Any Coloradoians interested? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2008, 10:59 AM   #21

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Hi all -

We hope this rally comes together and a good time is had by all. Unhappily, family matters will keep us in California until 9/16, and that will put us in the Rockies too late ... too cold for D.

However it goes, keep posting all the info - thanx, L 'n D
Old 08-15-2008, 04:39 PM   #22

Trailer: Casita
Quote:
Any Colorado Egger's interested in getting a rally started in Colorado or even just a Egg get together? I am thinking of fall or spring, but hey we could do both If interested, speak up............. Robin
I'd attend a west slope destination probably... its "almost" my backyard.
ronsmith100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 04:40 PM   #23

Quote:
Grand Mesa might be interesting - it's awfully empty, with a myriad of lakes. No hookps (that I'm aware of) and lots of basic camping, good fishing, moose, elk. Far enough from civilization that many coloradans never get there.
September is less likely to get snowed in anywhere, but we have gotten heavy snow here in early Sept in the past....

Barring
I second that! especially the trout part.
ronsmith100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 09:29 PM   #24

Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')
Robin

I just returned from three days of camping at Camp Hale. If folks are interested in a Colorado get together at a dispersed camping facility Camp Hale would be great. There is enough room for hundreds (literally) of campers. Camp Hale is located on Hwy 24 between Leadville and Minturn about 5 miles west of the Tennessee Pass summit.

This is where the 10th Mountain Division trained during WWII. All the buildings have been razed so there is a lot of flat area for camping and some big areas that could hold at least 30 rigs.

Best part - no cost for camping in the dispersed camping area. They do have a groomed camping area of about 15 sites that costs $14 a day and requires reservations. The groomed area does not have any utilities so I couldn't see any advantage to it over the dispersed camping area.

There is no electricity, water or sewer and no well water available on site so everyone would have to bring their own supplies.

I'll get some pictures processed (shrunk down to a reasonable size) and post them here tomorrow.
Orlen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 09:49 PM   #25

Trailer: 1987 13 ft Casita
Camping. Isn't that what I got my camper for? I've had a terrible time trying to do that though.

Was going to go up to Shrine Pass but the weather forecast was all rain! Stayed home with a cocoa.

I wouldn't be able to join you guys since my work schedule includes Saturdays. When I was up on Grand Mesa it was pretty cool. I was boondocking in my tent at the time. Sat out in the moonless night with my wine and watched an owl "shadow" my dog as she wandered around the meadow. Very nice place to hang.

Not to put a damper on things but hunting season actually starts August 30. Archery first. Muzzleloaders start mid September and rifle in mid October. Bear season is all of September. At least with a bow and arrow they have to see you well before they let loose.

Paula
Paula Bindrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 09:23 AM   #26

Trailer: 2006 (25B21RB) 21 ft Bigfoot / Dodge 2500 Diesel
Robin,

We have been hoping for a Colorado gathering. So, count on us making every effort to attend.

A fall get together will be short notice for us and may not be able to attend. A spring get together would be a for sure.

Let us know how we can help.

Dean & Mary
Dean & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 04:11 PM   #27

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe / Infiniti SUV
Quote:
I called the Blue Spruce and they said 20/night and free use of the pavillion and dining hall - so its a great deal if it works.
Ken J.
Blue Spruce is a nice campground, easy to get to from Durango. We've not camped there, but some of our local Good Sam chapter members go there frequently and recommend it.

Another nice Four Corners campground is Priest Gulch, beautiful setting right on the Dolores River, north of Dolores, CO. Nearby attractions are Mesa Verde N.P. and the Anasazi Cultural Center at Dolores. (The latter has great interactive displays for kids.) Priest Gulch is high on our "must do" list, but I understand reservations are sometimes hard to get.
George Cathcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 07:42 PM   #28

I've stayed at Priest Gulch and yes it is a very nice campground - highly recommend it.

I suggested Blue Spruce because I know the owner really well and would give us a reasonable price + free use of the pavillion.

Ken J.
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 09:01 PM   #29

Trailer: 2007 Casita
I am back................. Sorry I haven't been around, When not taking the Casita out for a few different 2 week adventures and moving ( to an area that doesn't have the best Internet Access available.) Finally got that taken care of yesterday! Whooo Hoooo! Anyway, I think trying to put something together for fall would be very short notice for surrounding Fiberglass friends that may want to attend. I Pm'ed several others and suggested maybe getting a quick fall campout together and plan a Spring/Summer gathering. How does that sound for others. Personally after spending a week (last week infact) without services, I would prefer a campground with some services. The hauling water thing about killed me. I am still up for the Sothern Colorado gathering ( maybe for spring), but would love input from others that think they might attend. As for a quick fall campout, I am thinking if we did something more near where people live. As for the hunting season that Paula talked about, that could be an issue as well as weather if we were to go south or the western slope. So I guess lets see how many would like to have a fall campout, Due to iffy weather and maybe the hunting season conflict maybe we should hold it nearer to the east side of the Rockies. Let me know if you have any suggestions. We are always up for the Poudre River area but I know there have to be other great campgrounds around the frontrange. Let me know if you want to attend and where you suggest to camp.

As for a Spring/Summer get together, if everyone likes the idea of Southern Colorado, we could start looking at availability for late May early Juneish dates. Any months work better for others? Robin
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 07:38 AM   #30

If it makes a difference - I'll be in the Fort Collins area weekend of 9/13 if that works for anyone.....

Ken J.
Old 08-30-2008, 07:48 PM   #31

Quote:
If it makes a difference - I'll be in the Fort Collins area weekend of 9/13 if that works for anyone.....

Ken J.

Works for me, anyone else up for a campout? Robin
Old 09-02-2008, 10:32 AM   #32

Trailer: 2006 (25B21RB) 21 ft Bigfoot / Dodge 2500 Diesel
A lot of good options are being suggested and we look forward to a get together.

Mary and I will be camping at Eleven Mile State Park September 8, 9 and 10 (Mon, Tues & Wed). We have reservation at the North Shore campground, Loop D, site 260. All are welcome to join us.

It is not very crowed there on weekdays and there will be plenty of sites to choose from without making reservations. Loop D does not have electric, other loops have electric.

Eleven Mile reservoir is located approximately an hour west out of Colorado Springs off of hwy 24. Let me know if you need more information.

Dean
Dean & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 11:35 AM   #33

Dean and Mary, that sounds fun, but we will be at Pueblo West visiting some friends. Hopefully at some point all of us Colorado people can get a camp out together. I guess we just need to pick a date for next spring/summer and go for it. Rkg
Old 09-03-2008, 04:36 PM   #34

Another idea - I'm pretty sure I'll be in the Colorado Springs area weekend of 9/26 - I'm usually not up that way very often - just happens to work out that way...

Ken J.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:27 PM   #35

Anyone else up to meeting up with KenJ? We just got home today from a quick trip to Pueblo Lake (ick) but Dh was already asking where we were going next. Does anyone know of campgrounds in the Springs area. I was thinking of laying low for a few weeks before I head out for my 30th class reunion (ewwww). But what the heck, I am just not ready to put the Casita into the barn yet. Let me know! Robin
Old 09-10-2008, 11:46 AM   #36

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Arrow

Quote:
.......Does anyone know of campgrounds in the Springs area..... Robin
Last year (2007), we spent a week in the Colorado Springs and Manitou Springs area, we camped at South Meadows CG of the Pike's Nat'l Forest just outside of Woodland Park a few miles. It was a very nice site, the Camp Hosts keep the place spotless. Drawbacks were the pit toilets but they were new and kept clean and no dump site exect down the road off a dirt road with a fee of $10. Also no showers.

It was the closest Nat'l Forest CG to the two Springs (which I found, I should say). There were a couple more CG down the road as well. We enjoyed it there. We had a mini family rally with four different trailers making our Colorado Rendezvous.
http://www.sangres.com/nationalforests/pik...ounds/index.htm
http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/psicc/recreation/c...itou_camp.shtml
SOUTH MEADOWS Campground: Site has 64 camp sites with parking areas up to 30' long within the 8,000' elevation. Camping season is year round with a user fee of $15.00/per night/per site. The camp-ground has paved roads. Limited sites are reserved by calling 1-877-444-6777. Reservations may be made 240 days prior to arrival and there is a reservation fee. There is also a 2-night minimum stay if your reservation is for Friday or Saturday nights. This does not apply to sites not listed in the reservation system.
We did not do reservations.
Photos of South Meadows Camp Ground
Attached Thumbnails
South_Meadow_CG_Woodland_Park__CO.jpg   South_Meadow_Pike_Nat__l_Forest_Campground.jpg  

Attached Images

2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 12:17 PM   #37

Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')
Quote:
Anyone else up to meeting up with KenJ? We just got home today from a quick trip to Pueblo Lake (ick) but Dh was already asking where we were going next. Does anyone know of campgrounds in the Springs area. I was thinking of laying low for a few weeks before I head out for my 30th class reunion (ewwww). But what the heck, I am just not ready to put the Casita into the barn yet. Let me know! Robin
I would be up for the weekend of 26/27/28 Sept. KenJ or Robin - Any ideas on where in the Co. Spr. area? I'm good with anything from full hookups to just a flat spot to park the egg.

Robin, no whining about a 30th class reunion. We did my wife's 40th this summer and my 40th last summer.

You's justa pup.

Orlen
Orlen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 06:29 PM   #38

I would prefer some hookups since I have to attend some meetings on Fri afternoon and Sat

30 years? I wish........

Ken J
Old 09-10-2008, 07:42 PM   #39

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp / Silver Ford 150
We are outside of Beulah. It's a lovely area,about 25 miles SW of Pueblo, and I wish I could recommend everyone come down here, but I don't know of any camping areas with infrastructure. I agree with the comment about Lake Pueblo. No interest.

The road that ends at the foot of Greenhorn Mountain has some absolutely lovely camping areas, almost always deserted, two lakes, trout, gorgeous views - but no water, power, parking pads, pit toilets. End of the road camping has always been our preference. If anyone is ever interested in meeting down there, I'll provide info and will show up. However, it doesn't sound like that's what everyone wants this trip. The road will probably be closing in the next week or so anyway, but I'll check with the forest service office to verify status.

I can't meet 26th/27th due to a couple of other conflicts, but certainly would try to make a get-together in Colorado sometime. Our complicating factor is that my wife is a nurse, so weekends often find her working. On the other hand, she often gets 3-4 days off during the week, which is when we do a lot of our camping and hiking! Who says it's not a perfect world....

Barring
barring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 12:20 PM   #40

Pup, I wished! Not so much! LOL..............

Well as for the Camping, I am with you on having hookup's, just cause the last two trips a have been hookup-less. I am ready for the luxury of hookup's. Even just electric/water would be nice. But since KenJ needs full, I am willing. But I don't know of any campgrounds/rvparks down there. And my camping books are still packed in one of the million boxes I haven't go to since our move. Does anyone know of or have a campground guide that we could find a decent place to camp? Cause the 26th is approaching fast. Let us know! Robin

Barring, sorry you can't join us for this campout but hopefully we can get a spring thing planned. It would be fun to meet everyone! As far as caming during the week, that's great for us. We don't have a schedule so open to camping just about anytime.