AL 2020, March 11-15: Gunter Hill Alabama - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 02-15-2020, 03:31 PM   #41

Name: jim
Trailer: 2019 2ndG Escape21 DeJa View pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I am totally confused here as to where in he## is everyone. One thread mentions Pickensville,Al for this dates, this thread mentions Gunther RV Park near Prattville,Al and finally there is a Gunther Hill COE, Montgomery, Alabama ???
A link would certain take away this confusion as to where the final resting place is located....
thank you in advance
Old 02-15-2020, 06:38 PM   #42

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I am totally confused here as to where in he## is everyone. One thread mentions Pickensville,Al for this dates, this thread mentions Gunther RV Park near Prattville,Al and finally there is a Gunther Hill COE, Montgomery, Alabama ???
A link would certain take away this confusion as to where the final resting place is located....
thank you in advance
For years the GE&H rally was held every year around St Patricks Day at
Gunther Hill COE campgrounds in Prattville Alabama ( Near Selma / Montgomery Alabama )
For some reason that rally changed venues and split into two different gatherings .
We attended the GE&H rally for several years but it was a long drive for us especially in the winter so it got dropped off our itinerary

Kip in Georgia would probably be the best source for accurate information .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 06:46 PM   #43

Name: Robnmer
Trailer: 17' Casita Liberty Deluxe
Florida
Quote:
thank you in advance
Sorry if there is confusion, but the OFFICIAL Green Eggs and Ham rally, scheduled for Pickensville, died last fall when there were some issues with campground reservations. There may be some folks who are still going there, but there are a good many people who are going back to Gunter Hill COE (Platteville/Montgomery) for an unstructured GATHERING (not a rally with planned activities) the week of March 8 - 15. That is what you are seeing on this thread. Join in!
Robnmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 07:58 PM   #44

Trailer: 17' Casita
Quote:
thank you in advance
You have it correct. There will be folks at Pickensville, Millers Ferry, and Gunter Hill. All COE parks. Take your pick. It's now called the Cracked Egg Rally.
Jimmy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 07:20 PM   #45

Name: Jim
Trailer: In the market
Alabama
Gunter Hill camping

Hey folks:
I am currently trying to find out more about ultralight RV campers. Since I am basically across the river, would it be appropriate/permissible to visit during the campout and perhaps talk to some of you?
jmplott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 05:32 AM   #46

Name: Bill
Trailer: Escape 21
Georgia
Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmplott View Post
Hey folks:
I am currently trying to find out more about ultralight RV campers. Since I am basically across the river, would it be appropriate/permissible to visit during the campout and perhaps talk to some of you?
Absolutely. Last year a couple from New Orleans drove up, stayed in a local motel and looked at Casitas. We met them again the following weekend and they drove home with our Casita.

I've got an Escape 21 and will be in site 8 in the Catoma loop. I think you will find more fiberglass trailers than ultralights.
GeorgiaBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 11:38 AM   #47

Name: Kip
Trailer: 2003 Casita 17' SD Deluxe, Towed by '09 Honda Ridgeline.
Georgia
Quote:
thank you in advance
You can go to the Casita travel Trailer WEBSITE forum, upcoming events , G&H thread for information on the events leading to the cancellation of GE&H 2020.

Skip forward to the first post of this thread you are reading right now. As you read all 3 pages of post, you can enjoy how this gathering developed.

In a nutshell three of us couples decided we would go back to Gunter Hill even as plans for Pickensville were developing. Reason being that Pickensville being farther than we were willing to drive.

We decided which sites we wanted and discovered they were already reserved.
HMMM...! Some like minded folks beat us to it.

This thing grew because a few folks made reservations and it began snow balling. Feel that MOST molded FG folks enjoy the company of other FG folks. We will find or invent things to do.

This GATHERING started with no PLANNED events. There will likely be dozens of mini events involving less folks at each, some friends may be gathered around some type of flame. Be it a candle, a lantern , a little red propane fed portable campfire, REAL campfires, AND whatever can be dreamed up.

As of an hour ago all reservable Catoma sites are reserved. Although site 32 looks questionable? It appears that 10ish Antioch sites are reserved also.

Come join us.

k
Kip in Ga. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 08:18 AM   #48
vin

Name: vince
Trailer: escape
Georgia
GEH confusion

I hope we are in the right location having booked #75 catoma loop at montgomery a month ago. This has been a very confusing get together with people going to 3 different locations??? Hopefully the weather will be good.
vin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 01:07 PM   #49

Name: Larry
Trailer: Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe (aka: Tweaker's Casita)
Southwest Ohio
Registry
Pilgrimage from Ohio

I have reserved site #69 on the Catoma loop. I will again be making the pilgrimage from Ohio arriving on March 11 and departing on the 15th.

Last year was the first time I attended “Green Eggs & Ham” and I had a GREAT time. At the end of that rally, the announcement was that we might have outgrown Gunter Hill and the advance plan was to have this year’s rally at Pickensville. To that end, Jeannine (aka Hildaga) opened the 2020 rally page on FiberglassRV in August but, about five weeks later, she backed away from the coordination role due to reservation issues.

Kip then jumped into the gap and opened this thread and a companion thread on the Casita Forum about meeting unstructurably once again at Gunter Hill.

I'm looking forward to another trip to Alabama to see a lot of folks again!
LarryB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 04:16 PM   #50

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by vin View Post
I hope we are in the right location having booked #75 catoma loop at montgomery a month ago. This has been a very confusing get together with people going to 3 different locations??? Hopefully the weather will be good.
Vince, site 75 on the Catoma Loop is the right place for this gathering.

3/11 thru 3/15 Are the dates.

Good to have you joining us

BTW: LARRY B pretty much covered the chain of events of how this came about.
Old 03-05-2020, 12:55 PM   #51

Florida
Gunter Hill closure

Gunter Hill is closed today through Wednesday 3/11. All reservations including any of those dates have been canceled and refunded. The river is forecast to crest on Tuesday the10th. If that happens, the campground will open on the 12th. We have made a new reservation for a shorter stay and are planning to still make the trip.
Old 03-05-2020, 01:01 PM   #52

Florida
Hi, Kip, assume you got the news about Gunter Hill. I just posted at the end of the thread and also on Casita thread regarding closure and that we made new reservations for a shorter stay. Will see what happens.
Old 03-05-2020, 02:31 PM   #53

Name: Tom
Trailer: 21' Escape
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robnmer View Post
Gunter Hill is closed today through Wednesday 3/11. All reservations including any of those dates have been canceled and refunded. The river is forecast to crest on Tuesday the10th. If that happens, the campground will open on the 12th. We have made a new reservation for a shorter stay and are planning to still make the trip.
I just spoke with the campground and they confirmed that approximately half of the sites are closed. However, the other sites are still open. As stated above, they indicated that the river is forecasted to crest on Tuesday the 10th., so more sites could be affected. If the site that you have reserved becomes flooded, they will cancel your reservation and notify you via email. Luckily, our site is still open and we plan to arrive Wed. (3/11).
Old 03-05-2020, 02:33 PM   #54

Georgia
Quote:
Hi, Kip, assume you got the news about Gunter Hill. I just posted at the end of the thread and also on Casita thread regarding closure and that we made new reservations for a shorter stay. Will see what happens.
Your post is the first i've heard about it. Nothing on the Gunter Hill site about it.

Looking at the availability calender is a mess and jumbled. My site 15 is still reserved 3/11 - 3/15, but can't even find others that are higher up the hill and farther away from the water.

Is there a place I can go to, to read the official info?
Old 03-05-2020, 02:47 PM   #55

Georgia
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHiker View Post
I just spoke with the campground and they confirmed that approximately half of the sites are closed. However, the other sites are still open. As stated above, they indicated that the river is forecasted to crest on Tuesday the 10th., so more sites could be affected. If the site that you have reserved becomes flooded, they will cancel your reservation and notify you via email. Luckily, our site is still open and we plan to arrive Wed. (3/11).
Thanks Tom! RECON it be a wait and see now.
Old 03-05-2020, 02:52 PM   #56

Florida
Kip, best bet is to call Gunter Hill directly. They can confirm the status of your site. However, they are going to make a decision regarding the entire park tomorrow, so the situation is still fluid. We are on the water so obviously that would make us vulnerable. But we were able to make a new reservation beginning 2 days later. BTW there WAS a notice on the site earlier today but they removed it for whatever reason.
Old 03-06-2020, 10:18 AM   #57

Georgia
With all the confusion surrounding GH, WE are still determined to go if the park is Open.

Meanwhile for future reference : Three couples of us have started visiting VETERANS STATE PARK A few miles off I-75 in Southern Ga. Near CORDELE GA.
It is about a 2.5 hour drive south of Atlanta.
Might be nice to keep in mind for future reference.

If interested, leave me a PM , and we can chat about it.

Kip
Old 03-06-2020, 11:45 AM   #58

Florida
According to the park, things are looking better for next week. The low sites along the water (20's) will be closed until Thursday. All the rest are OK for the whole week. We just changed to site 43 and will be arriving Tuesday as originally planned. Some folks are going to Miller's Ferry instead but it appears Catoma is still pretty full so looking forward to a good sized "gathering." See you soon. BTW, been to GaVeterans many times.Nice campground!
Old 03-06-2020, 12:00 PM   #59

Georgia
Quote:
According to the park, things are looking better for next week. The low sites along the water (20's) will be closed until Thursday. All the rest are OK for the whole week. We just changed to site 43 and will be arriving Tuesday as originally planned. Some folks are going to Miller's Ferry instead but it appears Catoma is still pretty full so looking forward to a good sized "gathering." See you soon. BTW, been to Ga Veterans many times.Nice campground!
Thanks for the update.

This might be a good opportunity for anyone that cancelled or registered on the Antioch loop to get a site at Catoma. I

BTW: Is Robnmer your name?

k
Old 03-06-2020, 01:52 PM   #60

Florida
Robert and Merryn