What to buy F150 3.5 ecoboost or Colorado/Canyon Duramax - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2017, 07:30 PM   #41

Name: Dick
Trailer: '15 17' LD Casita and '17 Tahoe LT
Texas
Cliff- With the first Duramax (2002), we pulled a 25' Airstream and it was about 5500 lbs.. Piece of cake. The second Duramax was a 2008 and we pulled a 31' bumper pull Carriage and it weighed 10,500 empty. We carried a Yamaha Rhino Side x Side (1200+ lbs) in the bed of both trucks. Still plenty of power. Traded for a 2013 Vette. Still lots of power but never enough. My son's F-150 gets 12 around town and 16 on highway if he keeps his foot out of it. If he was going to do it again, I think he would get the 5.0 V8 F-150. I think he has said that Ford has been having some problems with the Ecos but a little research if probably in order.
dmad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 07:59 PM   #42

Name: Duke & Chris
Trailer: Oliver
Florida
To interject a bit of feminine frivolity, we chose the Ford F150 3.5 V8 over the GMC Sierra because it had air vents in the back seat, for the dogs.
ShallowGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 08:08 PM   #43

Name: Adrian
Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA
Manitoba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Hotchkiss View Post
Just curious, 31' what? And how much did the 31' weigh?
As to poor mileage on the Echoboost, what's poor? I get 15-16 towing an Escape 5.0 TA (with ease) and have gotten 22 highway not towing. Now if you drive with your foot in the turbos all the time, your mileage may vary.
Cliff we tow our 5.0 single with the 2.7 EB and get similar mileage to yours. If you say you already tow you might want to change your trailer from "Waiting for Escape 5.0TA, 2017"

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 08:29 PM   #44

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
Have to agree. After having a SuperCrew for 3 years now, no way I'd lose all that space for a standard cab.
Actually I meant driveway (lack of) space. The F150 the OP considers is just too big for his driveway and garage, he'd get sick of the hassle IMO.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 09:07 PM   #45

Name: Dave
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
100% spot on Mike.

For now we put the brakes on getting a vehicle and will just ride out the rest of the extended warranty on the current vehicle and sell it prior to the expiration of the warranty.

Gives us time to ponder and see what develops over the next year or so.
the_fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 10:38 PM   #46

Name: Dick
Trailer: '15 17' LD Casita and '17 Tahoe LT
Texas
Sort of hijacking your post, but parking a pickup in your driveway reminded me of a few years ago, a neighboring community's Home Owners Assoc. ruled against a homeowner that he could not park his new Lincoln Pickup in the front driveway of his home. He lost his case in court if I recall correctly.
dmad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 11:52 PM   #47

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmad1 View Post
My son's F-150 gets 12 around town and 16 on highway if he keeps his foot out of it. If he was going to do it again, I think he would get the 5.0 V8 F-150. I think he has said that Ford has been having some problems with the Ecos but a little research if probably in order.
Since we're talking anecdotes, here's mine. I have a 2015 F150 SuperCrew with the smallest EcoBoost - the 2.7L. With my Escape 19 at just over 4000 lbs, the towing mpg average is 15.3. Non towing mpg average is 25.5.

And I've had zero issues. Best truck I've ever owned, period. In fact, I'll be turning it in come March for a 2018, also with the 2.7L EcoBoost, but with a 10 speed transmission.

Get what you like - there are lots of good trucks. But nothing beats first hand knowledge and experience.
Old 11-16-2017, 02:17 AM   #48

Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fixer View Post
The f150 we are looking at has a massive tow capacity (imho for a 1/2 ton) But it sure is a tight fit.

Attachment 113777
Attachment 113778
Attachment 113779

And that is as far forward as the truck can go without hanging into the street.
A lot of back and forth going on here about size but I have to ask.....can't you park on the street?
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 07:43 AM   #49

Name: Cliff
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmad1 View Post
Cliff- With the first Duramax (2002), we pulled a 25' Airstream and it was about 5500 lbs.. Piece of cake. The second Duramax was a 2008 and we pulled a 31' bumper pull Carriage and it weighed 10,500 empty. We carried a Yamaha Rhino Side x Side (1200+ lbs) in the bed of both trucks. Still plenty of power. Traded for a 2013 Vette. Still lots of power but never enough. My son's F-150 gets 12 around town and 16 on highway if he keeps his foot out of it. If he was going to do it again, I think he would get the 5.0 V8 F-150. I think he has said that Ford has been having some problems with the Ecos but a little research if probably in order.

At over 10000lbs and 1/2 ton of quad in the back no argument you need a bigger truck than most people on this forum. The original post asked advise for pulling a trailer 1/2 the weight and no mention of hauling a 4 wheeler. As to your sons truck, I can get better mileage towing a 5k trailer than he does empty. A good friend of mine has a 5.0 F150 and the only thing it does better than my 2.7 EB is sound good. This is real world not theory. As to a properly equipped Canyon I'd bet it would get the job done also but I have to go by the specs not experience on that. There are lots of trailers out there that you need BIG trucks to haul, not the ones this forum is about.
Cliff Hotchkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 08:04 AM   #50

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I always read " BIG " truck on this and other FG trailer forums
What is a " BIG" truck ? Why is TRUCK a swear word ?
To me a "BIG" truck is a 53 ft , 18 wheel semi truck.
My buddy once owned a Ford F250 crew cab dually with an 8 ft box. (Purchased from a RR )
His truck was close to being a big truck but did not quite.qualify.

There are many small vehicles that are capable of towing 5000 lbs and most FG trailers but they don't appeal to us.
I accept the fact that some people have an aversion to big , overly large full size trucks , I just wish others would accept my aversion to small , cramped , uncomfortable vehicles that require a trip to the chiropractor everytime you CRAWL out of the vehicle.

My last point is , Who realistically expects to get 30 or 40 MPG'S
towing a 3500 lb trailer up the side of the Rockies ?
It seems that many in their insatiable search for fuel economy are willing to tow with an underrated tow vehicle in hope of reaching Nirvana
SAFETY BE DAMMED !

"NO" , Floyd , I am not saying you need a one ton , diesel , dually ,
truck to pull your 13 ft Scamp DLX !
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 08:09 AM   #51

Name: David
Trailer: 13' Scamp
Wisconsin
Duramax diesel

I have a 2016 GMC Canyon with the diesel and we drove to AK and back last summer, towing Scary Scamp (13').Towing capacity is 7000# and obviously with the little trailer, we didn't even know it was back there. The Canyon is small compared to the other full size trucks but with the 6' bed, storage capacity is very similar. The jake brake can be activated when towing and it reduces speed automatically. This was a great help while negotiating mountain passes where the trans and brake worked together so the brakes were barely needed. Needed an oil change in Calgary on the way back to WI and had a hard time finding a shop that had the filter and the correct oil. I was able to find DEF everywhere. That should get easier as time goes on and more of these engines are on the road. I am 6'5" and can't have the seat all the back as I would have trouble reaching the pedals. Quiet at speeds and very comfortable even driving 12 hour days. I am obviously a big fan of this truck and did tons of research before buying it. Would get another one if/when this one needs replacing.
David Uher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 08:12 AM   #52

Colorado
Borrego Dave

There is no street parking but we do have open parking spaces that are first come first served and that would work if it was my daily driver as I get home at a reasonable time of the day but the wife would be driving this vehicle and most days when she gets home it is late at night and the spots are normally full.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:22 AM   #53

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
...What is a " BIG" truck ?...
A "big" truck in my book is any truck that doesn't fit in a standard garage or parking spot...
Click image for larger version

Name:	Big Truck.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	335.7 KB
ID:	113813
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 08:27 AM   #54

Colorado
Steve Dunham

I am sure the haul truck operators at a coal mine would think a semi was a little truck but that is irrelevant to a discussion about your average everyday person that uses a truck to commute and tow a light fiberglass trailer on an occasional basis.

Trucks are getting larger and larger each year, the tundra has grown to the size of a full size pickup and the Tacoma is now as large as the old tundra, the new f150 is about as large as the old f250 - 350 from the mid 90’s leaving few choices for someone that would like to tow a decent sized load but wants something that is reasonable to drive on a day to day basis.

IMHO reasonable to drive = fitting into one parking spot, fitting into a parking garage and not getting 10 - 12 MPG
Old 11-16-2017, 08:29 AM   #55

Connecticut
Quote:
What is a " BIG" truck ?
To me a "BIG" truck is a 53 ft , 18 wheel semi trucj
My buddy once owned a Ford F250 crew cab dually with an 8 ft box.
His truck was close to being a big truck but not quite.
I guess I should have said a truck with greater capacity. I do have some friends that drive for a living and all agree a dually of anyone's manufacture is a "big" truck.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:32 AM   #56

Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShallowGal View Post
To interject a bit of feminine frivolity, we chose the Ford F150 3.5 V8 over the GMC Sierra because it had air vents in the back seat, for the dogs.
[emoji106]
Old 11-16-2017, 08:42 AM   #57

Connecticut
Quote:
What is a " BIG" truck ? Why is TRUCK a swear word ?
To me a "BIG" truck is a 53 ft , 18 wheel semi truck.
My buddy once owned a Ford F250 crew cab dually with an 8 ft box. (Purchased from a RR )
His truck was close to being a big truck but did not quite.qualify.

There are many small vehicles that are capable of towing 5000 lbs and most FG trailers but they don't appeal to us.
I accept the fact that some people have an aversion to big , overly large full size trucks , I just wish others would accept my aversion to small , cramped , uncomfortable vehicles that require a trip to the chiropractor everytime you CRAWL out of the vehicle.

My last point is , Who realistically expects to get 30 or 40 MPG'S
towing a 3500 lb trailer up the side of the Rockies ?
It seems that many in their insatiable search for fuel economy are willing to tow with an underrated tow vehicle in hope of reaching Nirvana
SAFETY BE DAMMED !

"NO" , Floyd , I am not saying you need a one ton , diesel , dually ,
truck to pull your 13 ft Scamp DLX !
0kaay.....[emoji848]
Old 11-16-2017, 08:52 AM   #58

Colorado
I guess if you get a big enough truck you do not even need to tow your Scamp just load it in the back
Attached Thumbnails
Dunham.jpg  
Old 11-16-2017, 09:08 AM   #59

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry

Quote:
Steve, I believe this is where you are way off base, you have the right to an opinion, but I would bet the vast majority would disagree.

As one who has had a pickup for the last 35 years, and for the last 25 years until this past spring has had a 3/4 or 1 ton diesel for work, I can say without reservation that most any mid-sized SUV is WAY more comfortable, and thus was more than happy to get rid of my last one, a 2012 F-350. They are making most mid-sized SUVs and pickups very roomy now, with all kinds of comfort built in. Granted, even in the 1/2 ton range, comfort has been increasing over the years. Mind you, I am only 6' even, so maybe this is why I have never felt I needed to crawl out of any of these vehicles I have been in, though your average 4 door sedan getting out is not tough, it is the getting in, though comfy once you are seated.

As a side note, my 3.5 EcoBoost has totally exceeded my expectations towing my 4.500 lb dry dump trailer with another 4,500 lb cargo with ease. I know very few here would ever see a trailer this weight though, but I was pleased being a working stiff for at least a few part time years yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fixer View Post
Trucks are getting larger and larger each year, the tundra has grown to the size of a full size pickup and the Tacoma is now as large as the old tundra, the new f150 is about as large as the old f250 - 350.......
You are not far off on this assessment. Another example is the Ford Ranger. The main reason Ford quoted for not bringing it back to North America when it first redeveloped it, was that it was now a lot larger, and it's main competition would be with their own F-150. Thankfully they are seeing the light and bringing it back with both diesel and gas options, though I fear that even though the towing capacity will be fine for my Escape 5.0TA, both the cargo capacity and box length will not be big enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Hotchkiss View Post
[emoji106]
Cliff, do you have the wider rear seat removed here?

--------

In a heartbeat I would be towing my Escape 5.0TA with a truck smaller than my F150 3.5 EcoBoost if I could find one that met all the weight criteria, being tow and cargo capacity. Needed a truck for work still weighs into my consideration too.

If I had a bumper pull trailer, I would not even use a pickup, but rather opt for a nice mid-sized SUV.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:20 AM   #60

Connecticut
Yea, what you said👍
Yes I did remove the larger part of back seat to give my dog more room. He's getting old and needs more room to turn around. Put 3" of foam and outdoor carpet down. With his own heat and AC he is living large

Tags
eco