Please help me choose a tow vehicle.
Some Back Ground Info to work with -
- Reserved a Escape
17B with Feb 16 Completion date.
- Will be- April, May 2016 due to weather issues in Chilliwack, Ca before I may be able to travel to pick it up.
- Never towed anything in my life.
- Honestly speaking a little apprehensive about the steep learning curve of towing driving the Trailer back home to Central Florida from Chilliwack. But paying the $7000+ delivery fee is prompting me to take my chances at towing it home.
- Recently retired 60 & DW 55, kids have left home & reading the RV Travel Forums want to take it up at least for the initial few years. Initially start on Weekends and then plan camping for longer trips as we feel comfortable.
- Presently 1) DW drives a 2010 Lexus RV 350 AWD with Towing package of upto 3500 lbs 2) I drive a 2003 Avalon XLS with 115 k miles, which needs to be replaced (Bothersome Check Engine Light
- Although some on the Forum & at the Escape
Trailer Office feel the Rx 350(3500 lb capacity) should be fine/adequate towing 17B, but some feel a V8 would be better.
I have never driven a V8, and as this is my first time towing I want to prepare my self as well as possible & this started my hunt & research for the V8s & is driving me crazy.
- The BUDGET is $30000 for the probable V8 Tow vehicle, we have been lucky with buying late model Toyotas so far.
- The V8 4runners stopped getting made in 2009 & all I find in the resales are the ones with around 100k miles which makes me a little uncomfortable.
- The V8 Sequioa are a little huge for DW(Thinks) to park, in the event she had to drive it in a pinch.
- The Highlander V6 has 5000 lb towing capacity & would be fine for a 17B, but I was trying to cover the possibility of if I upgrade the Trailer later to a 19 or a 21, I may need a V8 engine.
- The Grand Cherokee would have been an ideal mid size vehicle with a V8, but the quality problems on their owner forums, leave a lot to be desired.
- I looked at late model V8 Yokon/Tahoe & the V8 Expedition, but am not able to pull the trigger due to the quality problems(Probably perceived now as I read the quality has improved much lately).
- I may have to increase my budget to $35k (Could be done) & start looking at a late model Lexus GX 460 which has a V8 (4runner cousin). We save first & then pay cash for our vehicles.
I need some pointers, as I am sure other Forum members have passed this route & want to know what they decided (Or would decide) & why.
I read of some people on the Forum towing 17B comfortably with a V6 Sienna 3500 lb capacity + WDH, & with what they said at the Escape
Office, a part of me says just try the RX 350 first & see how it goes before I go & buy a V8. It may be just a case of needing some reassurance.
But the cold & snow driving being foreign to us in Central Florida is probably making it seem harder than it really is.
I am going crazzzzyyyyy, helppppp !!!!!