What Tow Vehicle Do You Use for What - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2022, 11:26 AM   #1

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 2018 13' Scamp
Minnesota
What Tow Vehicle Do You Use for What

I am curious what tow vehicle people use, (particularly 13' Scamps, since that is what I have, but any similar trailer) and how they like it. I have a 2020 Subaru Outback, with a 2.5 liter 4 cylinder, I am towing a 2020 13' Scamp with a bath, with as little stuff in it as I can persuade my wife to take, and I find it marginally sufficient. That is to say, it will pull it, but mileage suffers greatly (I get around 19-22) and going uphill requires patience. I am thinking about getting something with more power.
The Outback is rated for 2700 pounds, the Scamp is certainly under that, but still not that comfortable with current situation.
What are your experiences?
jeffminnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 03:56 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Scamp 13 layout 1 pulled by 2011 Honda Pilot 3.5L V6 FWD. It averages 23-25 mpg solo and 18-19 mpg towing with four on board. And yes, you know it’s back there going up a hill, but it can maintain 45-50 mph on the steepest grades without maxing out the engine.

I find you often have to choose between running with trucks in the right lane or passenger vehicles in the left lane blasting up the grades at 70 mph. I choose to blend in with the trucks. The steepest grades often have a granny lane for the really slow trucks, in which case I run with the faster trucks in the second lane from the right. When I really have to I can make a brief sprint in the left lane, but I try to avoid that as much as possible.

Here's an old thread that asks more or less the same question.
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...nfo-68330.html
The first post links to a spreadsheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...6oSPkw/pubhtml
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 10:50 AM   #3

Name: Handley
Trailer: Scamp
New York
When we pack to camp, it is a test of just how much the springs can take. If there is volume enough, my wife brings it. There is absolutely no arguing with her.
Handley Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 01:40 PM   #4

Name: You can't call me Al
Trailer: SOLD: 1977 Scamp 13'
Massachusetts
I've towed our 1977 Scamp 13' plain nothing extra camper with:
- 1996 Honda CRV. Towed great. No trailer brakes
- 2005 Volvo V70 station wagon. Towed excellent. No trailer brakes
- 2021 Volvo XC-40. Tows perfectly. With new flexiride axle and trailer brakes/Tekonsha Prodigy RF controller.
AlanKilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 06:47 PM   #5

Name: John
Trailer: T@B
British Columbia
T@B400 pulled by a Tesla model Y. 450 horsepower and about the same torque. Typically 360 wh per kilometer plus or minus 40 depending on conditions. Great combo. Over 15000 kilometres this year.

Old 10-26-2022, 10:42 PM   #6

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
I have a fully optioned 2004 Scamp13D front bath.
I have owned it now for 18 years and have pulled it very comfortably with...
a 2001 Ford Ranger 4.0L 5spd manual
a 2006 then a 2008 Ford Escape 2.3L 5spd manual
I now tow it with either my 2016 Transit Connect 2.5L 6spd auto
or my 2019 Ford Ranger 2.3L EcoBoost 10Spd auto.

All of the above have 4CYL engines, (except the 2001 Ranger). Each has done a fine job.

The best match all around is probably the Transit Connect, due to its excellent aero match and great stability and comfort along with good economy and the fact that it drives almost like an RS Focus without the trailer... it is fun, capable and versatile.

Of course the 2019 Ranger is a great tow vehicle with a tow rating of nearly 4 times my Scamp in a reasonable sized package which provides more power and cargo space than needed and is a very comfortable long distance tow vehicle for those 12hour days towing on the road.

Matching acceleration and and towing speed to the rig is the key to comfort, and economy as well as safety.

I keep the cruising speed between 60 and 65MPH and have always had plenty of reserve for passing when needed. Fuel economy in each of these while towing has been consistently between 18 and 25MPG, depending on terrain and weather conditions.

Lastly it must be said that in smaller combinations, automatic transmissions are generally superior overall, but that is pretty much a moot point nowadays.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 10:35 AM   #7

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
I like big......I tow with a 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi....4x4...tow package....3.92 rear......crew cab.......it's rated to tow 11,600lbs. I do not need any sort of WD or sway bars.....the truck doesn;t know the Casita is back there. With an 8 speed trans and MDS.....I average 20 to 21 mpg when not towing and 16 to 18 mpg when towing. This is pretty darn good for a 395HP engibe. This truck is the best riding vehicle we've ever owned.....it is a pleasure to drive. I don't have any problems on hills...both up and down. I also use the truck to pull a car trailer at times......I've carried loads up to 8000lbs with that trailer.
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 10:59 AM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
I tow an Escape 21 loaded to around 4900 lbs with a 2018 F150 3.5 EcoBoost & tow package. I previously tried to tow it with a 2016 Tacoma with the 3.5L engine & while I managed to do 9000 miles with the combination, I wasn't happy & traded it in for the F150. Towing at 63MPH - 10 - 11MPG with the Tacoma, 12-13 with the F150.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 11:29 AM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrybob View Post
I like big......I tow with a 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi....4x4...tow package....3.92 rear......crew cab.......it's rated to tow 11,600lbs. I do not need any sort of WD or sway bars.....the truck doesn;t know the Casita is back there. With an 8 speed trans and MDS.....I average 20 to 21 mpg when not towing and 16 to 18 mpg when towing. This is pretty darn good for a 395HP engibe. This truck is the best riding vehicle we've ever owned.....it is a pleasure to drive. I don't have any problems on hills...both up and down. I also use the truck to pull a car trailer at times......I've carried loads up to 8000lbs with that trailer.
I carried a CDL from when it was still a Chauffeur's License up until retirement. I too like big trucks! Still a pickup should still be small enough to actually fit into a standard parking spot. Also, learning to rappel should not be a requirement to exit the cab of a pickup, nor should you need a step ladder to access the box.
All that said, the OP has a 13Scamp which was intentionally designed to be towed by ordinary vehicles which actually fit into garages and able to access drive up windows...
Attached Thumbnails
Scamp brochure.jpg  
Old 10-27-2022, 11:55 AM   #10

Name: You can't call me Al
Trailer: SOLD: 1977 Scamp 13'
Massachusetts
Some people love them, some people hate them, but trucks just surpassed cars in number of units sold in the USA!!! (Pew-pew)

I'm not a big fan, but I do understand the people who buy them for their jobs or because they need one for towing giant things.

We don't have so many here in Cambridge, MA as we did in Minneapolis, MN and I think that's because here in MA, we don't build gigantic parking spaces (or even roads where two cars can pass going opposite directions!)

Here are just the top two articles I found talking about the fattenning of American trucks over the years, some of the causes and some of the effects.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...e-to-reconnect

https://www.wsj.com/articles/pickup-...at-11596254412

I am somewhat less sympathetic to people complaining about the slightly higher than (inflation-adjusted) historical average fuel prices when they are driving an 6,7 or 8 liter engine truck around town.

We do get 22-25 MPH when towing our 13' Scamp at 60 MPH with our measly 250 horsepower TWO LITER Volvo XC40 and that's JUST FINE with us.
AlanKilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 04:56 PM   #11

Trailer: T@B
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanKilian View Post
Some people love them, some people hate them, but trucks just surpassed cars in number of units sold in the USA!!! (Pew-pew)

I'm not a big fan, but I do understand the people who buy them for their jobs or because they need one for towing giant things.

We don't have so many here in Cambridge, MA as we did in Minneapolis, MN and I think that's because here in MA, we don't build gigantic parking spaces (or even roads where two cars can pass going opposite directions!)

Here are just the top two articles I found talking about the fattenning of American trucks over the years, some of the causes and some of the effects.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...e-to-reconnect

https://www.wsj.com/articles/pickup-...at-11596254412

I am somewhat less sympathetic to people complaining about the slightly higher than (inflation-adjusted) historical average fuel prices when they are driving an 6,7 or 8 liter engine truck around town.

We do get 22-25 MPH when towing our 13' Scamp at 60 MPH with our measly 250 horsepower TWO LITER Volvo XC40 and that's JUST FINE with us.
Yep on the ever growing size of trucks. Wow. Huge hoods and grills. What I can’t figure out is why the electric half tons are so huge on the front. They have a perfect opportunity to make a more aero dynamic front end and they are ignoring it. I think the the Tesla 1/2 ton is going to go a lot further with a much smaller battery.

Really who knows. Jmho.
Travellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 10:51 AM   #12

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I carried a CDL from when it was still a Chauffeur's License up until retirement. I too like big trucks! Still a pickup should still be small enough to actually fit into a standard parking spot. Also, learning to rappel should not be a requirement to exit the cab of a pickup, nor should you need a step ladder to access the box.
All that said, the OP has a 13Scamp which was intentionally designed to be towed by ordinary vehicles which actually fit into garages and able to access drive up windows...
I park my truck in our garage....fits nicely. With running boards.....getting in and out is easier for me than my 85 Honda civic.....especially with a new knee and hip. My Casita was designed for towing with a much smaller vehicle......I was simply saying my preference.....my Ram is a perfect tow vehicle for us......great riding vehicle.....better than most cars......everyone is different......there are many options out there. Just sayin.......
Old 10-28-2022, 11:32 AM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrybob View Post
I park my truck in our garage....fits nicely. With running boards.....getting in and out is easier for me than my 85 Honda civic.....especially with a new knee and hip. My Casita was designed for towing with a much smaller vehicle......I was simply saying my preference.....my Ram is a perfect tow vehicle for us......great riding vehicle.....better than most cars......everyone is different......there are many options out there. Just sayin.......

Yeah I get it, but really, would you buy an even bigger pickup just for braggin rights?
Where I live, so called fullsized trucks block the aisles in parking lots,commonly taking two spots wide and overhanging into the spots fore and aft... all just to "pickup" a loaf of bread.
We have angle parking in our downtown streets. Traffic often has to switch lanes to drive by parked trucks. This is exasperated when these "fullsized" trucks park on both sides of the street.
These trucks can be great for some commercial applications, but the question remains...
How big is BIG enough?

Would you buy again if they get even BIGGER?

To be fair... even the Ranger is the biggest one yet, I guess just to sell to those former "fullsized" truck buyers.

Fact is that a "fullsized" 1956 pickup is smaller than the first gen Ranger... Go Figger
Old 10-29-2022, 09:40 AM   #14

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Having a smaller trailer definitely allows more options for tow vehicle. I chose a 17' Casita but in retrospect I'd probably have been fine with a 13' or 16'.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 10:25 AM   #15

Trailer: Scamp 16 Deluxe
Colorado
Today's trucks are the size of tanks- literally

https://www.vice.com/en/article/pkbx...-that-won-wwii

"But, these statistics aside, it can be hard to contextualize just how unusual it is for everyday people to be driving such huge vehicles. To many Americans, bigger vehicles almost feel natural, since the trend has been towards larger and larger models every year for the past three decades, even as some new vehicle owners struggle to fit their vehicles in their own garages."
John McMillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 10:41 AM   #16

Trailer: Scamp 16 Deluxe
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM View Post
Having a smaller trailer definitely allows more options for tow vehicle. I chose a 17' Casita but in retrospect I'd probably have been fine with a 13' or 16'.
Conversely, having a smaller yow vehicle limits your trailer options, in a good way.

My question is, if you own, house and feed a vehicle big enough to tow several times a Scamp or casita's weight, why wouldn't you do just that and get a larger, more comfortable trailer?
John McMillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 08:49 PM   #17

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RQ
Ohio
Match the tow to your trailer. We had a 21c Escape , perfect match for a 2004 f150 5.4 2 wheel drive super cab. Plenty of payload and towed quite well.
We have an upcoming Bigfoot 25 RQ, not a small trailer anymore. 6000 lbs plus with a heavy tongue weight. Not enough truck, we bought a 3/4 ton. It’s used to tow period. Our daily drivers are a Prius Prime and a 2016 Camry. The big truck hauls stuff and tows. The Prius prime costs us no gas for 90 % of our routine travels around town. The Camry when we want a little more comfort on the highway. If I had a 13 to 16 foot scamp or casita, I’d buy a Ranger or the new Nissan Frontier class truck.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 02:19 PM   #18

Washington
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Yeah I get it, but really, would you buy an even bigger pickup just for braggin rights?
Where I live, so called fullsized trucks block the aisles in parking lots,commonly taking two spots wide and overhanging into the spots fore and aft... all just to "pickup" a loaf of bread.
We have angle parking in our downtown streets. Traffic often has to switch lanes to drive by parked trucks. This is exasperated when these "fullsized" trucks park on both sides of the street.
These trucks can be great for some commercial applications, but the question remains...
How big is BIG enough?

Would you buy again if they get even BIGGER?

To be fair... even the Ranger is the biggest one yet, I guess just to sell to those former "fullsized" truck buyers.

Fact is that a "fullsized" 1956 pickup is smaller than the first gen Ranger... Go Figger
I'd buy the same truck in a heartbeat if I needed one. BTW....you make it sound like I am driving a monster truck...I am not.....I have 18 inch wheels.....the truck is extremely comfortable.....I never take two parking spots.....I like bread......your town needs to widen it streets if parking is a problem or you could move.....also....took my wife to grocery store yesterday.....there was a guy in a small KIA taking two spots......glad he doesn't drive a truck....probably would have taken the whole block in your town......lastly....Big is in the eyes of the beholder......some people think our dog is Big....he's only 75 lbs and really likes my truck. Have a good day.

Old 10-30-2022, 06:25 PM   #19

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
I know OP was mostly interested in towing a 13' Scamp, but since we've drifted.... I'll agree with jerrybob that a regular size pickup is about ideal for a 17' Casita. I had two F150 crew cabs in a row and had no complaints towing. The tow/haul feature was great, plus the big gas tank. Recently I downsized to one of the new Frontiers. A few reasons but availability was the deciding factor. I've read on the forums of folks happily towing Casiitas with much less capable vehicles. I've only done a couple of short test tows but frankly the jury is still out. I've found I'm going to need those hinky clip on mirrors to see past the trailer. Though well within payload specs, the rear squats and front rises enough that I'm afraid I'll need a WDH, Ugh. The Frontier gets about 6 mpg better than the F150 but what a tiny gas tank. Does have tow/haul, which seems to work fine. Towing aside, it's a really nice little truck. Great fit and finish, comfy seats, lots of power and all the new safety features I wanted to protect the motoring public from an elderly driver. I probably don't have any more "across the US and back" trips in me so it may work out. Just wanted to make the point that adequate can be far from ideal. I may update when I get in an actual trip.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 09:29 PM   #20

Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
I tow our Escape 21 with a 2002 F250 4x4 diesel.... The 8 ft long bed on the 250 lets me easily carry stuff that won't fit in a smaller bed

John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote