WI 2014, June 11-15: Door county, "Eggs at Egg Harbor" - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2014, 07:58 AM   #101

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17
Mount Horeb, Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
Floyd,

I just read on a pu site about Penisula Stat Park and how the trail near the lake was most scenic the person had seen. Wonder if one can bike into the park without a pass? I think Fred needs to figure out a way to haul his bike over. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

they said road tires were not enough, good surface, just not for skinny tires.

Nancy
Nancy and Floyd,
I called the place that rents bikes outside Peninsula Park and was told that it is allowed to park outside the park and bike in without incurring the entry fee. The exception is that use of the mountain bike trails is not allowed without a park pass. Hope this answers your question. Tony
Tony Nowak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 11:36 AM   #102

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
Dang, what a small world, I ride the same era Trek 850 (black with orange logos) with street/trail tires and have been on the path at Peninsula. This time of year you will have no problem with your 820.
I also have a denim blue 1990 Trek 850 which I am prepping for limestone screenings trails. Love that CRO-MO!
I have five vintage Treks, only my 1400 road bike is aluminum
We live next to the I&M Canal Towpath which is about fifty miles of screened limestone running along between the Canal and the Illinois River.
We also have the beautiful Fox river trail and Fermi Lab nearby.

Note to Wisconsin residents,...Come on down! Notice that was a "Tow Path" not a "Toll Path" like in Wisconsin. You can ride Illinois trails without the seasonal or daily charge, we don't even charge extra for out of state riders.
(wish it was reciprocal)
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 11:53 AM   #103

Name: Rick
Trailer: TBA
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I also have a denim blue 1990 Trek 850 which I am prepping for limestone screenings trails. Love that CRO-MO!
I have five vintage Treks, only my 1400 road bike is aluminum
We live next to the I&M Canal Towpath which is about fifty miles of screened limestone running along between the Canal and the Illinois River.
We also have the beautiful Fox river trail and Fermi Lab nearby.

Note to Wisconsin residents,...Come on down! Notice that was a "Tow Path" not a "Toll Path" like in Wisconsin. You can ride Illinois trails without the seasonal or daily charge, we don't even charge extra for out of state riders.
(wish it was reciprocal)
Of course there are 4 toll booths on the interstate in Illinois between me and you.
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 12:55 PM   #104

Registry
Quote:
Of course there are 4 toll booths on the interstate in Illinois between me and you.
Come down Rte 47 via Lake Geneva. You do make a good point though, only thing is you can drive a Semi 450 miles down the length of Illinois(15 miles toll) for half the price of a bicycle day pass at Dodgeville, and they don't charge extra for out of state residents.

Oddly enough though... Ahnapee trail site says admission is free.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:07 AM   #105

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Wisconsin
Quote:
Come down Rte 47 via Lake Geneva. You do make a good point though, only thing is you can drive a Semi 450 miles down the length of Illinois(15 miles toll) for half the price of a bicycle day pass at Dodgeville, and they don't charge extra for out of state residents.

Oddly enough though... Ahnapee trail site says admission is free.
I would gladly pay a fee for any outdoor trail or recreation that is a choice. Keeps the riff-raff out and off so I can enjoy it. And it covers the costs of maintaining it. I remember living in Utah and they started charging a fee for going up a certain canyon (Millcreek). Everybody kicked and screamed at the time over a $2-3 daily fee. First time I went up after the charge I found no teenagers or idiots hanging out wrecking and littering like before. All the cheapskates went elsewhere. Became our favorite place to go!

I am very strongly opposed to any kind of toll road that should already be covered by taxes and fuel taxes. Not to pay a toll for all the workers who have to be paid to maintain the collection of the tolls and the toll system. Heck, WI even has a highway ferry with no toll (Merimac), really cool.

Living near Sturgeon Bay, we were very interested in joining everyone but are too busy to camp in the Scamp that weekend in Egg Harbor. We hope to stop by though to see and meet a few of you over the weekend. Might just drag the Scamp around the camp to say high. Sure are glad we are not FGlass wannabees anymore.
Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 07:42 PM   #106

Name: Nate
Trailer: 1981 Casita 13. TV: 2011 Honda CR-V
Wisconsin
Registry
Quote:
Looks like there are some great bicycle trails in the area.
Anybody else bringing bicycles?

I'm fairly sure my wife and I will be bringing our Cannondale road bikes.

I have relatives doing a ride that weekend in Door County as well. (62 miles, IIRC)
Nate R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:44 AM   #107

Name: Rick
Trailer: TBA
Wisconsin
As it shook out my GF will be joining me and we will be arriving on Friday the 13th (cue scary music) and staying in one of the A frame cabins.

Special shout out to Nancy who so graciously offered a tent spot at her site but with 2 of us and a small dog I think the A frame is going to work out a bit better. Especially at the special group rate of only $35/night. Heck of a deal for Door county in June.

I signed up at the Google site. Can't wait to see you all there.
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:06 AM   #108

Mount Horeb, Wisconsin
Google site updated

Attendees may want to check the google site for more of an idea about schedule and plans. https://sites.google.com/site/eggsateggharbor/home
We (Kathy Dalby) will still need to finalize the roster and do further updates. We hope the weather cooperates in three weeks.
Tony and Darlene
Old 05-21-2014, 09:07 AM   #109

Name: Nate
Trailer: 1981 Casita 13. TV: 2011 Honda CR-V
Wisconsin
Registry
Quote:
Looks like there are some great bicycle trails in the area.
Anybody else bringing bicycles?
Also looking forward to seeing your bike rack in person! My wife and I are talking about our options for bike transport, and definitely don't want a rack on the rear of the trailer. Not sure if we'll go roof rack, inside the camper, or a tongue-mounted setup like you made.
Nate R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 07:43 PM   #110

Name: Pete
Trailer: 17' Casita SD
Wisconsin
We'll be arriving Wed and leaving Sun. is there a (loose) schedule of events or get-togethers or are the plans fluid. This is our first rally so we're really excited to meet everyone.
yyyyyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 09:58 AM   #111

Mount Horeb, Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by yyyyyguy View Post
We'll be arriving Wed and leaving Sun. is there a (loose) schedule of events or get-togethers or are the plans fluid. This is our first rally so we're really excited to meet everyone.
Here is the link to our google site:https://sites.google.com/site/eggsateggharbor/home
We look forward to seeing you. Tony
Old 05-23-2014, 10:03 AM   #112

Mount Horeb, Wisconsin
"Meet and Greet" 5 PM at the pavillion, Wednesday June 11th

Darlene and I will provide a meal of pulled pork, beans and chips. Plates and plastic wear included. All that you need to bring is your beverage of choice.
Let's hope the day is as nice as it is in southern Wisconsin today.
Tony
Old 05-23-2014, 11:36 AM   #113

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtec View Post
I would gladly pay a fee for any outdoor trail or recreation that is a choice. Keeps the riff-raff out and off so I can enjoy it. And it covers the costs of maintaining it. I remember living in Utah and they started charging a fee for going up a certain canyon (Millcreek). Everybody kicked and screamed at the time over a $2-3 daily fee. First time I went up after the charge I found no teenagers or idiots hanging out wrecking and littering like before. All the cheapskates went elsewhere. Became our favorite place to go!

I am very strongly opposed to any kind of toll road that should already be covered by taxes and fuel taxes. Not to pay a toll for all the workers who have to be paid to maintain the collection of the tolls and the toll system. Heck, WI even has a highway ferry with no toll (Merimac), really cool.

Living near Sturgeon Bay, we were very interested in joining everyone but are too busy to camp in the Scamp that weekend in Egg Harbor. We hope to stop by though to see and meet a few of you over the weekend. Might just drag the Scamp around the camp to say high. Sure are glad we are not FGlass wannabees anymore.
Who knows?... with a little breeding we might leave the riff-raff and become full fledged members of the "Hoi-Polloi"!
Especially if (like a deer with a little doe) we can come up with two "bucks"!...

From what I hear, on the bike paths they don't charge for pedestrians or any kind of skates even "cheap" ones
Old 05-24-2014, 07:50 AM   #114

Wisconsin
Thanks for the laugh Floyd.

If you have not yet been to Door County and biked you are in for pleasant surprise. It is a very conducive area for biking on both trails and roads. The only place in the whole county that I know of that charges a fee is just the mountain biking trails in Peninsula State Park. The regular trails in the park, which there are miles of, are mostly shaded and very well maintained. The views and sights are outstanding. If you like biking of any kind you are coming to the right place. And, because of all the water, it's typically cooler in temp so you are not usually baked when riding.

We like to bike through the park up to Ephriam, get some ice cream(not hard to know what place to go, just make sure to grab a number at the counter first thing). Head back and hang out and swim at the beach in Nicolet Bay, pronounced without the t for the MN tourists, (picking on my wife, lol). Ride back over to Fish Creek around 4pm. Pick a bar around happy hour time and get a table for dinner beating the rush around 5-6pm. Try a fish boil at Pellitiers in Fish Creek. Endless things to do, especially with bikes.

You want to have some real biking fun?

- Drive up to the tip and take the ferry to Washington Island with just your bikes for a whole day. It's a big island and yes, there is a toll for bikes and yourself. But a lot cheaper than taking a car across.
-ride from Sturgeon Bay to Egg Harbor on Bay Shore Drive
-ride the Ahnapee Trial from Sturgeon Bay - Algoma, Free!! Not much shade though.
-ride anywhere around northern Door and Newport State Park
-ride any road hugging the lake shore side on a hot day
-ride the roads near Whitefish Bay and Cave Point County park.
-Bike Potawatomi State Park, the forgotten park. It has 99.8% shaded roads that are quiet and great biking. We live a mile from this park and use it as a workout with our road bikes.

You could come to Door County for years and never stop finding cool things to do. And, you will have a hard time not coming back every year.
Old 05-24-2014, 02:21 PM   #115

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Fees

Quote:
My wife and I, plus our daughters family go camping once a year at a Western Wisconsin SP. We must each pay the non resident camping fee, plus a $9.70 reservation fee plus purchase a $35 State Park sticker . Illinois charges no reservation fee and requires no park sticker when camping in their State Parks and the camping fee is often less than Wisconsin's . Floyd , Illinois could take lessons from Wisconsin on fees and tolls but it would only be for the worse !!!

PS By the way I paid close to $ 4K in Wisconsin taxes last year
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 07:44 PM   #116

Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
My wife and I, plus our daughters family go camping once a year at a Western Wisconsin SP. We must each pay the non resident camping fee, plus a $9.70 reservation fee plus purchase a $35 State Park sticker . Illinois charges no reservation fee and requires no park sticker when camping in their State Parks and the camping fee is often less than Wisconsin's . Floyd , Illinois could take lessons from Wisconsin on fees and tolls but it would only be for the worse !!!

PS By the way I paid close to $ 4K in Wisconsin taxes last year
Wow Steve, $4K in taxes! $11 bucks a day. I see your unhappiness but you do have a choice. Sell the property and camp in IL. I pay the same and am perfectly happy with the police, fire, no toll roads, services and they still educate my kids yet, though that seems to be changing so I may join you.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:37 AM   #117

Mount Horeb, Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtec View Post
Thanks for the laugh Floyd.

If you have not yet been to Door County and biked you are in for pleasant surprise. It is a very conducive area for biking on both trails and roads. The only place in the whole county that I know of that charges a fee is just the mountain biking trails in Peninsula State Park. The regular trails in the park, which there are miles of, are mostly shaded and very well maintained. The views and sights are outstanding. If you like biking of any kind you are coming to the right place. And, because of all the water, it's typically cooler in temp so you are not usually baked when riding.

We like to bike through the park up to Ephriam, get some ice cream(not hard to know what place to go, just make sure to grab a number at the counter first thing). Head back and hang out and swim at the beach in Nicolet Bay, pronounced without the t for the MN tourists, (picking on my wife, lol). Ride back over to Fish Creek around 4pm. Pick a bar around happy hour time and get a table for dinner beating the rush around 5-6pm. Try a fish boil at Pellitiers in Fish Creek. Endless things to do, especially with bikes.

You want to have some real biking fun?

- Drive up to the tip and take the ferry to Washington Island with just your bikes for a whole day. It's a big island and yes, there is a toll for bikes and yourself. But a lot cheaper than taking a car across.
-ride from Sturgeon Bay to Egg Harbor on Bay Shore Drive
-ride the Ahnapee Trial from Sturgeon Bay - Algoma, Free!! Not much shade though.
-ride anywhere around northern Door and Newport State Park
-ride any road hugging the lake shore side on a hot day
-ride the roads near Whitefish Bay and Cave Point County park.
-Bike Potawatomi State Park, the forgotten park. It has 99.8% shaded roads that are quiet and great biking. We live a mile from this park and use it as a workout with our road bikes.

You could come to Door County for years and never stop finding cool things to do. And, you will have a hard time not coming back every year.
Good biking suggestions, thanks for the input and recognizing the other state parks, other than Peninsula
We've arranged a fish boil at Pelletiers for Saturday night, Home
They will give us a good price of $16.00 for the regular fish boil, but that includes desert (cherry pie!), tip, tax and nonalcoholic beverage. We will need a firm count as early as possible.
Tony and Darlene
Old 05-26-2014, 09:40 AM   #118

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Saturday night fish boil

Tony, Do you need a count before the gathering? Should we send you private messages?

Count Fred and Nancy as going. thanks.
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:49 PM   #119

Mount Horeb, Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
Tony, Do you need a count before the gathering? Should we send you private messages?

Count Fred and Nancy as going. thanks.
We need a total on Thursday (June 12th), we only wanted to have folks think about it sooner rather than later. Sorry if I made it sound more urgent than necessary.
They are planning on less than 60 so we have to give them an early heads up.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:33 AM   #120

Mount Horeb, Wisconsin
Eggstravaganza in Egg Harbor

Check this out-http://www.eggharboreggstravaganza.org/ We have to admit we considered this name for the rally, but feel fortunate that the art will be on display around the village when we are there.
Current forecast is 60s and low 50s.
Tony and Darlene