IA 2019, May 8-12: McGregor, Iowa Pikes Peak S.P. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2019, 11:30 AM   #21

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Perusing the seed catalogs, have fishing reels out for new line. Meanwhile the countryside looks reminiscent of two famous movies “Fargo” and Dr. Zvago”. But as my dad used to say, the rays are getting stronger and every one of these counts off.
We will not be hard to find. If you’re reading a book and the sky goes dark, it’s not an eclipse, it means I’m standing behind you.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 08:07 PM   #22

Iowa
Pikes Peak

We got our registration taken care of today. Arriving on the 8th of May and leaving on the 12th. $16 per night, plus $6 registration fee using the number Corky posted in his first post. There's water available but not right at the site so fill up before you set up. And if you forget or run low during the meet, stop by and Iowa Dave will loan you a couple jugs and you can tote your water. There are a lot of fun things to do in the area. Looking forward to this event. Conveniently located for Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois and Iowa owners and worth the trip for anyone.
Iowa Dave
Old 02-09-2019, 08:58 AM   #23

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17
Mount Horeb, Wisconsin
We will be in site #27, thanks to Corky and Darlene for organizing this rally. Looking forward to our initial trip in the spring!
Tony and the other Darlene
Tony Nowak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 10:06 AM   #24

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Conveniently located for Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois and Iowa owners and worth the trip for anyone.
Iowa Dave
Looks like about a 4 hour drive for me. Bad timing though, as I will be leaving for Utah that weekend. Too bad, as that bluff country area is beautiful.

Have fun everybody!
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 01:25 PM   #25

Name: Dave & Kathie
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21
Oregon
Registry
Wish we could join you. We camped there several years ago. Loved the park and the charming town of McGregor! Have fun!

Dave and Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 01:57 PM   #26

Name: Gary
Trailer: UHaul CT13
Iowa
Gary & Elaine Roys........site 32 for the nights of May 10 & 11.

U-Haul CT13........
Old 02-11-2019, 07:02 PM   #27

Name: Jeff & Katie
Trailer: Escape 17'
Iowa
Registry
Pikes Peak

Jeff and Kathy--Scamp 13 in site 29... This will be our first fiberglass RV gathering in the US.. went to Boler one last year in Canada...Excited it is near us (from central Iowa). looking forward to it!!
soseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:15 PM   #28

Iowa
Looking forward to meeting you. The mature oak woods combined with the first couple weeks in May is an excellent time of year to look for migrating warblers if you are bird watchers. Nothing like a cerulean warbler hopping through a big oak tree or an American redstart flitting about with his unique orange and black paint job.
Iowa Dave
Old 02-12-2019, 07:28 PM   #29

Name: Jayne
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Secured my reservation, site #28. Excited to attend my first egg rally. Im new to camping, and can't wait to get my new to me 2013 13ft scamp out of hibernation. Looking forward to meeting everyone!
Julia2256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 09:17 AM   #30

Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Site # 64
Arriving = Tuesday May 7th
Departure = Monday May 13th

Hopefully Iowa Dave will be leading a tour of all the wonderful local attractions and natural wonders !!

Steve , Linda & Axzel the dog
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 03:00 PM   #31

Iowa
Hi Steve
I see a side trip in your future to Polashek’s locker in Protivin for some Jaternice and jelita. I will attempt to compile a see and do list from my limited experience of visiting this area every year for the past 55 years.
Iowa Dave
Old 02-13-2019, 05:24 PM   #32

Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Hi Steve
I see a side trip in your future to Polashek’s locker in Protivin for some Jaternice and jelita. I will attempt to compile a see and do list from my limited experience of visiting this area every year for the past 55 years.
Iowa Dave
Thank you Dave , I hope this rally is a success like the Mississippi River Rendevous . Your knowledge of Iowa and nature will be a huge asset in show casing the beauty that is Iowa . We are planning on holding a morning coffee for the rally attendees but we need to run it past Corky . Please let us know if there is a good bakery in the area where we can get some treats to go with the coffee.

Counting the days
Steve & Linda

I’ve been shoveling / blowing snow and clearing off my roof for 3 days . Looking outside it’s hard to believe that it will be green by early May but then again the rally is in Iowa , the Caribbean of the North !!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 10:28 AM   #33

Name: Kirsti
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Madison
I just joined FGRV & registered at Pike's Peak

I'm looking forward to meeting all of you, and have made reservations at site 25 for the nights of 5/10 and 5/11. My husband won't be able to join me, so my small pup and I will be there to join in the pot luck fun and soak up the sunshine of other eggs around us. This is a beautiful campground--we were there last year and just loved it.

_kj_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 12:26 PM   #34

Iowa
Zeb slept here

Thomas Jefferson commissioned 5 explorations, the most famous of which was the Lewis and Clark expedition. Two others were led by Zebulon Pike. One came up the Mississippi River and into present day Minnesota, the other more famously to the Southwest. Hence Pikes Peak in Iowa and Pikes Peak in Colorado. When you stand on the overlook and view the country below you’ll see the beauty of the upper Midwest in its spring glory much like Pike and his crew did over 200 years ago. From the panoramic overlook you can walk 50 yards into the woods and see woodland flowers including the May Apples and Jack in the Pulpit. Grab a handful of forest duff, put it to your face and breathe deeply. Scratch your back like a bear on the shagbark hickories. Listen for the call of an unfamiliar songbird that will send you looking for your Cornell record and a turntable to spin it. Spring, it’s not for pessimism, but for lovers.
Iowa Dave
Old 02-15-2019, 04:08 PM   #35

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Wish we could be there. My university extended the semester farther into the spring this year.

It would also be the time of the year that mushrooms could be found. Every spring, I get nostalgic when the spring winds blow. We always hunted morels when I was a kid. I imagine it will be hard to find some in the park though.

I might recommend touring McGregor. Quaint town, although I am not sure how they recovered from extensive damage a year or two ago.

Prairie Du Chien across the river has the Villa Louis that is wonderful to tour.

Nearby, you can find Effigy Mounds Park where you can tour the visitor's building and hike the mounds and Spook Cave where you can ride a boat into the cave.

Nearby also is Elkader, Iowa that is also quaint with nice places to eat and shop and an Opera House that might have something going on (Kevin was the lead in "Guys and Dolls" and "Sound of Music.". It has the Turkey River for canoeing and a fairly new white water feature in town, below the famous Keystone Bridge. We lived there for 15 years and both our kids were born there. It is named after Abdel Kader, an Algerian freedom fighter.

Decorah has a Norwegian Museum, Luther College, Dunning's Spring, Ice Cave, a wonderful bike trail, trout streams and the famous Decorah eagles where you can almost walk below the nest on the bike path. The babies should be about 2 months old by that time, if the new male succeeds in his responsibility. Kevin grew up here. We love to canoe the Upper Iowa in Decorah.

If you travel south, you can find Dubuque and Galena in IL. Travel east and you find Mineral Point, WI where there is are historical buildings, celebrating the town's Cornish heritage.

Boy, I am talking myself into figuring out how we can at least make it there for the weekend.

CindyL
Old 02-15-2019, 05:44 PM   #36

Iowa
The Morel of the story

There’s a lot of public ground in the area around Pikes Peak where morel mushrooms can be hunted. The Yellow River State Forest is not very far to the north too. A warm rain coming up out of the south and a couple sunny days are needed to pop those little suckers. Dr Lois Tiffany from Iowa State University studied fungi and was known world wide as an entertaining lecturer. You might say she was a fun gi(rl). Sorry Those are May Apples and the site is about right for morels. Look under dead elm trees with the bark falling off.

Iowa Dave
Attached Thumbnails
1A0A5B8D-E3DF-4CFB-8EF4-5E47996CB3EE.jpg  
Old 02-15-2019, 06:22 PM   #37

Registry
We always found more morels under elms that were just dying, but that was 50 years ago. I always keyed onto those May apples too a bit when hunting. Kevin and I found a bunch above Dunnings Springs when in college at Decorah. Mom rolled them in egg and cracker crumbs and fried them in butter, until she began rolling them in egg and flour and fried the in butter. Like Dave says, rain and then sun, preferably one of the hot, humid Iowa spring days. Dig under the dead leaves.

CindyL
Old 02-15-2019, 06:44 PM   #38

Iowa
Decorah

Mabes Pizza, Vesterheim museum ( Norwegian/American) culture, feed the trout at the hatchery. It’s a little ways over to Decorah but there are some neat things to do there too. Cindy, you didn’t mention the Redhorse sucker fishing contest at Elkader and the delight of consuming deep fat fried jalapeño sucker balls.
Iowa Dave
Old 02-15-2019, 06:56 PM   #39

Registry
Oh, God, how could I have forgotten Mabes? And don't forget Ronnies rolls!

And for the trout hatchery, I just figured if you looked for the eagles, you would spend some time in the area. If you stay long enough, maybe you can see a parent fishing in the retention pond at the hatchery.

As for the fishing events at Elkader, that might be since our time there. Not familiar.

CindyL
Old 02-16-2019, 09:06 AM   #40

Registry
Kevin read my previous posting, so we are now signed up for Thursday through Sun for site 62. I am glad they put a fence around that overlook over the river. When I was a kid, I was standing out on a big rock over the river. Someone bumped me from behind and had my uncle not grabbed me, I would have gone over.

Kevin grew up in Decorah while I grew up in Anamosa.

CindyL