IA 2019, May 8-12: McGregor, Iowa Pikes Peak S.P. - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Rallies, Get-togethers, Molded Meets (Archive)
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-17-2019, 04:39 PM   #61

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Dyersville is not all that far away if you want to see the Field of Dreams ball field.

My sister posted that she visited a new place in McGregor that just opened with a Sunday Bloody Mary Bar: The Old Man River. I think it closed and has now reopened.

CindyL
Old 03-17-2019, 05:11 PM   #62

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Old Man River

Good to hear the joint is back up and running. Seems like it's been closed for a year, or 2. I have had a pleasant time there, 5 years ago, a good meal and refreshing libation. I recall it is in an old bank building. Just down the street is a recommended by me Mexican resturant. McGregor is a fun town to explore. Small, "old", but interesting.
Tom Haberski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 07:04 PM   #63

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Did the tornado from 2017 damage the building, and it got repaired? I know that the devastation was pretty bad in McGregor.

I can't remember if someone mentioned the riverboat. And look for the Pink Elephant. Kevin played piano and sang at the Pink Elephant restaurant after our son was born, and I took a year off. Brought in a bit of extra money.

CindyL
Old 03-17-2019, 07:25 PM   #64

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Some of the buildings were badly damaged but most were not that all affected. I was up there a couple months after the wind and looked at a rubble pile. There wasn’t enough mortar on those old bricks to talk about. Deferred tuckpointing didn’t do them any favors. Not sure about the bank building or any others, never really spent a lot of time in town. The pharmacy used to be owned by a fellow from my sister in laws “town” of Tipton and they knew each other but otherwise I never ate or drank there much.
Iowa Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 08:22 PM   #65

McGregor, Iowa

The Old Man River brew pub wasn't damaged by the tornado....probably just the seasonal nature of tourism hurt it and ultimately closed it a few years ago. I was through town after the tornado, a couple of months later, like Dave, and concur with his views. Some damage, the downtown library got roughed up with roof and trim damage, the old brick faced building next to it gone, other damage visible, but not a catastrophic event like others suffer.

McGregor is still standing.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:25 AM   #66

Name: Corky
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16ft.
Illinois
Hi Dave & Rita, Rob & Ann we are back in the ice box of home. Darlene said the palm trees ande flowers at Cajun in Biloxi ,Ms.She Miss. Morni9ng coffee yes we will have a 20 cup pot with us and we can get donuts at Quick Star in McGregor down town. Any onewho wants to help great no problem. Fri. Night Pot Luck , Sat. tour campers for all that want to par take.
Courtland PieperCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 09:37 AM   #67

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtland PieperCo View Post
Hi Dave & Rita, Rob & Ann we are back in the ice box of home. Darlene said the palm trees ande flowers at Cajun in Biloxi ,Ms.She Miss. Morni9ng coffee yes we will have a 20 cup pot with us and we can get donuts at Quick Star in McGregor down town. Any onewho wants to help great no problem. Fri. Night Pot Luck , Sat. tour campers for all that want to par take.
We will be bring a 35 cup electric coffee pot , Cameron coffee , sugar , cream , cups , napkins , spoons , fruit juice and will kick in for rolls ( If that meets with your approval ) We are more than willing to help

Steve & Linda
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 08:34 AM   #68

Illinois
Steve that sounds great. I check on our pot it is 40 cup. Look for the clown off main st on the wagon. He went through the storm. Dave did you look at the shelter when you were there? I will have to check to see if the fire place is in use.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:01 AM   #69

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Steve that sounds great. I check on our pot it is 40 cup. Look for the clown off main st on the wagon. He went through the storm. Dave did you look at the shelter when you were there? I will have to check to see if the fire place is in use.
We have 3 or 4 large coffee pots , one of which is a 55 cup .
If I can find it I will bring it , it’s up in the attic some place if I remember correctly . I plan on bringing a large jug of V8 for Iowa Dave
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 10:33 AM   #70

Iowa
Quote:
Hi Corky
We looked the shelter over when we were there. There are 6 8 foot picnic tables under cover and 4 or 5 more around the three picnic grills. An overhead“pergola”’ connects the picnic area to the adjacent modern restroom. There is a pretty good sized fireplace about like what we had at Thompson causeway or Scott County Park.
There were a few pieces of good firewood setting around and some half burnt stuff in the fireplace so I’m sure it’s functional and will work well for us.
I think we can probably find some reasonably priced local firewood like we did at Thompson last year. This old Bohemie has a real tough time with $6 a tiny bundle. I know a logger up at New Albin but that’s. a little far to run. Here’s a few pics.
Iowa Dave
Attached Thumbnails
0FCF8AC6-967B-440A-8801-6844F1964627.jpg   BB9626A8-B391-45C2-A579-F41F30D23EEB.jpg  

AA9ACC07-DC67-4B1E-9BC7-1846FE056460.jpg   9C84C7E2-30B1-45F0-8483-CB6C044352AC.jpg  

Old 03-20-2019, 08:55 AM   #71

Illinois
Look good Dave thank you for the pictures.
Old 03-23-2019, 11:41 AM   #72

Name: Bryan
Trailer: Casita "Cozy-Casa"
Central Virginia
Site 52 5/6-12 for us.
Old 03-23-2019, 12:16 PM   #73

Iowa
This next week the local Audubon meeting will feature a fellow lecturing on Red Shouldred Hawks. I plan to attend. The speaker lives in McGregor. I plan to talk to him about our rally and learn what I can about the local avian fauna and the best places to observe. This man is a renown expert on warblers too. I’m hoping my enthusiasm and interest will be enough to gain some insights. I’m going to ask him about a led bird hike on site or nearby when the rally is going on. I will keep everyone posted on this site. Otherwise, if we are interested the Director at the Driftless Wetland center indicated to me that she would be glad to present a program about the area if a group is Interested. Lots to do in NE Iowa. Right now, McGregor and Marquette are preparing for flooding. It will nor impact the park but could impact some approach routes. I think we will be fine and know that there’s a “high ground” route to this park and the CG on a good state highway so don’t worry about that.
Let me know if questions.
Iowa Dave
Old 03-23-2019, 07:53 PM   #74

Work the issue, Dave

I'd be interested in either bird talk...Driftless Wetland or the bird man. I'd heard him on a radio radio interview once and he sure sounded like an engaging fellow.
What is his name? I'll try and search NPR to hear it again.

I sure hope the river behaves in 6 weeks so we can get across it from Wisconsin.
Old 03-23-2019, 09:43 PM   #75

Iowa
Birds

Hi Tom
The fellow I’m going to hear is Tom Stravers. I’ll keep you posted. A local writer from Cedar Rapids, Orlan Love from the Cedar Rapids Gazette did a story with him a while back when the state bought an additional 309 plus acres at Yellow River.
Iowa Dave
Old 03-27-2019, 09:30 PM   #76

Name: Shirley
Trailer: Escape 21, formerly Casita SD
Missouri
First time in area!

Site #53 for Larry and Shirley. May 8-12. Excited to see that part of the country and meet other fiberglass owners!
ssatkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 09:39 AM   #77

Name: Gary
Trailer: UHaul CT13
Iowa
Just an update, here.

Having carpal tunnel surgery the end of this week, so just cancelled our reservation for this meet.

Site 32 is available.........

Gary
Old 04-30-2019, 12:03 PM   #78

Iowa
Cancellation

Sorry to hear you won’t be able to make it. When I worked as a production butcher on a 97 person hog kill gang, carpal tunnel was common especially when folks did not keep
a sharp knife or had to work in cold water with both hands for 8 hours every night. Once in a while someone would get tricked into agreeing to do both wrists at the same time. This was at the suggestion of the company “doctor” who convinced them they’re be off work for a shorter time than if
they had one wrist done at a time. Obviously not being able to use either hand for a time after the surgery, made for difficult day to day living. Only time I ever saw people drink beer out of a can with a straw. Good luck and follow the post operation therapy. Hope to see you at another event.
Iowa Dave
Old 05-02-2019, 03:45 PM   #79

Name: Heidi
Trailer: Looking
Texas
Will there be a time where people can take a peek inside of someone else’s trailer? My husband and I have seen one Casita, but we would like to see other layouts before we purchase one.
Heidi
heidiawkhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 04:03 PM   #80

Tour time

I do not know if a day or time is set-up for viewing other rigs, but I'd assume if folks are around the trailer they'd be glad to show and tell if asked. Friendly folks abound.