tug know what it is capable of above all drive safely! our 13 sure does not need a huge motor or tug for that matter!
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 12:42 PM   #42

Name: John
Trailer: T@B
British Columbia
I think different regions or jurisdictions have different regs on what is allowed. Where we are the regs don’t mention tow rating. That’s between you and your warranty provider. The legalities come down to not exceeding

Tow vehicle GVWR
Tow vehicle axle ratings
Trailer GVWR.
Hitch rating.

That’s pretty much it. There are regulations on wether the trailer requires brakes, brake away devices etc. Driving in a safe and prudent manner, properly loaded etc. But manufacturers tow rating never comes into the legalities. They do recommend to check your owners manual etc. Follow recommendations. Etc.
Travellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 12:46 PM   #43

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
You seem to be able to pick and choose.
Thanks, Glenn- that's the nicest thing you've ever said to me!
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 01:55 PM   #44

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Getting back to the topic of good tow vehicles, I've read that during one period Ford designed elevated alternator output while in Tow/Haul mode. It would continue to charge through the 7 pin even after the "smart" alternator would normally have cut back. IIRC, the article I read indicated the newest vehicles didn't do this. Seems like a good idea but it's the kind of thing manufacturers don't really make public.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 04:57 PM   #45

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
My Carlisle load range D tires are speed rated at 81mph as are many others.
My Nittos are rated to 154MPH.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 11:00 AM   #46

Name: R
Trailer: Escape
Illinois
I think the minimum is: enough TOWING capacity to tow 1.25% of the weight of your loaded camper; enough PAYLOAD capacity to tow 1.25% of your tong weight, gas, driver and passengers, pets, other stuff in or on top of the vehicle. Read the stickers on the driver side door to get these numbers and do not assume that trucks have more capacity.

Every body talks about towing capacity. Do no underestimate payload. The payload limit has to do with suspension, breaking and handling limitations The things that make for a safe uneventful trip. I recommend not planning to the limit .

You should have a 7 pin and a break controller; and mirrors or attachments that extend. Finally a backup camera is not necessary, but I personally find them age appropriate. I really like my spouse,: it is both a marital aid and a safety device when getting into a camp site. I never back up unless I can see my wife. If she is helping back into a campsite and I loose sight of her in the mirrors or camera I stop and do not move until I can see that she is safe.

Good luck.
Little Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 02:26 PM   #47

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
Click image for larger version

Name:	BringingScampHome.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	212.6 KB
ID:	145975
Think the Chevy Colorado is a ideal tow for the Scamp 19. It is rated to tow up to a 7000 lb trailer. Has 8 speed trans, 4wd, differential lock, 6.3 L V6 regular gas. You hardly know it's back there. 65 mph is no problem, and there is still lots of torque for pulling hills!

Wife will actually drive it when towing!! (I tried for s Silverado, but she said it was to big.) When the hitch is properly installed you can do almost a 90 degree turn.

Actually have averaged 17 mpg when there is a tail wind. Normally 16 MPG towing. 22.5 when bob-tailing.
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 03:50 PM   #48

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by parmm View Post
Attachment 145975
Think the Chevy Colorado is a ideal tow for the Scamp 19. It is rated to tow up to a 7000 lb trailer. Has 8 speed trans, 4wd, differential lock, 6.3 L V6 regular gas. You hardly know it's back there. 65 mph is no problem, and there is still lots of torque for pulling hills!

Wife will actually drive it when towing!! (I tried for s Silverado, but she said it was to big.) When the hitch is properly installed you can do almost a 90 degree turn.

Actually have averaged 17 mpg when there is a tail wind. Normally 16 MPG towing. 22.5 when bob-tailing.
I almost totally agree with you. If you had stated that any modern midsized pickup is a perfect match for a Scamp 19, we would be in complete agreement. I chose a Frontier, because the bed rail height was 45”, the lowest of any truck at the time that I purchased.
Old 05-18-2022, 05:01 PM   #49

Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Richie View Post
I think the minimum is: enough TOWING capacity to tow 1.25% of the weight of your loaded camper....
I hope that is a typo... 1.25% of the 4500 lb GWR of my Escape 21 would be a whole 56 lbs of towing capacity.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 05:12 PM   #50

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
I hope that is a typo... 1.25% of the 4500 lb GWR of my Escape 21 would be a whole 56 lbs of towing capacity.
Old 05-19-2022, 05:47 AM   #51

Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:

That really doesn't seem like a very good tow rating to me. I could tow that much with my skateboard, and not even need a WDH! But I'd have to add a brake controller.
Old 05-19-2022, 06:13 AM   #52

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Okay, so 125%. I've usually heard the rule of thumb expressed the other way: tow no more than 80% of rated towing capacity. Depends on whether you're starting with the trailer or the tug.

It's not a bad place to start, especially for someone new to towing. In the end, of course, many variables beyond weight factor into whether a particular vehicle makes a good tow vehicle for a particular trailer and owner.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 08:30 AM   #53

Registry
Most of those "Rules of Thumb" predate J2807.
Now all the confusion has a brand new source!

It seems to me that everybody wants a definitive authority to provide a reliable standard, just so they can claim its all wrong.

Guess we are now only left with research and common sense....
No wait that's what it was before!!
Old 05-20-2022, 07:01 AM   #54

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
Quote:
I retired from hauling gasoline and other petroleum tankers. When they were empty, called them pregnant skate boards, especially on winter roads! Step on the brakes and they went where ever they wanted to go!!!
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 07:29 AM   #55

Trailer: trailer
Having trailered for a long time, I started a powerful RWD car with a Cleveland eight and added cooling and suspension, and moved on thru a long bed 8 cylnder RWD pickup, a locking 2/4 WD big SUV, a big hemi dually, a short bed 8 cylinder pickup, and a couple Mercedes AWDs. Best tow vehicles were the dually and the E-class Mercedes. Dually took a lot of gas. I mention the brand name because that has been the best all around vehicle of the bunch. The gas mileage was the best. The all around use is the best. The AWD has been fantastic in winter driving, and pulling trailer out of mud, fast get away at stop lights, etc. Can't carry all that a pickup can, but we hate climbing in and out of a pickup bed. Those AWDs are different from others we've driven in that the cars switch power to the wheel or wheels that can get traction. Believe it or not, that really works. The cars have turbos, etc, so lots of power when needed. I've driven in snow storms that had all sorts of other vehicles going into ditches. We have bought used because a maintained one has all its records with the dealers. Long lasting vehicles. A friend of my husband turned us on to that brand. Two years ago, we traded off our last mid-range four door 2/4 WD pickup for a used Metris RWD. Love the ability to get at everything in the vehicle without having to climb in and out of a pickup bed. We haven't towed with it yet, tho. Towing limit is 5000 lb. If we could get an AWD version with better seats, we probably would go for that and see how it does. (And, I must say that I am so happy with the invention of camera setups for towing, that is one of the biggest things I'd add to most any vehicle now.)
Diane B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 08:07 AM   #56

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
Having trailered for a long time, I started a powerful RWD car with a Cleveland eight and added cooling and suspension, and moved on thru a long bed 8 cylnder RWD pickup, a locking 2/4 WD big SUV, a big hemi dually, a short bed 8 cylinder pickup, and a couple Mercedes AWDs. Best tow vehicles were the dually and the E-class Mercedes. Dually took a lot of gas. I mention the brand name because that has been the best all around vehicle of the bunch. The gas mileage was the best. The all around use is the best. The AWD has been fantastic in winter driving, and pulling trailer out of mud, fast get away at stop lights, etc. Can't carry all that a pickup can, but we hate climbing in and out of a pickup bed. Those AWDs are different from others we've driven in that the cars switch power to the wheel or wheels that can get traction. Believe it or not, that really works. The cars have turbos, etc, so lots of power when needed. I've driven in snow storms that had all sorts of other vehicles going into ditches. We have bought used because a maintained one has all its records with the dealers. Long lasting vehicles. A friend of my husband turned us on to that brand. Two years ago, we traded off our last mid-range four door 2/4 WD pickup for a used Metris RWD. Love the ability to get at everything in the vehicle without having to climb in and out of a pickup bed. We haven't towed with it yet, tho. Towing limit is 5000 lb. If we could get an AWD version with better seats, we probably would go for that and see how it does. (And, I must say that I am so happy with the invention of camera setups for towing, that is one of the biggest things I'd add to most any vehicle now.)
Totally agree on the AWD SUV or sedan tow experience. We tow a 3400 pound trailer with an AWD SUV. Best tow combo we have had, and we have had a few.

Cheers.
Old 05-23-2022, 05:07 AM   #57

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
We have a 8 cylinder Chevy SUV, which is built on a Silverado platform.

It has a complete tow package.

It has a rear view camera & large screen which is important when hitching up.

It has 4 wheel drive. When you go camping in the wilderness, you have to deal with mud.

It safely tows my previous BF19 & our current 21RB. Which is the most important feature.

It has a roof rack, which allows us to mount a storage box.

We travel with our dogs, and it has room for their crates & training equipment.

It is important that our dogs access the AC & heat when we are underway. This is a shortcoming of a covered truck bed.

It cleans up nicely, and we can take it to upscale restaurants & the symphony.
Old 05-23-2022, 07:55 AM   #58

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
We have a 8 cylinder Chevy SUV, which is built on a Silverado platform.

It has a complete tow package.

It has a rear view camera & large screen which is important when hitching up.

It has 4 wheel drive. When you go camping in the wilderness, you have to deal with mud.

It safely tows my previous BF19 & our current 21RB. Which is the most important feature.

It has a roof rack, which allows us to mount a storage box.

We travel with our dogs, and it has room for their crates & training equipment.

It is important that our dogs access the AC & heat when we are underway. This is a shortcoming of a covered truck bed.

Agreed. The big backup camera screen on ours is nice as well. We painted a white line on the bottom of the ball mount to line up easier.

With ours as soon the the 7 pin connector is connected the SUV switches to Trailer mode. In trailer mode the follow distance when using cruise control is doubled and automatic anti sway software is activated. Works nice.

On edit. I keep calling it an SUV because it seems to compete in that market, but really it’s more like what is called a CUV or crossover utility vehicle. So many new acronyms. .
Old 05-23-2022, 08:10 AM   #59

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Sounds like your Tahoe is puttin' on airs. Does it prefer Italian or a classic American steakhouse? Verdi or Beethoven?

But seriously, I guess that only means it has to fit in an urban parking spot or structure, which would disqualify some oversized trucks.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 09:37 AM   #60

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
We have a 8 cylinder Chevy SUV It cleans up nicely, and we can take it to upscale restaurants & the symphony.
I guess advertising sorta does work.
I think that's the theme of a Ram truck commercial.