What to buy F150 3.5 ecoboost or Colorado/Canyon Duramax - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2017, 11:14 AM   #1

Name: Dave
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
What to buy F150 3.5 ecoboost or Colorado/Canyon Duramax

We are looking to buy a truck and have narrowed it down either the f150 3.5 ecoboost or the Canyon / Colorado 2.8 duramax

They are so different but we like each one for different reasons and are torn on what to do.

F150 3.5 ecoboost XLT 10 speed automatic with Max tow package
+ It would be able to tow anything that we imagine we could want to tow and would still be well below capacity of the truck.
+ Rides great and is comfortable
+ The horsepower and torque are great

- It barley fits into our tiny driveway and not 100% sure it will fit lengthwise in our garage
- Lower mileage compared to the Duramax
- $8K more than the Duramax for similar options
- Little worried about the longevity of the ecoboost and cost to maintain down the road as we would like to keep the truck 10+ years

Canyon / Colorado W Duramax
+ fits easily into our drive and Garage (narrower and shorter than the f150)
+ Being a smaller truck I think it will be a nice transition for the wife from her Small SUV
+ Watching the Ike Gauntlet videos it seems to have plenty of power
+ If / when we go to sell it resell value should be better
+ Diesel motors tend to last when taken care of so hopefully the truck would last a long time.

- It is smaller, louder and less comfortable compared to the f150. Not by a bunch but it is noticeable.
- I worry that it will limit our future choices in campers as they just seem to be getting larger and larger each year.
- Being a 4 cyl I worry that it will not have enough power and I do not want to beat on the truck or feel beat-up after towing with it.

For now and for the immediate future I think the truck would be perfect for our lifestyles we currently have a 13' scamp and I doubt we would even know we were towing it. On the other hand I know the F150 would be a dream to pull with.

We have discussed getting a larger camper in the future (maybe ~5) years when we have more time available and can take longer trips. Maybe something like the escape 5.0 TA, scamp 5th wheel or a bumper pull like the escape 19, 21 all of which should be doable with either truck.

Really torn on what to do... any thoughts?
the_fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 11:56 AM   #2

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: the_fixer... For my money the F150 is just too big a truck. Marshmallow comfort aside the Colorado/Canyon diesel needs mega miles put on it for a return on investment. I know your dilemma. I'm there too!!!
"You pays your money, and takes your choose".
My Nissan Frontier is nearing 100,000 miles.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1040198.jpg  
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 12:09 PM   #3

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
We hope to buy a late model 1/2 ton after I retire late next year to haul the Parkliner. Before my '01 F150 ate a spark plug, it towed the Parkliner like there was nothing there, and it only had a tow capacity rating of 5400#s. The Parkliner tows like a dream, no matter what tows it!

Most of these late model 1/2 tons have much larger tow capacities, some up around 10 or 12,000#s (Fords and Chevies, not so much Dodge). When I buy one, I will be looking for something around 10,000# capacity with a tow package, as we may go with a larger trailer a few years down the road as we move into retirement, and I want twice the tow capacity of gross weight allowed, i.e., trailer and all the gear it allows.

I am not a fan of any one brand. They are all expensive to buy and maintain!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 12:19 PM   #4

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
For my money the F150 is just too big a truck.
That's funny Alf. It's just a standard sized (full sized) truck. The one on your photo is an F350 dually, not an F150.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:20 PM   #5

Name: Neto
Virginia
Saw a new Canyon the other day advertised at Costco and I was amazed at how big it is. Appears there are no small or mid sized pickups anymore.

ME, See what Consumer Reports has to say about the vehicles B 4 you make your cinal decision.

Also, Consider if you think you may want to go to a larger camper some day.
Neto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 12:22 PM   #6

Colorado
What to buy F150 3.5 ecoboost or Colorado/Canyon Duramax

The f150 we are looking at has a massive tow capacity (imho for a 1/2 ton) But it sure is a tight fit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2197.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	399.3 KB
ID:	113777

Name:	IMG_2198.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	354.0 KB
ID:	113778

Name:	IMG_2195.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	340.8 KB
ID:	113779

And that is as far forward as the truck can go without hanging into the street.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:36 PM   #7

Arkansas
Registry
If the parking situation at your house means a full sized truck won't fit well, there's not much that can be done for that besides moving. I recommend an F150 highly not based on where it fits, but how it performs. Your situation might require something smaller.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:53 PM   #8

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fixer View Post
The f150 we are looking at has a massive tow capacity (imho for a 1/2 ton) But it sure is a tight fit.

Attachment 113777
Attachment 113778
Attachment 113779

And that is as far forward as the truck can go without hanging into the street.

I have driven multiple canyons, Colorado’s, f150’s and other so I do have a feel for how they compare and that is where I came up with my feeling that the canyon / Colorado was not quite as comfortable
Old 11-14-2017, 12:55 PM   #9

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Sounds like you've already made up your mind...
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:19 PM   #10

Colorado
Far from it, I was ready to put a deposit on the F150 and I am at the Chevy dealer to test drive the Colorado again
Old 11-14-2017, 01:41 PM   #11

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fixer View Post
Far from it, I was ready to put a deposit on the F150 and I am at the Chevy dealer to test drive the Colorado again
Just wait until spring, if the Ranger comes back you can have a right sized vehicle with the power, economy, and dependability of ecoboost .
I'm hoping for a 2.7L or a 2.3L.
Diesel car engines are not inherently more reliable than gasoline engines simply based on the type of fuel used. Of course proper care is important for either. Longevity concerns apply more to body, drive train, and accessories than to engine alone.
The diesel longevity myth came from the longevity of over the road engines which ARE built to last. Ask your dealer if you can order a series "60" Detroit for your Canyon which may result in more chassis maintenance.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 02:49 PM   #12

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
Dave,

For what it may be worth, the Canyon / Colorado twins do not "officially" support using a fifth wheel hitch. At least they did not a couple of months ago when I shopped. Mind you, people do install them, but there are a lot of forum threads where people argue over whether your vehicle warranty might be voided, etc.

I am normally not very risk tolerant, but had decided I might just go ahead and get in touch with my inner bad boy and mount a fifth wheel hitch as I believe the physical capacity is there.

However, this is something that you might want look into and would have to decide for yourself.
I've seen a Honda Ridgeline with a Scamp fiver in tow.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 04:03 PM   #13

Colorado
I did quite a bit of reading on the 5th wheel with the GM as well as the F150 (5’ 5” bed). Neither are listed for the 5th wheel but are being used successfully to tow the Scamp / Escape and much larger with the F150.

Chances are we would be out of warranty at the point in time where we would have a 5th wheel so that would not make a difference.

Tested the Colorado again over lunch and parked it in the driveway and it allows us to get the bikes and trash in and out of the garage so that is a huge plus.

If it were not for the parking situation I would just go for the Ford but for now I think I will just heed Floyd’s advice and ponder things.

We still have 27k miles on the extended warranty so maybe we will just keep what we have for the spring / summer and keep looking.

It would be nice to see the ranger and supposedly they are releasing a diesel for the F150 next spring.
Old 11-14-2017, 05:40 PM   #14

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
We hope to buy a late model 1/2 ton after I retire late next year to haul the Parkliner. Before my '01 F150 ate a spark plug, it towed the Parkliner like there was nothing there, and it only had a tow capacity rating of 5400#s. The Parkliner tows like a dream, no matter what tows it!

Most of these late model 1/2 tons have much larger tow capacities, some up around 10 or 12,000#s (Fords and Chevies, not so much Dodge). When I buy one, I will be looking for something around 10,000# capacity with a tow package, as we may go with a larger trailer a few years down the road as we move into retirement, and I want twice the tow capacity of gross weight allowed, i.e., trailer and all the gear it allows.

I am not a fan of any one brand. They are all expensive to buy and maintain!

Frank
My 2014 Ram 1500 Hemi V8 , 8 speed has a towing capacity of 10,250 lbs.
Many Ram 1500's have a towing capacity of 10,500 lbs
That being said , I believe that the Ford F150 with the 3.5 liter
eco boost and max tow package is a better tow vehicle than either
the Chevy or the Ram .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:04 PM   #15

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Is that the shortest f150 they make? Reg cab short bed? I think the space cramp would irritate you daily to a point where you would rue the choice.

Any other possibilities? Have you looked at the Tacoma? Great reliability.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:24 PM   #16

Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Is that the shortest f150 they make? Reg cab short bed? I think the space cramp would irritate you daily to a point where you would rue the choice.
Have to agree. After having a SuperCrew for 3 years now, no way I'd lose all that space for a standard cab.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:34 PM   #17

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Dave,

You didn't mention which body style you are looking at, but you may be able to get a shorter extended cab instead of the biggest four door model and fit it in your driveway easier.

If reliability is important, be sure you look at the real world reliability of each truck, and specifically for the model year you are considering. For instance: the re-designed 3.5 Eco and the ten speed are new for 2017. Brand new does NOT mean reliable.

Selecting a diesel simply because it gets better mileage is missing some important points: The emission system on modern diesels is MUCH more complicated than on gas engines. Diesels have a torquey character that is very good for towing. They get good mileage. Many diesels have engine brakes and that is a VERY useful item.

Long downgrades can max out the brakes on 1/2 ton trucks. Have you looked at the reported problems with either brand's brake problems?

Larger trucks with a wider a wheelbase tend to be more stable, but trucks are getting bigger and bigger. How much interior room do you need? Do you need a back seat? What size bed do you need for your stuff now, and for your possible future 5th wheel?
Old 11-14-2017, 09:38 PM   #18

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
Have to agree. After having a SuperCrew for 3 years now, no way I'd lose all that space for a standard cab.
The cab size is really up to the individual. I've had standard cab trucks for many years and love them. There is more to it than interior room.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:04 PM   #19

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I agree with rbryan a crew cab is the way to go .
I have the Ram Quad Cab which is OK but it still isn't a crew cab.
As far as I am concerned you can never have enough interior space , leg room , headroom or bed length.
Some people like small trucks but I am not one of them.
If I am going to buy a truck I want a real truck not 3/4's of a truck.
My next truck will be the real deal !!!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:07 PM   #20

Colorado
That is the shortest available other than going to a regular cab but we need a back seat of some sort.

Supercab and super crew are the same overall length.

The Raptor can be had in the supercab with the 5.5 ft bed but it is not really designed for towing although it can do light duty towing.

Tags
eco