Wheel bearing info - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2010, 08:03 PM   #1

Trailer: Boler
Evening.
When I bought our 72 Boler,I failed to ask about the bearings.The previous owner did a greasing while we were switching plates,and I've only put on maybe 300 km in a year.Now,though,I'm going to be travelling(a LOT! to craft shows)so I thought it would be wise to research the procedure.Most web info seems to refer to dust caps,etc,while my beast has a grease nipple in the center of the shaft.
Help requested please on the technique of "doing" the bearings.
Rick Harmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:05 AM   #2

Trailer: 75 Trillium 13 ft
This site has a VERY good walkthrough on doing bearings Repacking Trailer Wheel Bearings

When it comes to wheel bearings, I'm a fan of the remove and pack by hand (or bearing packer), as this gives the opportunity to inspect the spindle, seals, bearings, etc. Being said, once you've done the entire remove and repack, the grease nipple is good for filling the entire bearing area to help keep water out, but a good seal and dust cap should work just the same.

Liz&Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 09:25 AM   #3

Trailer: 1973 Boler 1300 (Glass-Fab
Registry
Mantra:

Do not overtighten nut
Do not overtighten nut
Do not overtighten nut
Do not overtighten nut
Do not overtighten nut
Mike Bromley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 09:44 AM   #4

Trailer: Boler
So,that's "Do not overtighten the nut".That part I get.Question is,how do we get to the first step when we have a grease nipple in the middle of the axle?I think that the videos,and the kind responses here are great,just wondering about that first step...
Rick Harmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 01:20 PM   #5

Trailer: 1971 Boler 13 ft
Quote:
Question is,how do we get to the first step when we have a grease nipple in the middle of the axle?
Hi Rick,

I'm no expert on this but from what I've picked up around here I think the answer to your question is "it depends". There are add on grease caps for some axles which have a grease fitting in the middle. There are also Bearing Buddies which were originally designed for boat trailers but have been added to many trailer axles. My understanding is that these are helpful in getting grease to the outer bearings on an axle but do nothing for the inner bearing and, as such, still require the normal procedure for repacking that inner bearing.

The other possibility is that you have an EZ Lube axle which has a grease fitting that allows you to "pack" both bearings with a few squirts from a grease gun. When I ordered the new axle for my Boler I made sure to spec an EZ Lube model since I've always hated doing the bearings.

Hope this is helpful,
Russ
RussL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:34 PM   #6

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Just be sure you do not OVER DO IT when using the grease fitting on the axle because it will come out when you travel and get all over your rim and trailer.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:50 PM   #7

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
I was told that my Uhaul has 'sealed bearings' that don't need repacking. What does that mean? How does one tell when they need changing? or replacing?
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:08 AM   #8

Trailer: 75 Trillium 13 ft
Quote:
I was told that my Uhaul has 'sealed bearings' that don't need repacking. What does that mean? How does one tell when they need changing? or replacing?

Sealed bearings generally cannot be repacked without access to a powerful press. They're designed to be replaced as a solid unit. I dislike them, but that's me coming from a Jeep'ing background where you want to be able to grease anything that can get water in it.

Kev
Liz&Kev is offline   Reply With Quote