April 22-24, 2011: NOG - N. Oregon Gathering - Page 8 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2011, 07:28 PM   #141
Administrator

Trailer: Argosy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Price View Post
I came home from the NOG and immediately started preparing a 360 degree panorama of the East Loop. I had picked a camera location that allowed me to get at least a part of every egg. I used my HD Canon camcorder in still photo mode.

I had to spend hours lowering the resolution of 12 photos, creating the panorama, determining that the file was still too big, lowering resolution again, creating a new panorama, still file was too large, over and over again, until I got it down to less than 400KB. The original panorama file was about 12 MB, so you can understand how much time I spent.

Got on the site and started to upload, only to discover this site no longer allows *.mov files! What a disappointment!

Last year I was able to upload one, so I never thought to check the format before doing all that work.

Any reason for the change, or was it just an oversite?

Mike
Mike - we made this change with the software conversion at least a year ago and to meet increasing site security issues but... there is a work around. You can load the movie to youtube and then post a link here to the youtube video. If you have enabled embedding at youtube the movie will actually play in the post here - no down load by members will be needed to view.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:36 PM   #142

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Can someone point me at the process of uploading photos or videos on UTube?

Mike
Mike Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:15 AM   #143

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Mike go here and create an account, then follow the menu prompts. It's really very easy: YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 11:36 PM   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Mike go here and create an account, then follow the menu prompts. It's really very easy: YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.
Donna, I followed your info and got an account, uploaded the 3,760KB *.mov file without any trouble, but when I attempted to "play" the file, I discovered that it had loaded it rotated 90 degrees! Consequently, it plays it sideways (which means it plays it vertically up or down (I can't tell which).

All I can figure is that it saw the file as a "portrait" image and rotated the file so the image was taller than the width.

The format of the *.MOV file was not recognized as a QuickTime VR (Virtual Reality) file. which would normally play in the QuickTime player at about 400 x 300 pixels.

Instead, Utube saw it as a JPG file of 2565 bytes, and "played" it at 80 x 60 pixels, vertically ;-(. It then flips (vertically) thru about three images and stops.

If you Google swisstrip02, about the fourth item down you will see the Utube URL for my VR file: 2011 Spring NOG Panorama_Hi Res.MOV

Check the "Properties" of the file, and you will see that it has been recognized as *.JPG file, rather than a *.mov file?

The *.mov file was created from 12 overlapping (about 25%) *.JPG files, each HD (1920 x1080 pixels) at 300 pixels/inch. The final (overlapped) image is 57.6 inches wide by 3.5 inches tall.

If you recall when I earlier loaded a similar *.mov file onto this board, the viewer simply clicked on the file which launched the QuickTime VR Viewer and showed a still image of the first frame. Only when the viewer put the mouse over the image and held down the left button and moved the mouse in any direction did the file "play", moving the "window" in the direction the mouse was moving. The viewer could move and hold the mouse to the left or right, and the screen would continue to "rotate" around and around, until the mouse button was released. Also, the further to the left or right the mouse was moved from the image center, the faster the panorama would spin.

I am sure that if I sent you the file and you put it on your PC and clicked on it, it would do what I just described. I cannot imagine how this thing got so mixed up.

I guess I will have to give up on Utube, unless you can figure out what went wrong.

Mike
Old 05-01-2011, 12:37 AM   #145

Where there is a will, there is a way!

I have loaded the small version (very small - 290KB!) 2011 spring NOG panorama on the CasitaClub.com site and it can be viewed as a Quicktime *.MOV file.

It can be opened and "played" as I explained in the previous post above.

NOG - Northern Oregon Gathering - The Casita Club Forums

Mike