April 22-24, 2011: NOG - N. Oregon Gathering - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Rallies, Get-togethers, Molded Meets (Archive)
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-18-2011, 05:57 PM   #101

Trailer: Escape 19 ft
Comments please on routes to the park. Heading south on I-5 there are two options: (1) go through Portland, then west on US-26 to the park or (2) go through Longview to then south on OR-47.

I am very familiar with US-26, the Sunset Highway. Oregon 47 appears to be more mountainous - has anyone traveled to LL Stub Stewart Park on OR-47?

Thanks!!
Laura & Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 06:06 PM   #102

Trailer: 1977 Surfside
Registry
The monkey puzzle bowls are fantastic, I've always been interested in the trees, never thought about how the wood grain, very cool.
theresa shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 06:41 PM   #103

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp (Egg Salad Annie)
Registry
We live in Clatskanie my wife will not ride with me up 47 with a trailer. It is a bit steep and crooked. You can come across Longview Bridge. go right and up to top of Grade Go left , go right at Hudson Park, take Apiary road to left . that takes you to 47 and on to Stubb Stewarts. I,have taken trailers up 47 and Log and Chip trucks do it all the time. It depends on your comfort level
Taylor Kissinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 08:18 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor Kissinger View Post
We live in Clatskanie my wife will not ride with me up 47 with a trailer. It is a bit steep and crooked. You can come across Longview Bridge. go right and up to top of Grade Go left , go right at Hudson Park, take Apiary road to left . that takes you to 47 and on to Stubb Stewarts. I,have taken trailers up 47 and Log and Chip trucks do it all the time. It depends on your comfort level
Thanks for the info, looks like the Portland route is the way to go.

Rick
Old 04-18-2011, 09:46 PM   #105

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura & Rick View Post
Comments please on routes to the park. Heading south on I-5 there are two options: (1) go through Portland, then west on US-26 to the park or (2) go through Longview to then south on OR-47.

I am very familiar with US-26, the Sunset Highway. Oregon 47 appears to be more mountainous - has anyone traveled to LL Stub Stewart Park on OR-47?

Thanks!!
The last time we went to Stub Stewart (which was our first time) we took I-5 south to Longview, across the bridge into Oregon and south onto 47. We will never do that again!!!!! The road is barely 2 lanes, with embankment close on one side and dropoff on the other. It is an active logging road, and passing a log truck is hair-raising! The log trucks going the same way will ride your bumper all the way.

Coming back from Stub Stewart, we wisely decided to go south (continuing downhill) from the CG and turning East on the hiway that goes between Portland and Cannon Beach, then South on I-5 to I-205, East and North on I-205 back into WA. Much, Much, Much better!

This year we are going to retrace our return path from last time. We used our IPhone to plot the course last time and it gave use every twist and turn without fail. I highly recommend that you do the same. When you leave I-205, you will actually go North on I-5 for a very short distance before turning toward the West, and eventually onto the hiway to Cannon Beach, which by-the-way, is a beautiful hiway drive all the way to Cannon Beach.

The turnoff from the Cannon Beach hiway to the CG road (OR 47?) is clearly visible from a long ways away, and the turnoff is clearly signed. Likewise, the turnoff into the CG is clearly marked as well.

See you all on Friday!

Mike
Mike Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:36 PM   #106

Mike, thanks for the input. It will be the Portland route for us. And we know about this highway. For many, many years we would vacation at Cannon Beach when we lived in the Tri-Cities. In fact we were at Cannon Beach in January. And Manzanita is another great spot on the coast, jsut south of Cannon Beach.

Rick
Old 04-19-2011, 09:10 AM   #107

Trailer: Teardrop
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Price View Post
The last time we went to Stub Stewart (which was our first time) we took I-5 south to Longview, across the bridge into Oregon and south onto 47. We will never do that again!!!!! The road is barely 2 lanes, with embankment close on one side and dropoff on the other. It is an active logging road, and passing a log truck is hair-raising! The log trucks going the same way will ride your bumper all the way.

Coming back from Stub Stewart, we wisely decided to go south (continuing downhill) from the CG and turning East on the hiway that goes between Portland and Cannon Beach, then South on I-5 to I-205, East and North on I-205 back into WA. Much, Much, Much better!

This year we are going to retrace our return path from last time. We used our IPhone to plot the course last time and it gave use every twist and turn without fail. I highly recommend that you do the same. When you leave I-205, you will actually go North on I-5 for a very short distance before turning toward the West, and eventually onto the hiway to Cannon Beach, which by-the-way, is a beautiful hiway drive all the way to Cannon Beach.

The turnoff from the Cannon Beach hiway to the CG road (OR 47?) is clearly visible from a long ways away, and the turnoff is clearly signed. Likewise, the turnoff into the CG is clearly marked as well.

See you all on Friday!

Mike
Coming from Tacoma I can't see why you would go on I205 and back track on I5. That would add about 28 miles and 30 minutes to your drive.

Tacoma, WA to L.L." Stub " Stewart State Park - Google Maps
Jim_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:39 PM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_B View Post
Coming from Tacoma I can't see why you would go on I205 and back track on I5. That would add about 28 miles and 30 minutes to your drive.

Tacoma, WA to L.L." Stub " Stewart State Park - Google Maps
Jim, we will be on I-5. I know what you mean about I-205. I-205 is good for Bandon but not Stewart! We will get on I-5 at Olympia - we'll be trucking down WA26 to Shelton, then to Olympia.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:47 PM   #109

Trailer: 1997 16 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe (aka 'The Cramper')
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Everyone bring sun!
If we knew where to find it, we'd be bringin' it!!!
See you Thursday... the Casita's staying put.
We're driving down in the Roadtrek, or Cramper II, as we call it.
xoxox
Sharen
HeathGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 05:20 AM   #110

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Leaving for the NOG in a few hours. However y'all are coming, please be safe.

Shiny side up, greasy side down!

See you there
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 06:41 AM   #111

Trailer: 1973 13 ft Compact II
We'll be there EARLY Friday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeathGal View Post
If we knew where to find it, we'd be bringin' it!!!
See you Thursday... the Casita's staying put.
We're driving down in the Roadtrek, or Cramper II, as we call it.
xoxox
Sharen
Sharen & Simon,
Can't wait to see you TWO and the many others, as well.
Is the Roadtrek a STEP UP or a STEP DOWN from the 'Cramper'?
Wait 'till you see what I got from Stephen for my Birthday...speaking about Birthdays, I've got some very 'eggs'citing news about our new TWINS!!!!
BB
PS "It's been a Long and Lonely winter...Here comes the sun, da, da, da..."
bbuehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:22 AM   #112

Name: Dave & Kathie
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21
Oregon
Registry
Our daughter -in-law just let us know about a change in plans for Easter so we will be scooting fairly early Sunday. Also, LL Stubs has added a disc (aka frisbee) golf course, if anyone is interested we will bring some discs - stop by site 73. We're headed out in a few hours - woo hoo

Simon and Sharen, heard rumors about your Roadtrek. Always admired their design team. Can't wait to see it and hear your summer plans.

Dave and Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 02:15 PM   #113

Registry
Looks to be dry we will leave noonish tommorrow. Looks to be cool at night. Put in the old dependable hot water bootles Low tech warmers, Dogs and Linda love them $15 at Rite Aid
Old 04-20-2011, 04:04 PM   #114

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Escape
Registry
When we went to the fall NOG at this campground, we took #47 south from Clatskanie and dodged the logging trucks. It was enough of an adventure that we took Taylor's alternate route homebound, but I would do it again if I had to.

In truth, I find I-5 worse than Hwy #47 on a weekday. I really don't enjoy towing on busy Interstates.

Tomorrow we plan to overnight at the Lacey, WA Walmart. Then I think we'll try to follow roads that parallel I-5 from Olympia to Longview. We'll cross the river there, take Hwy #30 south (upstream) to St Helens, and head west from there. According to Google Maps, it's Sykes Rd, Brooks Rd, Dowd Rd, Bunker Hill Rd to the Scappoose-Vernonia Highway.

Any local knowledge that says this is a bad idea?
Ron Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 05:35 PM   #115

Registry
It would be easier to cross the Longview Bridge, go right then left at top of the grade to Hudson Parcher Park. That is the next intersection. Go right maybe a mile and veer left onto APIARY ROAD.That takes you to hwy 47. go left follow 47 thru Vernonia and to turn off to State Park. Scapoose takes you to 47 but that is a long back track.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:37 PM   #116

Registry
Ron I believe that is a back track of the way I directed you to go home last time I attended. Also Vernonia Golf Course is up and running ..
Old 04-20-2011, 05:42 PM   #117

Registry
Understood, Taylor. That worked well for us the last time, and I would recommend it for people coming down from Seattle. Definitely better than going all the way to Portland, and less white-knuckly than 47 over the pass.

The point of the route I am discussing is just to go somewhere we have never been before. We'd reduce the amount of back-tracking by turning off #30 at St Helens instead of Scappoose, although that puts us on smaller roads.

I have just started packing. The first thing in the TV was the golf bag.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:48 PM   #118

Registry
Good deal enjoy the adventure , Must be Golf season the lawn mowers are all running and the weather will be dryerrrrrrrrr
Old 04-20-2011, 10:29 PM   #119

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
[QUOTE=Jim_B;245408]Coming from Tacoma I can't see why you would go on I205 and back track on I5. That would add about 28 miles and 30 minutes to your drive.

We camp for relaxation. We are both retired, and now are in no hurry to get anywhere. I tow at about 50-55, MAX. It has been many years since I drove I-5 thru Portland. We started taking I-205 as soon as it was finished.

Since we are in no hurry, we take the most relaxing way to get anywhere, regardless of the number of extra miles. Going by I-5/I-205/ then backtracking a little on I-5, is a relatively low-stress no-brainer for us.

Your mileage may very

See yuh there,

Mike
Mike Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:55 PM   #120

Registry
Mike, the path that Taylor describes will take about the same time, but save 50 miles compared to 205. Pleasant drive through good backcountry roads. Real gas money savings. Entirely unlike 47 from Clatskanie. At least have a look on your iPhone before you decide for certain.