Get together - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2003, 05:46 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Get together

Hi all
I was just looking at my North American Map.I drew a line south from Winnipeg Manitoba to Elpaso Texas.From there a line over to South California.Then a line North to Vancouver and from there East back to Winnipeg,Now Draw aline from Vancouver to ElPasso Texas and then draw aline from Winnipeg to South California.Where the two lines intersec which should be about Salt Lake City area.
A camping Round up.This area would cover all western US and Western Canada.Of course every one would be welcome.My thought would be 2004.Start on Canada Day and end on Independence Day.What are your thoughts.

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 07:36 AM   #2

watch out

Ches;

A bunch of angry Texans are forming in El Paso to go to Canada to defend Texas's honor.

Old 02-07-2003, 07:41 AM   #3

Meet up in El Paso? Naw...

El Paso's too far away.

Ches, if you make it as far as El Paso, you've only got to drive another 12 hours or so to get to my house. Probably around 15 hours to Nick's.

El Paso isn't even in the same time zone as most of the rest of Texas.

Old 02-07-2003, 08:10 AM   #4

Hey, Ches, we're in. There are very interesting things to visit in SLC like the Mormon Temple and the LDS genealogy center. But it's not the greatest place (IMO) for camping. Might like to stretch down to the southern Utah desert where there are drop-dead gorgeous areas.

Quote:
Orginally posted by Mary F

El Paso isn't even in the same time zone as most of the rest of Texas.
Mary, I'm not sure the people of El Paso consider that a negative.:wink

Old 02-07-2003, 08:16 AM   #5

Now, George!

I didn't mean it as a negative, either. Just as a puzzlement about Ches' choice of points for creating his triangle.

But, no matter. One of these years I would love to go back to Utah again. 2004's probably not going to be it, though.

You're right about camping near SLC... it was years ago but I well remember the huge mosquitos we encountered. We couldn't believe it! Bigger than on the Texas Gulf Coast, and just as thick. Beautiful country however, especially coming in to Provo.

:sunny

Old 02-07-2003, 10:12 AM   #6

has one good quality, I have never been there, so I'd like to. :) we are talking Salt Lake right? could do research. find my other root. see who's on that other foot of the tree. hope the building has windows.

Old 02-07-2003, 06:39 PM   #7

Hi
Reason For Salt lake was that it seemed central.Anyway lets see what kind if response we get.Nothing is written in stone.At this stage its just an idea.

Old 02-07-2003, 08:02 PM   #8

Huh?

When you live in Penn's Woods, Salt Lake City ain't hardly "central" no how!

Sheesh, don't they teach gee-aw-graphy in Canadia anymore?

Old 02-07-2003, 10:38 PM   #9

Robert
Its Central to the Western US and Western Canada.;)

Old 02-08-2003, 12:58 PM   #10

Central

To get close to "Central", draw a line from Houlton, MA to San Diego, CA, and from Seattle, WA to Miami, FL. That should get you pretty close to the center, and would include people on both coast, Mexico and Canada. :L

Old 02-08-2003, 02:47 PM   #11

Hi Bob
You are probably right.You know some of these maps are a bit off scale.I just did it fast.My main concern was to try to get something going.I don't know that area well but would like other peoples thoughts and ideas to see if it could work and locations.:wave

Old 02-08-2003, 02:58 PM   #12

Bob

That is one weird avatar you've got there!

Old 02-08-2003, 05:19 PM   #13

Quote:
Orginally posted by Bob Hunt

To get close to "Central", draw a line from Houlton, MA to San Diego, CA, and from Seattle, WA to Miami, FL. That should get you pretty close to the center, and would include people on both coast, Mexico and Canada. :L
That's good for me. won't take me long to get there, I think it's right on top of my house. :omy or not.

Old 02-08-2003, 06:09 PM   #14

Central?

How about Central west or northwest?
1) Remember this is an international club. (I'm even overlooking Aki and Lex on of the next statement.) But if you asked Ches to draw a couple of imaginary lines diagonally across Canada and US, I think you're going to be traveling quite a ways north of someone's border. Got all your docs ready?:kiss
2) Last year was the central US Casita rally (we would have loved for all the rest to come, but unfortunately we didn't know all of you then.):weep
This year the big rally is on the east coast (southeast). Many from the west aren't going. So next year, it's gonna be out west, right? :shg

Of course, if the price of gas keeps going up (predicted) like it has in the last three days, lots of us may be camping in the driveway.
I vote with Ches. In fact I'd even come to BC (oil cartel willing).

Think snow--or rain. (We don't have any, where we should have it, thank you.):snowman :umb

Old 02-10-2003, 11:53 AM   #15

Medical issues!

Ches i like your suggestion ,but I am really curious to know how our U.S. friends deal with ''out of country health insurance ? for us pre-existing conditions +age =impossible .Is it the same for those of you with the same problems?
My husband would have to pay $400+$'s ,cad. for a 10day trip to the U.S. Of course his age is really ''up there''
How do you all deal with travel insurance with pre-ex conditions?

Old 02-10-2003, 10:39 PM   #16

Pippa
This is one of the reasons I threw this idea out there so early.Lots of pros and cons.Health care is a good one for older folks.Something else to think about.

Old 02-11-2003, 10:10 AM   #17

Quote:

turns out [b]this spot is North Platte, Nebraska.

Old 02-11-2003, 10:12 AM   #18

Not to mention

Gas prices, shrinking mutual funds etc etc, i hardly dare buy green bananas these days,Ches:banana (this guy slipped past me)But just thinking about such an event helps. Nice idea!
I'm thinking that the travel ins .issue is mainly a North to South one.

Old 02-11-2003, 10:15 AM   #19

Nabraska!

Good Morning Jana !you slipped past me with that green banana:)
I was in Nabraska once !

Old 02-11-2003, 02:59 PM   #20

Quote:
Orginally posted by Thomas and Janifer

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Quote:

turns out [b]this spot is North Platte, Nebraska.[/quote]Jana, Did you factor elevation? You know that the shortest distance between to points is a straight line. Now from the west coast we can’t go in a straight line. We must go up then down to travel forward a short distance. The up and the down is MUCH harder the cruising along in high gear on flat level eastern bottom land, right?