Where in Nor Cal to have brakes and possibly axle install on 13’ Boler - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2019, 07:31 AM   #1

Name: Bree
Trailer: In the market
California
Where in Nor Cal to have brakes and possibly axle install on 13’ Boler

After researching last night I realize that without brakes on the trailer I can’t load anything into my trailer and tow it with my 07 Subaru Forrester.
This will be fine in the short term as I can travel with most everything in the car but I am looking to add the brakes soon so I can increase the amount of weight I can tow.
I am looking for suggestions in the Northern California, Sacramento area for a reputable place to add the brakes and possibly the axle. (Need to double check whether the axle is necessary, I’m picking up the trailer today!)
It’s a 1979 Boler 13’
Thank you in advance for your suggestions.
Bree88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 08:58 AM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bree88 View Post
After researching last night I realize that without brakes on the trailer I can’t load anything into my trailer and tow it with my 07 Subaru Forrester.
This will be fine in the short term as I can travel with most everything in the car but I am looking to add the brakes soon so I can increase the amount of weight I can tow.
I am looking for suggestions in the Northern California, Sacramento area for a reputable place to add the brakes and possibly the axle. (Need to double check whether the axle is necessary, I’m picking up the trailer today!)
It’s a 1979 Boler 13’
Keep in mind if you put things into the rear of the Subaru they needs to be added to your tongue weight allowance which is pretty low on the Subaru to start with.

You will also need an axel for sure if there are no mounting bolt holes on the axle that is on the trailer. If it’s the original axel on the trailer it most probable does not have mounting holes for brakes so you will for sure need a new axle.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 09:10 AM   #3

Name: Tom
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bree88 View Post
It’s a 1979 Boler 13’
I'm up in Redding, may be a bit too far north for you, but I can recommend Redding Trailer Center.
Phone, (530) 241-2312 · Address. 4161 Eastside Rd; Redding, California 96001
Dave is the owner, I would ask for him and mention your project, they do axle swaps, brake installations, etc. And are very good at what they do.
Tom Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 09:15 AM   #4

California
Thank you!
Old 06-04-2019, 09:46 AM   #5

California
Thank you
Old 06-04-2019, 10:07 AM   #6

Name: Doug
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16, 2011 RAV4 V6
California
Allied Trailer on El Camino in Sacramento can do the work. I occasionally shop their retail store but have not had work done by them (Their shop is just down the road from the retail store). I did get an estimate once for a new axle for a Scamp 13 I briefly owned and it seemed reasonable. The staff at the retail store are nice and competent.
Doug in Sacramento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 10:12 AM   #7

Name: Bob
Trailer: Bigfoot 17G
Oregon
I would check with Allied RV in Sacramento to see if they do that kind of work.

You might also check with Valley Spring in Dixon. They even build new springs from scratch.
bobblangley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 10:37 AM   #8

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
It may be necessary to get a new axle ever if your old one is still good. If you have an axle without the flanges necessary to mount brake assembly's you'll need to get a new axle with flanges.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, boler, brakes