Will Nissan Frontier Short Bed tow 5th wheel Scamp?? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2006, 07:51 AM   #1

Trailer: 2003 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Rita')
Thumbs up

Just bought a Nissan Frontier Crew Cab, short bed. V6. Will it tow Scamp 5th wheel or is bed too short for clearance? Anyone have any thoughts? Must have a long bed??
I am new to fiberglass campers. Have had several mini motorhomes.
Thanks for any and all input!!
Betty L.
Betty L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 08:14 AM   #2

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Hi Betty!

Welcome to FGRV! I don't have direct experience (yet) pulling a Scamp 5th wheel with a short bed pickup, but I'm headed to Spokane in a couple of weeks to pick up a Scamp 5th wheel with an S-10 4door short bed pickup that has been a towing combo for several years now.

It's apparently a combo that worked well for the current owners, so I'd not think, if your Nissan is otherwise equipped for the load (trailer towing package) that it would cause you any problems!

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 08:18 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Custom Deluxe
I tow a Scamp 5th wheel with a Mazda 4L-V6 extended cab with the 6ft bed. Makes a good tow combination. I get 17mpg @ 65mph with the trailer in tow. Photo was taken last week in the north Georgia Mountains at Amicalola Falls State Park.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN6742.jpg  
Mike-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 07:26 AM   #4

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
A photo of a Scamp 5th wheel and an S-10 4dr...
Attached Thumbnails
scamp_002.jpg  
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 07:52 PM   #5

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
There are two recent topics in this forum also related to "fifth wheel" trailers and truck compatibility. Even the parts not dealing specifically with the Scamp or Frontier explore some of the issues and options, so I think they're worth reading. There are probably earlier ones to be found, too.

bigfoot 5th wheel, weight?
5er towing question, Can I do it?

One of the details that comes up in these discussions is that "short box" isn't very specific, because there are all sorts of lengths - even in the same brand - and it's not the length of the box that matters: it's the distance from the back of the cab to the hitch position, which ideally is no further back than the axle. It would be nice to have the cab-to-axle distance for all the trucks people are considering (for instance, Paul's Tacoma SR5 is 36") and the required clearance for each trailer.

Lacking any more specific measurement, it looks like the Scamp 19' coupler is ahead of the front of the body so it could be turned a full 90 degrees with a clearance of half the trailer width, or about 40".

The S-10 in that photo from Roger has about the shortest cab-to-axle space in production, so either the Scamp is limited in turning angle, or the hitch is behind the axle (as Benny suggested in another topic), or the coupler is extended forward, or perhaps some compromise of two or more of these options. Looks promising for the Frontier...
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 11:47 AM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I too live in the Ozarks and I am looking to buy a Scamp 5th wheel. Interested in selling?
Troy Earls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 05:22 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
I too live in the Ozarks and I am looking to buy a Scamp 5th wheel. Interested in selling?
If you're asking about Roger's 5th wheel, he sold it months ago.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp