IL 2017, Sep 29-Oct 1: Mississippi River Rendezvous - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2017, 02:16 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 19 ft 2010
Registry
2017, Sep 29-Oct 1: Mississippi River Rendezvous

This year the rally returns to Thomson Causeway Campground operated by the Army Corp of Engineers. I have to use the term "returns" loosely because the rally has never been held at Thomson. It was scheduled for Thomson last year but Ole Man River got our reservation mixed up and flooded us out three days before the start. We were very fortunate to find an alternative and last years rally did not miss a beat.

Thomson, Illinois is a sleepy community between Galena, Illinois and the twin cities of Fulton, Illinois and Clinton, Iowa. The campground is on the Great River Trail and offers the usual amenities that the COE is known for. Here is a link to the event from last year.

The festivities begin on Friday September 29, 2017. The booking window for campsites opens on March 29, 2017. We will be using sites 99-126, but three additional loops are available, two of those are within easy walking distance.

The nearby shelter, Stone, has been reserved for the duration of the rally.

The rally brings a nice mix of fiberglass owners, wannabe owners, traditional trailers and mere mortals caught in the middle of a rally. This will be the third year of the rally. We hope you can join us this year.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:01 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Sounds good, we'll try to be there.
I s'pose there is not too much train traffic there.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 11:28 AM   #3

Name: BARNEY
Trailer: CASITA
Georgia
Just where is thomson causeway ? Sounds like fun!!!!!!!!!
BARNEYCONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 01:02 PM   #4

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Illinois
Paul

Where are you located in Wi.? ; I'm in Galena .
Jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 08:00 PM   #5

Registry
For starters Thomson Causeway is located in Thomson IL. It is about 20 minutes south of Galena Il.

There are railroad tracks at the entrance to the campground but there are very few trains that pass. I believe it is less than two a day. The BNSF mainline goes through Galena but fortunately turns east for Chicago just north of Thomson, that is a heavily travelled line but not an issue at Thomson.

Being from Janesville WI, we camp on the Mississippi quite often. If you want trains try Grants River in Potosi WI. Not sure what the current count is, due to the down swing of oil out of North Dakota, but it was upwards of 45 trains a day. Because there is a signaled crossing in to the campground the trains always had to use their standard two long, one short, one long horn at the crossing. North or Westbound trains would be right about at the campground for the last long horn. Made for some intermittent sleep. I personally liked it as I know others do, but unless you know what you are getting in to it can be upsetting.

So Thomson is quiet, there might be some sounds from tug boats, but the main river channel is quite a bit away, really on the Iowa shore. If you listen you can sometimes hear their engines.

So you like Carp? One time I saw them hauling carp out by the garbage can. Properly prepared, it is considered a delicacy. Iowa Dave may interject with his favorite carp recipe.
Paul Braun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 10:00 AM   #6

Name: Teresa
Trailer: Boler
Indiana
Todd and Teresa Mell booked for Thursday-Sunday in site 116! And with that, our Rally calendar for 2017 is officially all booked!!
Teresa M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 11:13 AM   #7

Registry
Sites are going fast, it appears only a couple are left in the first loop. Lots of Escapes coming but many other brands are represented.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:31 AM   #8

Name: Bill
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
We'll be in site 126 Friday and Saturday.Bill and Sally
HiLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 08:17 PM   #9

Name: Rob and Susan Gordon
Trailer: Casita
Illinois
Site #13 is lucky, right?

I just booked the last site that was in the 3 loop area. It should be a nice weekend weather-wise. The Escape forum has much more chatter about the weekend. I think the Canadian trailers are going to out number the U.S. ones.
RobandSusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 08:04 AM   #10

Registry
Glad to have you coming. There is always a mixed bag of trailers at this rally but you are correct that the trailers build north of the border seem to predominate. It seems people interested in buying such a trailer do make the trek to the rally to see just what models are currently in production.

Since you posted there has been a cancellation and site 101 is now open. If anyone is interested in the weekend program send me a private message with your email address and I will send the agenda. Last time I looked there were also sites in adjacent loops, the campground is compact and three of the four loops are within easy walking distance.

Every year at least a half a dozen wannabes show up for the trailer tours on Saturday afternoon from 12-3.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:05 AM   #11

Name: Rose
Trailer: Dutchman Lit
Iowa
Dear Paul, This is my first egg festival. Just got my 1972 Hunter Junior restored. I am camping at site #47. Would you please e-mail me an agenda of what goes on so I could get a bit prepared. Looking forward to this. Thanks. Rose Magner
Rose Magner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 08:22 AM   #12

Name: Adrian
Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA
Manitoba
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobandSusan View Post
I just booked the last site that was in the 3 loop area. It should be a nice weekend weather-wise. The Escape forum has much more chatter about the weekend. I think the Canadian trailers are going to out number the U.S. ones.
Yes the Canadian made trailers did outnumber the US made ones at the rally. But ours was the only one with Canadians IN a Canadian made one. Paul commented on many of those who come are interested in Escape and in fact one couple attending in another FG brand have just ordered a 21 Escape. Paul also mentioned the train noise. We found that you could hardly hear them unlike other Corps parks along that section of the Mississippi. The tracks are much further from the campground.

A big thanks to Paul for organizing this rally.

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote