What type of Tow Vehicle do you use? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: What type of Tow Vehicle do you use?
EV - Electric 3 2.97%
HYBRID 4 3.96%
I.C.E - Internal Combustion Engine 94 93.07%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-13-2022, 02:21 PM   #21

Trailer: Scamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
  1. EV- Electric Vehicle requiring Plug-in to charge
  2. HYBRID- Both Electric AND Liquid Fuel Propulsion
  3. I.C.E.- Internal Combustion Engine
ICE, 91 S10 and 18 Canyon v6 17.5 mpg towing a 19’ SCAMP
barrry smithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 04:47 PM   #22

Name: Doug
Trailer: Casita SD 17'
California
2007 Ford Sport Trac with only 105k miles. Pulls my 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe no problem.
doctoruv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 05:00 PM   #23

Name: Bill
Trailer: shopping
MN
Toyota Rav4 3.5L V6 to tow our 16ft scamp.
I drive a Chevy Bolt EV round town as a commuter car, but I can't see EVs as a viable tow vehicle yet. Our next tow vehicle will be a hybrid.
DrBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 07:03 PM   #24

Name: Doug
Trailer: In the market
Virginia
2007 5.9 Cummings Dodge Ram 3500 dually 4 X 4. So much torque-will tow just about anything, anywhere
Conch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 06:20 PM   #25

Name: Alan & Penny
Trailer: Armadillo
British Columbia
Very interesting! We use an ICE.

We used to have a 2016 Jeep Cherokee with a 3.2L gas engine and I was always being very careful about how much water we loaded and anything else that went in the trailer (2016 13’ Armadillo maxing out at 1,785 lbs). We’ve since moved on to a 2017 Grand Cherokee with a 5.7L Hemi - I don’t ever worry about what I load for water or anything else anymore!! The hot on fuel economy was 1 or 2 mpg when not towing, and zero difference while towing.

I can only imagine what it was like with your 2.5L Subaru!

To the “Travellers” …. I read your post with great interest about your trip to Quebec and back. I haven’t travelled as much of our country as that - only from as far east as Toronto to Victoria and every corner of BC, but only from the Okanagan to Moose Jaw while towing; the idea of using an EV for that kind of trip sounds pretty scary to me! I was actually quite amazed at your trip - meaning you had to find places to charge in the middle of Saskatchewan & Manitoba; how did you ever manage that?
AP-Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 06:52 PM   #26

Name: Jonathan
Trailer: ex-Casita, now Alto R series
Massachusetts
Let's see how this works: Two different tow vehicles for two different trailers so I'll try to 'vote' twice.
This is mine: Chevy Volt. GM used a loophole to have it classified as full electric in that the on-board ICE drives an electric generator. I listed it as "hybrid" for this poll. The ICE can't drive the wheels directly. Only one (or the other) of the two electric motors can provide wheel power. The battery is good for about 35~40 miles and then the generator starts up. That 9 gallons of gasoline is good for 350-ish miles per tank.
Now to see if I can vote again....
Old 08-14-2022, 06:59 PM   #27

Name: Bonnie
Trailer: Casita
Massachusetts
And here I am again, this time appropriating her log-in for "ours".
Audi Q5 for the Casita. 2.0 liter four, 8 speed auto, AWD, "requires" 91+ octane, 28~30 mpg, or 18~22 when towing the Casi. BIG gas tank, so long range even towing, but OUCH! The $100 pay-at-the-pump limit isn't always enough.
Bonnie RB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 07:43 PM   #28

Name: John
Trailer: T@B
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP-Adventures View Post
Very interesting! We use an ICE.

We used to have a 2016 Jeep Cherokee with a 3.2L gas engine and I was always being very careful about how much water we loaded and anything else that went in the trailer (2016 13’ Armadillo maxing out at 1,785 lbs). We’ve since moved on to a 2017 Grand Cherokee with a 5.7L Hemi - I don’t ever worry about what I load for water or anything else anymore!! The hot on fuel economy was 1 or 2 mpg when not towing, and zero difference while towing.

I can only imagine what it was like with your 2.5L Subaru!

To the “Travellers” …. I read your post with great interest about your trip to Quebec and back. I haven’t travelled as much of our country as that - only from as far east as Toronto to Victoria and every corner of BC, but only from the Okanagan to Moose Jaw while towing; the idea of using an EV for that kind of trip sounds pretty scary to me! I was actually quite amazed at your trip - meaning you had to find places to charge in the middle of Saskatchewan & Manitoba; how did you ever manage that?
Howdy. It’s all pretty easy. The car knows where all the chargers are. You just press the right hand steering wheel button and say “take me too” and the name of where you are going. The car figures out the rest. Charge stops etc. Much easier than a gas car.

Or you can just touch the green on the supercharger you are headed for. The car figures out all the details and you pretty much know how much charge you will have when you arrive. Bottom line is there is no looking for chargers and no wondering if you will make it. You know before you put it in drive. No unknowns.

You can also use third party apps if it’s for chargers not on the Tesla network but I’m less familiar with those although we use them when convenient.

Hope that helps.

John.
Travellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 09:17 PM   #29

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travellers View Post
Howdy. It’s all pretty easy. The car knows where all the chargers are. You just press the right hand steering wheel button and say “take me too” and the name of where you are going. The car figures out the rest. Charge stops etc. Much easier than a gas car.

Or you can just touch the green on the supercharger you are headed for. The car figures out all the details and you pretty much know how much charge you will have when you arrive. Bottom line is there is no looking for chargers and no wondering if you will make it. You know before you put it in drive. No unknowns.

You can also use third party apps if it’s for chargers not on the Tesla network but I’m less familiar with those although we use them when convenient.

Hope that helps.

John.
That sounds pretty cool, BUT - what happens when you drive north of Prince George, Edmonton, Saskatoon, etc? Do you have to bring a generator if you want to go places outside of the TransCanada corridor? I live in the South Interior (BC, for those outside the area) as I believe you do (??), and I know there are lots of chargers 🔌 in every major centre, but not so much as you get to less populated areas.
Old 08-14-2022, 09:25 PM   #30

British Columbia
Quote:
That sounds pretty cool, BUT - what happens when you drive north of Prince George, Edmonton, Saskatoon, etc? Do you have to bring a generator if you want to go places outside of the TransCanada corridor? I live in the South Interior (BC, for those outside the area) as I believe you do (??), and I know there are lots of chargers �� in every major centre, but not so much as you get to less populated areas.
Yah for sure. That hasn’t come up yet as so far there has been good infrastructure where we have wanted to travel. Next year we are making the loop up the island, on the Ferry to Prince Rupert and then on to Prince George on 16. From there we haven’t decided yet. But most main routes in BC are well covered right now, and there is lots of new heaters coming on line between now and June of next year.

We actually carry a little propane 2 kw generator with us for dry camping but I can’t imagine ever using it for charging.the car. LOL. . 2 Kw wouldn’t charge very fast. .

It all takes time but it’s happening.

Cheers.
Old 08-14-2022, 09:33 PM   #31

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travellers View Post
Yah for sure. That hasn’t come up yet as so far there has been good infrastructure where we have wanted to travel. Next year we are making the loop up the island, on the Ferry to Prince Rupert and then on to Prince George on 16. From there we haven’t decided yet. But most main routes in BC are well covered right now, and there is lots of new heaters coming on line between now and June of next year.

It all takes time but it’s happening.

Cheers.
Oooo!!!!! Port Hardy on the Island to Prince Rupert???? NICE!!!!! Awesome trip. I’ve never done the whole thing, but I’ve done many parts of it. I can’t recommend enough that if you can afford it, make a stop for a couple days on the Queen Charlottes. So very worth it!! And here’s to hoping you get to see Rupert on a sunny day!!! It’s really quite lovely if you catch the right day. Go to Cow Bay for lunch; you won’t regret it. There are some fantastic parks between Prince Rupert and Terrace as well; just don’t forget your umbrella!! Hope you take lots of pics again; that trip east was very nicely documented!!
Old 08-14-2022, 09:36 PM   #32

British Columbia
Quote:
Oooo!!!!! Port Hardy on the Island to Prince Rupert???? NICE!!!!! Awesome trip. I’ve never done the whole thing, but I’ve done many parts of it. I can’t recommend enough that if you can afford it, make a stop for a couple days on the Queen Charlottes. So very worth it!! And here’s to hoping you get to see Rupert on a sunny day!!! It’s really quite lovely if you catch the right day. Go to Cow Bay for lunch; you won’t regret it. There are some fantastic parks between Prince Rupert and Terrace as well; just don’t forget your umbrella!! Hope you take lots of pics again; that trip east was very nicely documented!!
Will do. We are headed for the island in 3 weeks for a month or so as well. We like fall camping on the island.
Old 08-20-2022, 03:54 PM   #33

Name: Clayton
Trailer: 1979 Trillium 4500
Manitoba
2010 Dodge Grand Caravan, 3.3L V6
Attached Thumbnails
FEA4138D-E167-4184-99C8-96CC5FEC65CC.jpg  
spidermoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 04:07 PM   #34

Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
2002 Ford F250 longbed 7.3L Powerstroke diesel.

last road trip was 350-400 miles a day, with a full load in the back of the truck AND a 4500 lb full trailer, and involved a lot of remote rural mountain roads. F250 can go 500 miles+ per fuel tank.
oh, I left out the obligatory picture...

John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 06:21 PM   #35

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
2016 Ford Transit Connect, 2019 Ford Ranger, 2006 Ford Escape...

I.C.E. , I.C.E. , and I.C.E. respectively... all RBOB,...
no diesel , no LPG, no LNG, no E85.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0036.JPG   benton.jpg  

Oregon trip 005.jpg  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 08:33 AM   #36

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by parmm View Post
What about a diesel. I know it is Internal Combustion Engine, but if fires on compression and not spark. I don't have one any more, but did consider buying one instead of my Chevy Colorado V-6. My last diesel breakdown cost me $15,000, and that is why I didn't get a diesel!!!
Hi: parmm... Despite all the EPA add-a-crud I still like to tow with my 2016 Ram Ecodiesel PU. Just turned 123,456 km and still stock tuned. Anywhere between 20-26 mpg towing. You can't beat that!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1040875.jpg  
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 12:03 PM   #37

Name: Dave
Trailer: Scamp
North Carolina
ICE 13 Toyota 4Runner pulling a 13 foot Scamp. Can't really even tell that the camper is back there. It costs me about 5 MPG on average.

Dave
theremin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 11:42 AM   #38

Name: Casey
Trailer: 1980 Bigfoot
Alberta
I tow by B16 Bigfoot with my 2014 Jeep Trailhawk.

It has a factory towing package on it and tows the bigfoot with ease. When looking for a SUV the Trailhawk seems to have a really higher towing capacity compared to most mid sized SUV's of 5000 lbs. My bigfoot probably barely weighs 2500 lbs fully loaded so I'm happy to have it towing pretty much in the middle of its range. The jeep has a high bumper so I needed an 8 inch drop hitch to tow it! Really recommend this vehicle for towing smaller trailers, perfect for camping in off road areas in Alberta.
Case-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 01:08 PM   #39

Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
I had to look up what a Trailhawk was, as I've not stayed up with post-Fiat Jeeps... Trailhawk is a trim and feature package on the Cherokee KL, which is a front wheel drive centric (part time AWD) compact SUV
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 02:16 PM   #40

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
Trailhawk is a trim and feature package on the Cherokee KL, which is a front wheel drive centric (part time AWD) compact SUV
Trailhawk is a trim offered on a number of Jeep models. Based on the mention of tow ratings over 5000#, I'm pretty sure the Grand Cherokee Trailhawk was intended. If it will help you sleep better, the Grand Cherokee is a RWD platform that predates the FCA merger.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote