ID 2019, Aug 2-4: Yellow Pine Music Festival - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Rallies, Get-togethers, Molded Meets (Archive)
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-24-2019, 09:40 PM   #1

Trailer: 96 Casita Spirit Delux 16 ft
2019, Aug 2-4: Yellow Pine Music Festival

If you live somewhere in the vicinity of northern Utah, we invite you to come along with us to a fun family oriented weekend in the lovely Salmon River area of Idaho. We plan on attending the Yellow Pine Music Festival in Yellow Pine, ID. The dates of the festival are Friday Aug 2 thru Sunday Aug 4. We live in Salt Lake City, UT and plan to drive up leaving at about 9:00 a.m. Wednesday 31 July and staying overnight in Mountain Home, ID. We again leave about 9:00 a.m. and arrive a little after noon in Yellow Pine. We then meet a small group of Casita (or other fiberglass) folks and camp in the National Forest that surrounds the small village. We have been attending this festival for years and never fail to have a great time. If you once attend this family oriented gathering you may be hooked on having a great time in this beautiful little village. Camping is free. Music is free. Water provided from a central location. No dump station. Portable sanitation stations provided.

If you are interested in accompanying us please post here and I will provide our phone number via a PM. Just do a google search for "Yellow Pine Music Festival" and you will find lots of info about it.

Don and Betsy in Salt Lake City
Doninut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 09:11 AM   #2

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
How are the wildfires doing in that area? It seems like every season the smoke is so strong it obscures the mountains. We will be hitting the road July 27 and will going in that direction. It is just so far from Nashville, TN. Maybe next year. We expect to camp near in Yellowstone NP and meet our sons there probably the middle on Aug. We never plan far in advance, just let the wind take us where it will...
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 09:28 AM   #3

Name: Kay
Trailer: Scamp
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doninut View Post
If you live somewhere in the vicinity of northern Utah, we invite you to come along with us to a fun family oriented weekend in the lovely Salmon River area of Idaho. We plan on attending the Yellow Pine Music Festival in Yellow Pine, ID. The dates of the festival are Friday Aug 2 thru Sunday Aug 4. We live in Salt Lake City, UT and plan to drive up leaving at about 9:00 a.m. Wednesday 31 July and staying overnight in Mountain Home, ID. We again leave about 9:00 a.m. and arrive a little after noon in Yellow Pine. We then meet a small group of Casita (or other fiberglass) folks and camp in the National Forest that surrounds the small village. We have been attending this festival for years and never fail to have a great time. If you once attend this family oriented gathering you may be hooked on having a great time in this beautiful little village. Camping is free. Music is free. Water provided from a central location. No dump station. Portable sanitation stations provided.

If you are interested in accompanying us please post here and I will provide our phone number via a PM. Just do a google search for "Yellow Pine Music Festival" and you will find lots of info about it.

Don and Betsy in Salt Lake City
Would love to come this but we just booked an Alaska Cruise. Maybe next year. Just let me know in advance. We live in Florida, and that would make an awesome trip..
Why2kay53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 09:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
How are the wildfires doing in that area? It seems like every season the smoke is so strong it obscures the mountains. We will be hitting the road July 27 and will going in that direction. It is just so far from Nashville, TN. Maybe next year. We expect to camp near in Yellowstone NP and meet our sons there probably the middle on Aug. We never plan far in advance, just let the wind take us where it will...
As long as there are forests there will be forest fires. My first attempt to visit the Yellow Pine music festival was unsuccessful because there was a large fire in the area and they had to cancel and evacuate everyone. Fortunately the village was spared.
Recent local news articles about a couple of fires in Utah but nothing really outrageous. Both were either contained or near contained.
Have a great time in Yellowstone!
Don
Old 07-25-2019, 09:41 PM   #5

Enjoy your Alaska cruise. Many like to tow their trailer up there but somehow I just don't have the desire. I would also opt for another cruise also.
Don
Old 07-26-2019, 01:46 AM   #6

Tennessee
Thanks Don. We drove through the upwind side of a wildfire in AZ one year, with smoldering fires on each side of us, progressively getting worse until, finally realizing what was happening, we turned around. We were out of cell phone range and did not have the radio on. We have had to alter our route more than once due to forest fires. So I may be overly sensitive to the issue.

We flew to AK and rented a class C motorhome. The downside is that you are restricted to paved roads only, by contract. So the next time we go to AK we will drag our TT with our 4x4 truck so we can go where we want, as long as we want. A word of caution: It is almost impossible to find a campsite along a river during the salmon run unless you reserve far in advance. Also, to get to anyplace really interesting you will have to drive on washboarding roads.
Old 07-26-2019, 08:07 AM   #7

Name: P
Trailer: Casita
Washington
I'd like to go to this sometime, but it competes with another music event that is easier to get to and is put on by a group that I used to belong to.

My theory on forest fires is that eventually, everything is going to be burned up so smoke won't be a problem. Remember to have an escape route, a safety zone and if you can, head into the black.
slowpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 08:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpat View Post
I'd like to go to this sometime, but it competes with another music event that is easier to get to and is put on by a group that I used to belong to.

My theory on forest fires is that eventually, everything is going to be burned up so smoke won't be a problem. Remember to have an escape route, a safety zone and if you can, head into the black.
Hi Pat
Just wondering what is the name of the event you mentioned and where. Also what "head into the black" means. Maybe the financial terms of being "in the black" rather than being "in the red".
Don
Old 07-26-2019, 09:33 AM   #9

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Scamp
Idaho
Registry
InciWeb

Use this site:
https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/
to learn the latest news on wildfires anywhere in the U.S.
Gordon in Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 02:26 PM   #10

Gordon
Thanks for the link. I will keep it my "favorites" for future reference. The only thing anywhere near Yellow Pine is a "prescribed" fire.
Don
Old 07-26-2019, 03:12 PM   #11

Tennessee
Pat probably meant by "Head to the black" to drive or run to the part of the forest that has already been burned black. That is what we did. Dirt road, a bit of wind at our backs, lots of smoke, then small flames, which suddenly got larger as the trees and and grass had only started to burn, so we turned around and headed back into the black, burned out area of the forest. We were pulling a Casita at the time. Very interesting time for a bit.
Old 07-26-2019, 08:54 PM   #12

Name: P
Trailer: Casita
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doninut View Post
Hi Pat
Just wondering what is the name of the event you mentioned and where. Also what "head into the black" means. Maybe the financial terms of being "in the black" rather than being "in the red".
Don
If my pickup is OK--I have something that is getting checked out on it, I will go to the Winlock Pickerfest in Winlock, WA. I don't live close to it anymore, but want to keep in touch with folks there.

Like others have said, head into the black means to get into a well burned area if a fire is headed your way and escape looks to be problematic. You'll get dirty and might get hot, but you should survive. I used to go (reluctantly) out on fire crews when times were desperate --lots of fires but not enough bodies on them. I did not enjoy it. It was interesting to sit in a large meadow, which was our escape area, and watch the trees crown out around us. Digital cameras were nonexistent then and most of us didn't carry a camera because it would get dirty, or take up more room in the pack. That incident would have made some great pictures.

Unfortunately, a fire has broken out near Stehekin, which is at the head of Lake Chelan and is putting up smoke. Our valley was a bit smoky for a bit today most likely from a persnickety brush fire in the south. We have winds arriving tomorrow and after the Tuesday night lightning show, that may cause more fires to erupt. Lightning strikes often lay hidden, smoldering a bit for weeks and then erupt when wind and dryness happen. That'll be tomorrow.

Sigh...
slowpat is offline   Reply With Quote