what new tire - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2009, 01:40 AM   #1

Trailer: 1994 Lite House
is there a particular good brand of trailer tire for the little strange tires i have on the lite house. size is 20.5 8 - 10. im still confused at the way the sizing is... are they 10 in tall rim and 8 wide??? i've never had these little tires before. eventually when i replace the axle ill go up to a taller more common rim size ( probly 15s with offroad tires for more lift and offroad stability ) but for now the axle is still good. i didn't have time to take measurments but did notice one of the tires was looking weathered and had a strange wear pattern. tire dot date is a little over 2 years but im pretty picky about what holds me to the road so ill replace at least 2 of them. thanks for info
curtis c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:07 AM   #2

Trailer:
Quote:
( probly 15s with offroad tires for more lift and offroad stability )
Bigger tires will [b]reduce stability by raising the trailer - it might well still be perfectly stable, and might ride better than before, but it will be less stable than before.

Andrew
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:50 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
And may decrease highway air drag on the underside by reducing the 'air dam' effect.

I raised a Jayco 16' with a spring-over and larger wheels and didn't notice any change in COG stability, but I sure noticed the drag improvement.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:10 PM   #4

it will be more stable because the axle will be wider. it will only be about 4 in taller if i do it right. bring the tongue up to about 16" at level is the goal. the new tires will be outside of the sides of the mold. similar to how the new Lil Joe's are. more side to side stability for being off camber on crazy off road trails. thats a long way off tho the current axle is still fine. so i can only find two or so trailer tire brands for these little tires. any ideas of what is good?

Old 04-27-2009, 10:22 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Back when I had a pop-up with small rims/tires, I found the cheapest ones were at the warehouse stores -- Cheap enough that it almost wasn't worth fixing a puncture!
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 02:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Back when I had a pop-up with small rims/tires, I found the cheapest ones were at the warehouse stores -- Cheap enough that it almost wasn't worth fixing a puncture!

im finding them for about 50 or 60 in the ply i need. not too sure where the best prices would be but 50 bucks seems pretty cheap to me. the tires on there are decent but they have been in the arizona sun for a few years and i just dont trust them.