MN Jun 14-17, 2012: Eggs at the Fairgrounds, Bemidji - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2012, 01:03 PM   #41

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
The Pinewood fire tower at the fairgrounds is 80 feet high. It was saved and moved to the fairgrounds.

Aiton Fire Tower is at Itasca State Park. It is 100 feet tall. One starts that climb after walking uphill for 1/2 mile. Not sure what hours it is open.

You guys can do the math on how many steps that is.

I have to do more research Monday during working hours to see if we can indeed schedule a time.

Also on Monday I will look into how likely one could get tickets to the Paul Bunyan Theater without reservations. It is the oldest professional summer stock theater in the state. They perform in the old Chief Theater.

I'll try to post more information Monday and Tuesday.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:33 PM   #42

Name: Lil
Trailer: '84 13' Scamp & '14 homebuilt Benroy Teardrop
Minnesota
Registry
I'm hoping to leave Perham about noon on Thursday, so I should be there by 2 or so. Will I still be able to climb the tower with you folks? Looking forward to this getaway.
Lil M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:04 PM   #43

Lil, thanks for reminding me you won't arrive til Thur. I'll ask about early evening time. Hope the sun will be far enough west that we can take pictures of the eggs from up there.

My second choice will be early Friday morning. Not sure when Tyler will be leaving. All depends on when/if we can get the lock off.

I think there are only 4 or 5 doing this, so am trying to work out the time that will work for everyone. Sadly I won't be able to do it. Not afraid of heights, I just can't handle the motion.

nancy
Old 06-03-2012, 07:38 PM   #44

Minnesota
Registry
It MOVES!!!

Old 06-03-2012, 09:26 PM   #45

Name: Tyler
Trailer: 72 Cloud
Wisconsin
Registry
I was planning on leaving fairly early Friday morning but I have nothing set in stone. If the climb i Friday morning early enough I will stick around for it. I am just hoping to make the trek across ND and to Teddy Roosevelt N.P. before the ranger stations close which I think is around 4:30pm.
EddyEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:49 AM   #46

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
No time pressure, Nancy! Right?

If I am there, I'll climb. And if not, I won't. Don't worry about me a bit, it's a vacation after all, I'll be footloose and fancy free.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:21 PM   #47

Fire tower. 4:00 Thursday the 14th. Our other option was 7:00 am Friday. I took Thursday. Cast in stone now, unless we have 30 mph wind or rain. Then it is a no go, or beg for another try at 7:00 the next morning.

Nancy
Old 06-04-2012, 04:49 PM   #48

Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
Cast in stone now, unless we have 30 mph wind or rain. Nancy
Don't say that!! You might jinx the weather!

I'm so looking forward to next Thursday! I said that already, didn't I?
Old 06-04-2012, 09:09 PM   #49

Wisconsin
Registry
Thanks Nancy for arranging the climb. Looking forward to finally crossing off "Climb a Fire Tower" off my bucket list.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:48 PM   #50

Library Book Festival

Ann Bancroft (polar explorer) will be at the Bemidji High School Auditorium on Friday, June 15 at 7:00. I picked up two free tickets in case anyone in our group would like to attend. If more than two are interested there may be more tickets available.

Author Wendell Affield will present a book release and reading of "Muddy Jungle River" on Saturday, June 16 at 4:30.

The Bemidji Library Book Festival also has writer workshops (free) Monday-Friday. One would need to sign up for those workshops via the library. Kitchigami Regional Library System - KRLS

We have changed our schedule a bit on our web site. Added a breakfast pot luck for anyone interested. We will be adding another activity for anyone interested. John Berquist Concert at Depot at 2:00 Saturday. No admission, free will offering. Fred and I would be happy to fill our cars with anyone who wants a ride.

Of course you may have all your activities already planned. Everything is optional.

Nancy
Old 06-09-2012, 07:17 AM   #51

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Registry
How's the weather looking your way. Long range forcast says rain all week?

Warm and light rain is not a problem, but heavy rain makes for a lot of inside time.
Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 10:15 AM   #52

Minnesota
Registry
Just checked weather dot com and they're predicting scattered T-storms and light winds. Doesn't sound too bad...she says with fingers crossed.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:19 AM   #53

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
My MN trip is postponed until the latter half of July... but I hope you folks have tons of fun at Bemidji!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 03:19 PM   #54

Wisconsin
Registry
I will be there regardless of the weather conditions.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:30 AM   #55

Trailer: 2003 13 ft Scamp
Lee and Lynda from Duluth are unable to attend your Bemidji event. See you down the road at a later time.
russelld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:56 PM   #56

Water

Just warning everyone again about the water situation. If you arrive in Bemidji with an empty water tank it would be will worth the $5 fee to go dump and fill at LakeBemidji State Park. Bring your water jugs and we can do water runs with our two cars that have park stickers. I will not be using the fairground water. sorry folks, I had no idea the water was so awful when I planned this.

It is looking like a 40/50 chance of rain. There should not be any mud, the ground drains fairly well. Maybe we could put out barrels to catch rain water
By the time the water gets to the well it must go through an iron pit.

The first week show of "the Spitfire Grill" at the Paul Bunyan Playhouse went over well. If people want tickets they should get them when they arrive. $22.
The Historic Chief Theatre - HOME
To order tickets online there is an extra charge. We were told to phone in for a reservation to avoid the online charge. I'll try to remember to check in with the playhouse daily to see how filled up they get for the days of our gathering for people who might want a night out.

Nancy
Old 06-13-2012, 09:47 PM   #57

Wisconsin
Registry
First night at "Eggs at the Fairgrounds" and the boys and I are having a blast. Waffles around the campfire in the morning and if the weather cooperates we will be going on a walk in the bog. The boy are especially excited for the fire tower climb. Looking forward to morning.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:27 AM   #58

Registry
Glad your haveing a great time. We are almost packed and will make our way there, hope to leave Winnipeg around 9am. Hope the weather co-operates I would love to do the fire tower climb as well. See you all there this afternoon.

Rick and Shirley
Tim and Satira
Old 06-17-2012, 05:50 PM   #59

Registry
Just got home an hour ago from the meet. AWESOME time, nice to see old freinds and new friends.

Let me know where and when next years Rally is and we will see if we can get out there again.

Rick, Shirley, Tim and Satira
Old 06-20-2012, 12:05 PM   #60

Wrap-up

Many old friends and some new friends came to the Bemidji Eggs at the Fairgrounds gathering. Twenty-two rigs showed up. Folks came from MN, WI, IA, IL, NE, FL and from Manitoba, too! We sure enjoyed seeing everyone.

Our eggs and sausage breakfast Thursday included a couple nice surprises: fresh home-made bread toasted on a open fire and blueberry waffles cooked on an open fire (thanks to Diane, David, and Jim). We also enjoyed (?) dealing with an unexpected challenge. High wind and driving rain. It was hard to keep the fires lit under the eggs, sausages, and waffles. Those that weren't holding down Lyndon's tent so that the canvases could be removed were scurrying to rescue awnings and easy-ups. Memories are made of this!

We were also treated to unexpected invitations to tour the Bemidji Woolen Mills, the Bemidji Fire Department main station, a presentation on the fire towers of the US, and a presentation on the NOvA Far Detector facility being constructed at Ash River, MN, to study neutrinos (thanks, Bill). A special thanks goes out the the Bemidji community members who just happened by with those invitations.

We had a great time. Hope to see you all down the road.
Attached Thumbnails
Eggs.jpg