Georgia Spring Rally - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2007, 11:35 AM   #1

Trailer: Cadet 1985 / 2006 Element
This morning there is snow on the Cadet; it must think it is still in Canada or Ohio. Anyway, I have agreed to host/organize a Georgia rally in the spring.

I am booked up during May, but that leaves us most weekends in April and all of June. Palm Sunday is April 1 and Easter is April 8; other than being days a lot of folks are in church, they are also big weeks for camping. In March most of my weekends are free, but the water levels in the lakes may still be down.

We need to start talking about a date and a place. The place may dictate the dates, so let's think about a place first...I hope no one suggests Valdosta...5 hours from us!

Then, we will need some one to oversee the welcome eating, the Saturday potluck (more eating), and maybe a Sunday pancake send-off (even more eating). There's a pattern emerging here.

Anyone want to organize some other thing to do? Our Cadet won't be anywhere near finished, but a shakedown cruise will be good for us, and I am sure other campers will have lots of suggestions for improving it.

Let the suggestions begin!
DonInChatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 12:23 PM   #2

Trailer: Casita 17 ft 2004
Don, why not Valdosta? I will go stand in the corner now.

My suggestion would be in Southern Georgia. It is warmer for April camping and it does not have bug issues that time of year. Last night I looked for a place to suggest but have not gotten there yet. Hey Ya'll, any ideas on where to camp on the Suwannee River?
Susan Tiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 02:27 PM   #3

Trailer: 81 Trillium 5500 (Pearl)
There are some nice state parks on the GA - S. Carolina border. I don't know if they are open year round though.

Kathy
Kathy & Doug Roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 03:30 PM   #4

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Send a message via Yahoo to Al V
i will keep an eye out on this one too.

Landsford Canal State Park and Lake Wateree State Recreation Area are great places to camp it has been a while since i have ben to landsford last time there i had to walk the canoe through the shallows but i was told that the palce can be a monster when the water is high.
Al V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 08:09 PM   #5

Trailer: 1993 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe (a true 'Dream House'!)
One possibility might be FDR State Park. It's just N of Columbus and has LOTS of nearby attractions including Pine Mtn. and Callaway Gardens. They have over 100 sites that would accomodate eggs (with water and elec.) and picnic shelters for group activities.

THANK you DonInChatt for your willingness to work on this!

FDR State Park
Lorene W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 08:45 PM   #6

How about this one? I hear great things about Amnicolola State Park

Amnicolola State Park
Old 02-01-2007, 09:03 PM   #7

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft 1982
Send a message via Yahoo to Benita
Georgia has magnificent state parks. The problem with trying to arrange a gathering for a large group using them is the state has a first-come-first-serve reservation policy. Some of the more popular parks have regulars who book ahead annually. That means working around them. Only a couple of state parks are willing to work with large groups and those groups are tenters.

There were 27 trailers at last year's gathering. So, Amicalola with 24 total sites wasn't an option. Most of the state parks weren't an option for that same reason. I'm not sure of the percentage but most of the state parks maxed out around 15-25 RV/tent sites. Unicoi, Vogel and FDR are among the largest parks with more than 100 sites. They are very popular parks and the rangers can give you a clue as to how booked they will be for a certain weekend and if its possible for your group to be located near each other.
Benita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 09:07 PM   #8

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft 1982
Send a message via Yahoo to Benita
The good thing is you are inquiring while it is still cold. The warmer it gets, the harder it is to book exactly what you want.
Benita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 04:15 AM   #9

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Send a message via Yahoo to Al V
that one advantage to haveing an early spring rallet there are not a lot of campers out at that time. Prememorial day camping is a whole lot easyer then mid summer camping for sure. the only way to find out for sure is to check with the reservation system then post it
Al V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 10:08 PM   #10

Trailer: Trillium
I may have messed up my last post I dont see it anywhere but count the Martins in on this shindig

Don Martin
D Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 12:36 PM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
What about stone mountain park? It's got 400+ camping sites, and they're quite used to big groups that come for festivals, pow-wows and such.

It's a private facility and therefore rather expensive, and it's suburban rather than rural.

On the positive side, it's a nice facility, it's very close to Atlanta where there's lots to do, including the GA aquarium. (a must see)

There's also several army corps of engineer campgrounds around the resevoirs with 80+ sites to consider.
tomWc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 04:31 PM   #12

Trailer: 81 Trillium 5500 (Pearl)
How about Mistletoe or Elijah Clark State Parks on the lakes in eastern Ga. They are both big lake front campgrounds.

Does anyone know of any campgrounds around Helen or Dillard?

Kathy
Kathy & Doug Roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 05:48 PM   #13

Trailer: Casita 17 ft 2004
Kathy, Elijah Clark State Park is about an hour drive from where I live. We have been camping there for aprox 20 years. I of course love that park. I know what the Picnic Shelters are, but I am not sure what the Group Shelters are. It is more rustic than other rally places, which is sure fine with me. I am just not one that thinks you need a full service kitchen in a big building to have a pot luck meal.. after all you are camping.

I know nothing about Mistletoe.

We are getting some good ideas!
Susan Tiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 11:31 PM   #14

Trailer: 1984 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel and 1982 Scamp 16 ft and 1984 Starlite Motorcycle Camper and 1967 Apache Pop-up
Send a message via AIM to Jim Lewis
Hello,
How about Lake Hartwell? I've heard there are several campgrounds, and at least one state park there. We've been through there a couple of times, but never camped on the lake. Seems like a nice place. Just a thought. Is anyone familiar with that area?

Jim
N. Carolina
Jim Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 05:25 PM   #15

Trailer: 2007 Scamp 13 ft / 2005 Jeep Wrangler 6 cyl
Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Scallan
Talking

If you all do this thing in April, please let me know...I'll be pulling my new Scamp 13 down form the factory and I'd like to join what will be my first outing. Just e-mail me if possible since I can't always get to a computer other than to check my e mail. Thanks...Bob

LIFE IS GOOD !
Robert Scallan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 08:55 PM   #16

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Just e-mail me if possible since I can't always get to a computer other than to check my e mail. Thanks...Bob
Not to mess up this topic, but Bob no one can e-mail you...you've set it to private. If you want to receive e-mails, you'll need to change that in My Controls.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 07:43 PM   #17

Ok, this Saturday (Mar 3) I am going to visit two campgrounds to actually see which is is the best deal. There's a third on my list if the the first 2 don't pan out. Details by Sunday....I promise!
Old 03-01-2007, 07:57 AM   #18

Trailer: 1978 Scamp 13 ft / 2003 Honda Element EX 2wd
Hi all!

I'm new to this forum. I'm going to be back and forth between Ga and FL and will be keeping an interest in a Ga rally for April.

I've been through the Dillard area of the Smokies the past couple weeks and know it's an interesting area to. visit. It's more breathtaking as one gets closer to the N.C. Border. With a lot of mom and pop stores (and a WalMart for the urban campers!) Along old and new US 441.

Another thought. Anyone have any info on Lake Altoona Campgrounds? It's a Army Corps of Engineer facility and is about 20 miles north of Atlanta!

Gary Mic
1978 Scamp 13'
2003 Honda Element EX
Broward County, FL
Gary Mic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 08:42 AM   #19

Quote:
Another thought. Anyone have any info on Lake Altoona Campgrounds? It's a Army Corps of Engineer facility and is about 20 miles north of Atlanta!
Hi, Gary! Good to hear from another Element owner!

Alatoona is one of the places I will look at on Saturday. The others are east and west of Atlanta.

I'm hoping for a dry weekend...we have lots of rain today.
Old 03-01-2007, 04:12 PM   #20

Trailer: Trillium
Don

Glad to hear you are working on the gathering. We are taking our Trillium on her first outing to Dahlonaga Ga this weekend at the Eufalla River Campground, its about an hour and a half north of Atlanta. I will let you know if its a good canidate for the Ga gathering.

Don

Quote:
Hi, Gary! Good to hear from another Element owner!

Alatoona is one of the places I will look at on Saturday. The others are east and west of Atlanta.

I'm hoping for a dry weekend...we have lots of rain today.
D Martin is offline   Reply With Quote