Wiring f150 brakes for casita - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2015, 02:18 PM   #21

Name: jen
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003
Georgia
Dave, the towing package came with my trailer so...might as well use it...
jenbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 11:22 PM   #22

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Oregon
I have been reading this thread, interesting! I have an F 150 also. I use the WDH because the tongue weight pushes down on the tail of my truck and at night people,think I am high beaming them since the front of the truck is points up! People are generally all over the place with this...your choice. With the WDH hooked up we are level. If I hook the casita to my big ford 3/4 ton truck, it isn't an issue, but the little Ford is like a car, better ride, quieter, nice interior..not a difficult decision which truck to use.
I admire you for your persistence getting this worked out...good for you!
I am on the opposite coast, California, or I would come show you how to hook up and tow! You can do it..we are women..hear us roar!
Leej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 06:30 PM   #23

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
The Prodigy can be installed flat or up to 70 degrees. Mine is installed close to my right knee at an angle. I used the pigtale that is manfactured for the Chevy Silverado. One end plugs into the controller and the other plugs directly into the Silverado receptacle.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 06:40 PM   #24

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
The Prodigy can be installed flat or up to 70 degrees.....
I believe you are thinking of the P2. They both need to be mounted so that the front of the unit is horizontal, and must be parallel to direction of travel,but the current P3 can be mounted in 360 degrees of rotation in the vertical range.. See the install instructions.

The mounting location is something the OP should consider. IMHO, one should investigate a purchase by reading the install instructions (available on the internet) before making a purchase.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 08:34 PM   #25

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
etrailer info for the P2 says:

Tekonsha Brake Controller - 90885

Proportional brake controller automatically levels when mounted within a 360-degree vertical range. Includes digital display, 3 boost levels, battery protection and continuous diagnostics. Easily transfer between different automobiles.
Old 07-25-2015, 08:44 PM   #26

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Interesting! It seems they have updated the P2.. and I should have checked the directions before assuming it was the same limitation as when I was shopping brake controllers.

Just goes to show the value of reading the manual when doing your research.. thanks for the update.

Remember.. some brake controls offer more mounting options than others.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 10:04 PM   #27

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
I don't know for sure why a connection with short length of wire is called a pigtail but it was/is common to twist the wires and sometimes would even be loosely braided. Tail of wires is wide at the plug end and would get smaller at the wire connection ends. So it would be something like the hair pig tail which derives its name originally based on a twisted length of drying tobacco.

Do know pigtail is a common term for a short length of multiple wires with a common connector. Including the short 4 pin hookup you sometimes see hanging at the back of a tow vehicle.

You need a fuse because there is an electrical wire that will now have power that did not before. That circuit needs to be protected by a fuse or circuit breaker in case there is a short in the wiring.

Oddly enough it is the lack of position sensitivity that is the main reason that people will still install a time delay controller rather than proportional. Since time delay just go through a preset delay and preset ramp up of electrical power delivered to the brakes when the brake lights go on they can be mounted any old way or angle. Orientation does not matter for time delay the way it does for a proportional which needs to detect deceleration and respond proportionally to that deceleration.

What can be funny is without a little bit of modification some vehicles with a time delay brake controller won't know the difference between 4 way flashers and brake lights. So going up a steep hill with a trailer the driver puts the flashers on because they are moving slow and that in effect taps the trailer brakes each time the tail lights flash. Which of course slows them down even more.....
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 08:00 AM   #28

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Gordon,

I went out to the truck, got out the manual and that is what it said. I mounted it in accordance with the directions and have used it for years with no problems. It is installed as I said next to my right knee at some degree close to the 70 degree mark.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes, casita