What will your next TV be??? - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2017, 08:48 PM   #81

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWanderers View Post
Clifford is ready for his debut as our new tow vehicle: gooseneck hitch has been installed and the Anderson Ultimate Fifth Wheel Adaptor arrived yesterday. I picked Clifford up from the doctor's office where he has his new bedliner sprayed in yesterday
This reminds me of this old gem about a trip to the doctor's...

I hope that Clifford wasn't impaired by his treatment...
Attached Images

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 05:06 PM   #82

Name: Daryl and Wendy
Trailer: 1973 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Registry
Canyon / Colorado Duramax 2.8L Turbo-Diesel

Thanks asking the question. I was hoping someone would offer some real life first hand experience with the Duramax 2.8L ???

We just returned form a 26,000km 88 day cross country trip. Our car is a 2003 GMC Envoy, 4 dr, 4wd, 4L straight six. It currently has 286,000km on it and it runs without complaint and is a real pleasure to drive. The only thing I could ask for is a Bluetooth connection to the in-car stereo. Our trailer is a 1973 13' Trillium. The Envoy had to work hard to get through West Virginia, through Colorado and from Las Vegas to Portland via Bend, but it did the job without concern. Its going to be real difficult to replace this suv with another.
Old 11-04-2017, 11:22 AM   #83

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
gotta agree Daryl....

"Its going to be real difficult to replace this suv with another."

I drive an 07 Dodge Nitro, 4x4, 3.7L ....

Last year I sort of toyed with the idea of a change and went shopping. It seemed to me that ten years later one had to look very hard to get the same tow capacity without going to a pick-up...or paying a real high price for a "high end" SUV (with all the bells and whistles I don't want/need BTW).

this is completely anecdotal of course...

I, like you, very much enjoy the vehicle I got right now. In the end I decided to spend the money on the Nitro (tranny, wh bearings, cv joints) to extend its "life" with me for another five years... (that's only about 12,000km a year for me)....time will tell if that was a good decision

happy motoring!
Attached Thumbnails
ding4.jpg  
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 11:40 AM   #84

Name: Jack
Trailer: Casita Liberty
Virginia
Hopefully mine will be stolen. Cheaper that way.
We have a 2015 Chevy Colorado. Just waiting for the camper to be built in the spring.
jgilliam1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 01:39 PM   #85

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17SD
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franswa View Post
"Its going to be real difficult to replace this suv with another."

I drive an 07 Dodge Nitro, 4x4, 3.7L ....

Last year I sort of toyed with the idea of a change and went shopping. It seemed to me that ten years later one had to look very hard to get the same tow capacity without going to a pick-up...or paying a real high price for a "high end" SUV (with all the bells and whistles I don't want/need BTW).

this is completely anecdotal of course...

I, like you, very much enjoy the vehicle I got right now. In the end I decided to spend the money on the Nitro (tranny, wh bearings, cv joints) to extend its "life" with me for another five years... (that's only about 12,000km a year for me)....time will tell if that was a good decision

happy motoring!
I can relate. My tug is an 02 Tundra SR5 V8. I'm the original owner, it has 140k miles. We just returned from a 5400 mile, three week trip to Arizona and in the months leading up to it, I installed a timing belt kit, new radiator & hoses, shocks/struts, valve cover gaskets, fresh tires and replaced all fluids. The truck performed great, has a comfortable ride, is less bulky than the current crop of 1/2 tons and although the engine is thirsty, it gets the job done with room to spare. To get a comparable pickup, even one a few years old would cost many times what I've spent on it. Fortunately, I was able to do a lot of the work myself.

Hoping to get a few more years out of it. As far as new trucks I'm undecided - the F150s are nice, but would also consider something a little smaller: Colorado or Tacoma.
DeBreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 11:14 AM   #86
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
I really like my 2012 Frontier. It's a simple no frills pickup that is the perfect tow for us. So far it has not seen road salt. If I can keep it that way it should last me many years. But if and when the time comes the next generation Honda Ridgeline will get a close look. It is due out this fall and by the time I'm looking they should have worked all the bugs out. Raz
Well, as I said back then I gave the Ridgeline a close look, but I like the Frontier better. So yesterday we picked up a new 2017 Frontier S 4wd crew cab. $26 k out the door. Now if only the upcoming holiday was Memorial day. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 11:54 AM   #87

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
Well, as I said back then I gave the Ridgeline a close look, but I like the Frontier better. So yesterday we picked up a new 2017 Frontier S 4wd crew cab. $26 k out the door. Now if only the upcoming holiday was Memorial day. Raz
Congratulations and Happy Holidays Raz
Spring will be here sooner than you imagine !!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 12:59 PM   #88

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Go south young man, go south
Old 11-22-2017, 01:13 PM   #89

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Toyota Highlander, no question . To tow our Escape 21. It will replace our 2012 Highlander with 170k trouble free miles. And the new ones have 25 more horsepower and an 8 speed transmission.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 01:33 PM   #90
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Ordered the hitch. That will do for now. Ho ho ho.

Thanks for the kind wishes. I hope things are going well for you as well.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 04:12 PM   #91

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Go south young man, go south
My wife and I have been there and done that !!
We tried going South in the Winter but decided it just wasn't for us.
We missed the winter weather and snow.
The South was just to hot and humid and we found we really didn't fit in with the culture.
Some people go South for a vacation, we would rather go North to Canada or New England.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 07:32 PM   #92

Trailer: Boler
I bought a new 2017 Land Rover Discovery diesel this past summer - 254 HP and 440 ft-lbs of torque. It gets 27 mpg on the highway at 75 mph and over 19 mpg towing my travel trailer. Towing capacity of the Land Rover is 7900 lbs so a sub-2000 lb travel trailer is hardly noticed by the truck.
Attached Thumbnails
C12P5525.jpg  
Jack Walter is offline   Reply With Quote