Wheel and Tire Combo - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2013, 09:02 AM   #1

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Wheel and Tire Combo

Is there any reason you couldn't use these on the Scamp/Boler type 13's? Same size tire etc.

13" x 4.5" White Spoke Trailer Wheel with bias ST17580D13C Tire Mounted (5-4.5" bolt circle) : Amazon.com : Automotive

They look similar to the ones Scamp uses, we just bought some for our boat trailer which got me thinking as they are a good price.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:25 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
As long as the bolt pattern is the same, they're zero offset, the center hole is big enough and the tire isn't so wide it won't fit in the enclosed wheel well, you could use them.

Shipping might be a killer though...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:18 AM   #3

Trailer: 73 Boler and 78 Biggar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
As long as the bolt pattern is the same, they're zero offset, the center hole is big enough and the tire isn't so wide it won't fit in the enclosed wheel well, you could use them.

Shipping might be a killer though...
to get my tires on the boler , the trailer has to get jacked up really high to squeeze them in , , not easy ,but worth it ,I feel .
John J. M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:55 PM   #4

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
The listed tires are bias-ply; the online Scamp 13' specs say
Quote:
13" B load radial
I won't launch the radial versus bias-ply debate here, but it is a difference to be considered.

The proposed tire is Load Range C (while the Scamp original equipment is Load Range , which is also a difference, but that's harmless... unless it causes the owner to be confused about inflation pressure. Again, not a debate which needs to be run again in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I agree, with the addition that the overall diameter is not large enough to cause fit problems.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:11 PM   #5

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kootenaigirl View Post
Is there any reason you couldn't use these on the Scamp/Boler type 13's? Same size tire etc.

13" x 4.5" White Spoke Trailer Wheel with bias ST17580D13C Tire Mounted (5-4.5" bolt circle) : Amazon.com : Automotive

They look similar to the ones Scamp uses, we just bought some for our boat trailer which got me thinking as they are a good price.
Specs for newer trailers aside:

If you're talking specifically about the 1975 Boler in your profile, I wouldn't be surprised if these tires were a near-perfect match to the original tire specs.

As noted above, the wheels could be a different story, so checking the mentioned dimensions very carefully would be in order...

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:33 PM   #6

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
We bought about the same thing for about 2 for $175 at a local Pep-Boys store and they checked and corrected the balance as well. Took 3 days to order them. You might check with Canadian tire etc in your area.

However, be prepared to get an off brand Chinese tire and be sure to specify that they can't be more than 6 months old at delivery.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:30 PM   #7

British Columbia
Thanks for the input everyone. Wheels seem to be tricky maybe I'll just get new tires
Old 05-12-2013, 09:14 AM   #8

That's supposed to be ST175/80D13 LR-C, or
ST - Special Trailer spec class
175 mm nominal section width
80% aspect ratio
diagonal (bias) ply construction
Load Range C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
If you're talking specifically about the 1975 Boler in your profile, I wouldn't be surprised if these tires were a near-perfect match to the original tire specs.
No, the Boler original is likely 600-13, A78-13, or B78-13, any of which are significantly narrower than the 175 mm width of the new tires; the "600" means 6 inches, and 175 millimetres is about 7 inches. The proposed tire is wider, taller overall, and a higher load range; it matches only in rim diameter and construction type. Since the original width is generally no longer available, this mismatch is commonly faced by B1300 owners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
As noted above, the wheels could be a different story...
Yes, the new wheels could be wider (which won't likely be a problem if the tire width is not), and the original whells might have 1/2" offset so if the new ones have zero offset outer sidewall to fender lip interference might be an issue. As Donna noted the bolt pattern must match, and while the proposed wheel has 5 bolt holes, the original likely has 4.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kootenaigirl View Post
Wheels seem to be tricky maybe I'll just get new tires
Although these wheels may not match, if your trailer has 4-bolt hubs most 4-hole trailer wheels are the same and will work. Wheel+tire combinations are very common for trailers, especially from stores that don't have a shop to do tire mounting, so they can be a good deal.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:58 AM   #10

British Columbia
Yes, my wheels and tires now are not original. They are 5 bolt and the same tire size as the ones on the link.